Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

When you first think about it, you think pffttt oh it’s howdy.  But then after further review, you think why would someone make up that kind of thing happening to them?   

That’s exactly what I thought too. At first I was like, come on. But, at this point, I’m not making judgements. But I was surprised (or not?) to see him there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lowend said:

Is he still on staff with SOA?  The staff pages have been scrubbed and the only people listed are the BOD.

Yes. He's the Executive Director of the organization. David was brought on when all of this started to hit the fan back in the early fall of 2021. He was hired as an objective outsider with no direct ties to the corps, either as a performer or a staffer. He also signed the statement outlining the corps decision to sit out the 2022 competitive season, along with the corps director and the SOA board chairman. 

Edited by GBugler
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If this truly happened, it is horrific.

If it is not true,making such a false claim is also horrific.

Yep. Either way you slice it, not great.

• Like 1

Its this stuff just everywhere?

Link here is to assault on the Carmel High School basketball team a decade ago. On a bus with three coaches as passengers. Something similar and around the same time involved the Mishawaka (Indiana) High School wrestling team.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/carmel-students-charged-four-basketball-coaches-resign/531-cbbcfc98-bdf1-4cff-bf67-7ab9b993d6f1

Edited by mjoakes
Bad writing.

"I'll take a little more gravy on those mashed potatoes".  They just 'double-downed' on their social media policy. Think this is a re-release from a previous post?

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=498498968507497&set=a.294201168937279 

"Spirit of Atlanta would like to state the following out of respect for all members in our baby blue family. We believe that open and honest dialogue within the drum corps community is helpful in
every way. We welcome constructive, informed criticism, but messages which disparage others
without due process have no place within drum corps. We greatly appreciate your understanding."

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

54 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I've worked as both a radio news reporter/editor and in PR.

The news reporter (and libertarian) in me agrees with you about not suppressing speech. But the PR person in me would want that FB page tightly controlled. LOL

As a former journalist and someone that has managed major corporations social media programs for 15 years, I absolutely agree with this. The fact that this thread hasn't been completely shut down is mind boggling to me. I cringe everytime I see it's still up. Every hour it's up is costing them months of work to rebuild and restore their reputation. It's crisis communication 101, and they've failed miserably. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

"I'll take a little more gravy on those mashed potatoes".  They just 'double-downed' on their social media policy. Think this is a re-release from a previous post?

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=498498968507497&set=a.294201168937279 

"Spirit of Atlanta would like to state the following out of respect for all members in our baby blue family. We believe that open and honest dialogue within the drum corps community is helpful in
every way. We welcome constructive, informed criticism, but messages which disparage others
without due process have no place within drum corps. We greatly appreciate your understanding."

My God they keep shooting themselves in the foot. 

• Like 1

FWIW, if you are friends with the person being harassed on facebook, you can report it through facebook as harassment. Same if you are the one being directly harassed. If you are not able to do so, then use the next-closest report reason. I have used "mis-information" for those vile document screenshots.

• Like 1