Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

3 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

Unfortunately, their response  seems to concentrate solely on the talent night events. However, the reported sexual assaults are way beyond “misconduct” and seem to be getting lost in the discussion. (I’d also argue that the term poorly captures the severity of the talent night events as well.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

Who are these people?  Do they have any power or authority, or is it just a blog?  

"Rookie talent night is hazing"

Huh!?  I mean if it's done Caligula-style as what has been alleged at Spirit of Atlanta then yes, but a talent night performed by rookies is not "hazing" unless you don't know the definition of the word.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What was the quote during the Pioneer mess? “What goes on in the corps, stays in the corps “? 
People don’t frigging learn.

'If your dad is beating you, you wouldn't go tell people" was the quote that stuck with me from the Pioneer ordeal...

• Thanks 1

Let’s see… DCI ups maximum number of members. Lingering Covid means less people would want to tour. And more crap like this which would give some people (and their parents) second thoughts on touring.

Yeah DCI really needs to sit back with their thumb up their ### ($1 to my blue collar dad) on this. And worst timing on increasing member numbers 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Who are these people?  Do they have any power or authority, or is it just a blog?  

"Rookie talent night is hazing"

Huh!?  I mean if it's done Caligula-style as what has been alleged at Spirit of Atlanta then yes, but a talent night performed by rookies is not "hazing" unless you don't know the definition of the word.  

I believe they helped uncover Troopers stuff. They're becoming more known in the community. 

MAASIN (Marching Arts Access, Safety & Inclusion Network) is a community-led effort to increase equity and safety in DCI, WGI, DCA, and any ensemble within the purview of the marching arts community including scholastic ensembles. We are entirely volunteer run by concerned and dedicated marching arts community members from a variety of performance and staff backgrounds.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

If I were management at BD I would put the ringleader’s current contract on hold at the very least. They don’t need a toxic member (allegedly) from another corps infecting their ranks. 

I’m guessing that happens right away.  I doubt there is any benefit to keeping them that remotely justifies the risk and association.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

What - member safety?  Checking... not seeing it on the list.  I guess not.

I’m shocked (insert sarcasm here)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Unfortunately, their response  seems to concentrate solely on the talent night events. However, the reported sexual assaults are way beyond “misconduct” and seem to be getting lost in the discussion. (I’d also argue that the term poorly captures the severity of the talent night events as well.)

My hunch is MAASIN is playing it safe with what they say 

• Like 2