Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

6 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

Had this happened in a school environment, there would have been disciplinary action (and likely removal) involving multiple members, and any adult (including the director) who did not respond fully to what was going on would be subject to termination

That is exactly correct. And if a corps is going to bill themselves as an educational experience (and they all do,) then they should adopt at least part of this model. Granted that there needs to be a disciplinary board, but still it's a valid model.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

Like most corps, Spirit of Altanta has a board of directors.  The board is the overseer, and has the right/obligation to terminate anyone who does not handle their responsibilities, especially including anything involving the well-being and safety of the members.  The main problem that I see is that other than one member removed after a month of abusive behavior, nobody else was held accountable, and also events reported about the rookie talent show were ignored.  DCI has placed the corps on a 2 year probation with expected steps during that time.   What concerns me is that it is likely that individuals (staff) who did not properly respond to things possibly remain in their positions.  Had this happened in a school environment, there would have been disciplinary action (and likely removal) involving multiple members, and any adult (including the director) who did not respond fully to what was going on would be subject to termination.  Termination of any and all staff/management who did not respond properly and promptly should be a quick responsibility of the board here.  Doing so will send a clear message to staff and management that they have a serious responsibility to respond promptly, properly, and professionally, to anything reported to them by anyone in the organization.....members, staff, support staff, etc......you can put a million pages of documents together on "policies", but if there are not consequences for individuals/all involved when incidents such as these occur, the documents are meaningless.  I do not see where DCI demanded investigation/actions involving all involved....just policies "moving forward".  If I were a parent of a young SOA prospect, I would want assurance that the individuals who failed to act and or/"downplayed" things are no longer there.  I also think that DCI needs to have a "do not hire" list....when someone is removed from staff/management for reasons such as these, they should no longer have the opportunity to show up at another corps......ditto with member misconduct.......

You hit every point I just told my wife. 

So DCI has put SoA on ‘probation’.  
From a practical standpoint what does this mean?  No (or reduced) appearance payments?  Going on first at every contest?   Mandatory disclosure to potential host schools that they are on probation for not properly addressing sexual assault of a member?  What happens if within the probation period another incident happens?  Similarly, what happens if SoA fails to accomplish what DCI has told them to during the probation?   

I’m not trying to be a smart-*ss.  I really just want to know the answer. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, year1buick said:

The fact that it took the victim reporting this publicly before DCI and Spirit would reveal their actions on this is incomprehensible and indefensible. Especially considering we’re a couple of months into the audition season. Or perhaps that was their point? 

I will say this. I'm not as angry at DCI for their slowness in responding as I am at So A. In the corporate world, if you go to HR with a complaint, there is an expectation of a certain level of privacy before making a public statement while they investigate etc. Without knowing when decisions were made and the timeline in which they communicated their findings to the corps, I am going to withhold judgement on that one. Now if they told SoA what the deal was months ago and just NOW have addressed it due to optics....that would make me angry at DCI as well.

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So DCI has put SoA on ‘probation’.  
From a practical standpoint what does this mean?  No (or reduced) appearance payments?  Going on first at every contest?   Mandatory disclosure to potential host schools that they are on probation for not properly addressing sexual assault of a member?  What happens if within the probation period another incident happens?

I’m not trying to be a smart-*ss.  I really just want to know the answer. 

100% valid questions

1 hour ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

DCI has responded.  
https://dci.org/news/dci-statement-january-9-2022

NOTHING from Spirit.  

So this young person IS telling the truth or DCI wouldn't have put out a statement like this.  But PROBATION!!??  Up until tonight I used to think the NCAA was the most corrupt organization dealing with young people, but DCI is like; "Hold My Beer!"

But folks this is nothing new.  DCI has had a dirty underbelly since 1972.  Social media is only bringing it to light.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

SOA has said it will not affect their 2022 tour

Well, if this turns out to be the case it is yet another slap to the face for all the Corps members (DCI-wide) that have been abused, mentally or physically (including sexually), whether due to Corps management/staff active participation, negligence, or some combination of the two over the last 50 years. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
clarity
  • Like 1