Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

11 hours ago, BrassTeacher said:

I can't tell if you're baiting me or not, so here's the answer:

Depends upon the school, but these things were stressed in multiple classes, even BITD:

1. DFTK
2a. Avoid being in a room alone with any student
2b. Always have a witness when talking to a student alone
3. Do not socialize with students away from school, unless it is a planned, chaperoned, school activity 
4. Do not add students on social media
5. Do not call, text, or email students (unless it is your school account). If you must call a student, make sure the parent(s) is/are aware (They really want their All-State results ASAP)

That is the gist of personal student-to-teacher interaction 
Do you REALLY want me to go through EVERY detail and policy regarding how field trips, football games, concert performances, etc. are expected to be handled? I don't feel like typing 10 pages of details unless necessary

I was a volunteer instructor for 14 years and swore by these rules.  The sad thing is, I was never taught them, they were just common sense. How sad it is that we don't hold every staff member to these simple "Common Sense" rules.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ironlips said:

There is no "enforcement" or "judiciary" function here. If any individual or organization is to be censured, disqualified or punished in any way that will have to come from a collective decision by the board, the 12 members.

If there is any blame to be assigned here it must be directed towards the actual perpetrators and those to whom the accusations were first reported. It was the latter's duty to report to authorities.

You want us to hold DCI entirely blameless?

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'm sure they did. But here would be the real questions:

1. Who is tracking compliance?

2. At what levels within a corps is the training mandatory? ("Staff" is a rather nebulous and broad term after all and could only include paid positions)

3. What penalties are in place for NOT complying with mandatory training?

What realistically should happen IMHO is that EVERYONE involved with a corps (including MM's and volunteers,) should have to sit through training on mandatory reporting, whistle blower and harassment prevention. To say (as we heard in the recording) "It's in the handbook and you signed it even if you didn't read it" is BULLS$!#. 

A snare with no gut is just a flub....and who really takes flubs seriously? The mandates have to have accountability and penalties otherwise they are merely "suggestions." People don't fear speed limit signs. They fear the ticket they'll have to pay for not following their guidance. 

No arguments out of me. I’m really saddened because I thought finally dci was going to handle this issue like it should have been all along. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I was a volunteer instructor for 14 years and swore by these rules.  The funny thing is, I was never taught them, they were just common sense. how sad it is that we don't hold every staff member to these simple "Common Sense" rules.

In this day and age, you have to have mandatory training with tracking for compliance and a structure in place to hold accountable those who don't comply. It's a shame, but it's true. We mandate about 90 hours of training for staff which includes harassment prevention and has to be renewed yearly. Hourly employees have to go through about 8 hours of training yearly. 

The key that we discovered many moons ago is that we doggedly track compliance and the penalty for non-compliance is termination. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Why? Because I question you I’m the bad guy? Live by the sword……. U know the rest.

You have been following me around the forums trying to call me out because I didn’t blindly defend Phantom. It’s clear to see.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

I wouldn't expect music educators to be experts in student conduct.  It's a complex and challenging field of work that people devote entire careers to mastering.  Music educators shouldn't have to possess that level of expertise.  Let the music educators do music education and let the people who are expert in handling sexual assaults, harassment and misconduct take care of those cases.  

Any classroom teacher has to know it, and as time goes on every side, tech, janitor you name it has to know it

24 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I was a volunteer instructor for 14 years and swore by these rules.  The sad thing is, I was never taught them, they were just common sense. How sad it is that we don't hold every staff member to these simple "Common Sense" rules.

What I saw listed was only for personal prevention which was part of my training. We also were trained in how and who to report to if you saw or suspected something wrong (or if you were a victim). And if you were a victim what to do to help the investigators (keep log, have witnesses, etc). More to this whole mess than how one acts personally.

Saddest part of that training was steps to take if the person you were supposed to report to was the person doing the harassing or you didn’t trust them.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 hours ago, ContraBugle said:

The corps knew about the sexual assault, staff knew as well. This veteran member assaulting her was known for being creepy in previous years. 

This more than anything else should be cause for shutdown until house is cleaned out. And NONE of these people should be allowed near a corps EVER.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You want us to hold DCI entirely blameless?

Sure they do.  There’s no lack of sycophants carrying water for Dan and the old boys club.  Remember when the ED said “that’s old news” when someone wrote a letter about a continuous pattern of sexual abuse in a certain drum corps?   Tricia couldn’t write about it because no one had the guts to come forward and put their name on it.  A troubling pattern in this activity. 

• Thanks 3