Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

39 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks coming from a guy who doesn’t know the difference between educator and teacher. 😆

Seriously I’ve had prevention of sexual harassment and sexual assault training every year for decades. I know what the procedures are for problems in federal service but for a touring corps in different legal jurisdictions 🤷🏻. Also remembering that schools probably concentrate on child abuse and no idea on non-minors. So no idea how much of local school training applies

in most abuse prevention programs, spotting physical abuse and sexual abuse gets a great deal of attention, but the most common issue reported in most states is neglect. Often it is investigating neglect that other issues are discovered. This may not apply all that much to drum corps but in the training programs offered by the major companies that provide abuse training, the importance of reporting and supervision are drilled into a person’s head. You are correct about differing laws in different states, but a quick Google search or call to law enforcement can answer any questions. 

The reason I mentioned supervision is because in the original complaint there was mention of minors involved and I believe the young woman may have been a minor. The link to the FB post is gone, so if I am wrong, what I am saying does not apply. If minors were participating in “Rookie Talent Night” at a minimum an adult should have been checking in, and “student leaders” should not be considered adult supervisors even if they are legally adults. In some schools there is an unofficial policy that high school teachers who are under 25 only teach 9th and 10th graders whenever possible. My thought at least is that professionally trained teachers would understand the importance of supervision not just because they are mandated reporters, but because of the well being of the young people. Teachers are not the only ones with this training. Nurses and athletic trainers approved for high school programs would have this training as well. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks coming from a guy who doesn’t know the difference between educator and teacher. 😆

Seriously I’ve had prevention of sexual harassment and sexual assault training every year for decades. I know what the procedures are for problems in federal service but for a touring corps in different legal jurisdictions 🤷🏻. Also remembering that schools probably concentrate on child abuse and no idea on non-minors. So no idea how much of local school training applies

Don't feel bad lol. I write this type of curriculum for living and teach it at the senior management levels and couldn't tell you the first thing about how it works within a touring group of mixed minor and non-minor particpants and staff. I can tell you that we make clear distinctions between trainers, teachers and facilitators in my world, so the statement made by Tim very much hit home. 

If I put a trainer or facilitator in front of an audience, I have to be able to guarantee my clients that they have been trained in everything from classroom management to all forms of harassment prevention. I would be happy to share my full 90 hour curriculum with DCI. But i would give them taking it the same odds as Jeff has of making the DCI HOF. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Don't feel bad lol. I write this type of curriculum for living and teach it at the senior management levels and couldn't tell you the first thing about how it works within a touring group of mixed minor and non-minor particpants and staff. I can tell you that we make clear distinctions between trainers, teachers and facilitators in my world, so the statement made by Tim very much hit home. 

If I put a trainer or facilitator in front of an audience, I have to be able to guarantee my clients that they have been trained in everything from classroom management to all forms of harassment prevention. I would be happy to share my full 90 hour curriculum with DCI. But i would give them taking it the same odds as Jeff has of making the DCI HOF. 

I think Jeff has better odds. 😉 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

The corps knew about the sexual assault, staff knew as well. This veteran member assaulting her was known for being creepy in previous years. We figured staff would handle it. In regards to RTN, it was mob mentality and those who supported her had to stay quiet or we'd get harassed or threatened as well. 

We failed her as her corps members. The brass leadership team and veterans just kept threatening those who wanted to support her

3 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

We failed her as her corps members. The brass leadership team and veterans just kept threatening those who wanted to support her

Sorry, I haven't read through everything. When you say brass leadership team do you mean student leaders or staff? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

1 minute ago, Barneveld said:

Sorry, I haven't read through everything. When you say brass leadership team do you mean student leaders or staff? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

No worries, student leadership. It was a lot of mob mentality and a lot of people acted out of fear, but those harassing her to this day genuinely still believe there was nothing wrong with what happened

2 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

Then the opportunity for growth is yours to own and to pass on to the generations you teach. But the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of leadership. As leaders, we cannot and should not depend upon the membership body to do the things that we aren't doing ourselves. 

Remember what should have been done and pass on your experiences. We all, at some point, have guilt over inaction. Leadership comes as much from failures to act and respond as it does from being Johnny on the spot. 

• Like 3