Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

So frustrated with this activity.  DCI will go hard after the lower corps on the totem pole but will not make an example and stand up for what’s right across the board. If they truly want to make a difference all these allegations should be enforced retroactively as well. This includes corps like:

the Cadets

the Cavaliers

Santa Clara Vanguard 

Phantom Regiment

Mandarins

Troopers 

Spirit of Atlanta

Crossmen

Even hearing about r*pe at Bluecoats based on someone’s response to the girl  

And so many more I am missing out on.  If it takes out half our activity for a couple years, so be it.  

I could care less if you are an alum and wanting to defend your corps to the end. Blacklist me, ban me from DCP, etc. etc.  

It’s about making a positive difference and going through a complete renaissance of this activity.  

This is not an overreaction. This is one parent talking, an educator/administrator in the school system and someone who loves this activity very much.  I’m just tired...very tired. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, FTNK said:

In my rookie season (2004) a member of my section was physically assaulted in the gym by a group of vets after lights out. The next day, one of our staff “chewed out” the entire corps. But one statement in that speech has alway stood out: “If this were the real world, you would be in jail.”If this were the real world. Nothing has changed.

Time for corps management to realize they ARE in the real world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well DCI is the corps… Which is the biggest reason why this #### isn’t going to get better. Too busy making sure they dont hurt each other’s bu$iness.

They hide behind that DCI is the corps bs so the buck stops nowhere.  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 2:07 AM, LoveKathyG said:

While I acknowledge that I don't know enough about how drum corps operate on tour in the modern era, it strikes me that music educators are ill-equipped to manage issues of member conduct.

Edited by BrassTeacher
Apparently it is ok to insult an entire profession, so I deleted my reaction
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

So frustrated with this activity.  DCI will go hard after the lower corps on the totem pole but will not make an example and stand up for what’s right across the board. If they truly want to make a difference all these allegations should be enforced retroactively as well. This includes corps like:

the Cadets

the Cavaliers

Santa Clara Vanguard 

Phantom Regiment

Mandarins

Troopers 

Spirit of Atlanta

Crossmen

Even hearing about r*pe at Bluecoats based on someone’s response to the girl  

And so many more I am missing out on.  If it takes out half our activity for a couple years, so be it.  

I could care less if you are an alum and wanting to defend your corps to the end. Blacklist me, ban me from DCP, etc. etc.  

It’s about making a positive difference and going through a complete renaissance of this activity.  

This is not an overreaction. This is one parent talking, an educator/administrator in the school system and someone who loves this activity very much.  I’m just tired...very tired. 

You’re absolutely right but people care more about seeing their drumcorps than actual human beings being damaged.  Probably for life.  Because this stuff stays with you.

• Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They hide behind that DCI is the corps bs so the buck stops nowhere.  

I don’t even think they care if they are hiding or not. When something hits they just want to cover each other’s butts (CYA). 
Thinking of organized crime meeting of the families. #1 make money and don’t hurt business #2 no bad publicity

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

2 things - 

1.  Whatever happened to Pioneer apparently did not make an impression on SoA, Phantom, Mandarins, Troopers, Perhaps others.  Which is why I am saying perhaps it is time to act decisively:  Do not allow SoA to participate in DCI.and ban everyone, from the BoD, Director, down to potato peeler on the food truck from DCI.

2.  The OP of the accusations should keep a log of who said what & when.   This info may be useful to DCI or law enforcement as the situation is investigated further.

Is there a reason you didn’t mention Cavaliers in your comment? Perhaps others???? So everyone mentioned is guilty before proven innocent? Really? No bueno.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrassTeacher said:

How dare you?!?!?!? How DARE you make such a sweeping generalization??

THIS music educator would like a retraction of this statement

So what training does a music educator have in this regard?

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s double-secret probation. 

Zero point zero on DCIs part

• Like 2

Like I said when the Cadets situation happened,  DCI needs to require every corps to have a compliance officer on site for the entire tour.  This person needs to be independent and beyond reproach. Someone who the member, staff, volunteers can feel comfortable to open up to and report compliance violation.