Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

3 hours ago, Cainan said:

With all due respect.. you are wrong. Have look at the DCI rulebook. Policy 321 allows for Dan to take unilateral action on his own. If Spirit does not clean up their act, he can in fact punish them severely. Pioneer was placed on probation and one of the stipulations of that probation was Roman Blenski having no decision making authority and for him to step down from the board. He refused, and Dan enacted policy 321 and for all intents and purposes gave Pioneer the death penalty. Unless I am wrong, in theory, Pioneer COULD in fact petition for reinstated DCI membership if they enacted the requirements of the probation set down by DCI. They just didn't.

Only because Pioneer is low-hanging fruit.  Not that I’m defending the action.  There should be more of this happening.  No way should Spirit hit the field in 2022 after this. NFW. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

DCI has had at least 30+ years to address situations like this and put strict policy in place. I chose to go back that far because 1995ish is when the inappropriate staff/member situation came to light at the CapitolAires. Three decades, if not more, of sweeping **** under the rug. This organization is rotting from the head down. 

That was Morgan Larson.  Tricia covered that story in her article in the Philadelphia Inquirer “A Failure to Protect”. He went to prison and is a lifetime registered sex offender. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Only because Pioneer is low-hanging fruit.  Not that I’m defending the action.  There should be more of this happening.  No way should Spirit hit the field in 2022 after this. NFW. 

Pioneer was low hanging fruit because of one stubborn individual.. The Man In The Hat. Had he complied with the directives of DCI, Pioneer would still be competing today.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

If DCI staff and board members knew of this for some time – enough time for investigations and the 2-year probation arrangement – what's the deal with BD bringing on board a staff member involved in this?

That may be unfair. I don't know the details and timeline. Don't know how wide spread the knowledge of the staff member's involvement was. Perhaps he was given a post by someone at BD who truly was not knowledgable about the allegations and broader situation.

This kind of speculation (by me) is part of what makes much social media bad stuff. I just can't help myself from typing and submitting.

Plus, please BD: Don't be complicit in this mess.

You may have misunderstood. From what I gathered the ringleader of the rookie talent night was a guard member at Spirit and is now a contracted guard member at BD, not staff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, craiga said:

I just have a few random thoughts after reading this entire thread last night. I was under the impression that all corps are now required to have designated sexual harassment reporting personnel, written protocols, and anti harassment/bullying training either at a winter camp or very early in spring training.  I thought these standards were universal and adopted the year after the GH fiasco. 

Meaningless documents claiming to have policies in place, so as to attract more people in an effort to make them feel safe while handing over Dads credit card to purchase a t-shirt and audition. Kind of like removing your shoes to ride a plane - a necessary necessity to make you feel safe. But are you!

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Brian Tuma said:

You may have misunderstood. From what I gathered the ringleader of the rookie talent night was a guard member at Spirit and is now a contracted guard member at BD, not staff. 

If that’s it, then yes, I didn’t understand correctly. Thanks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Pioneer was low hanging fruit because of one stubborn individual.. The Man In The Hat. Had he complied with the directives of DCI, Pioneer would still be competing today.

I believe still performing would be the better choice of words!

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Cainan said:

True but the thing is they all were tired of them so they made them the example. For a “name” to get the same treatment it would have to be even worse than this and even then I have little faith dci has the balls to do it 

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Meaningless documents claiming to have policies in place, so as to attract more people in an effort to make them feel safe while handing over Dads credit card to purchase a t-shirt and audition. Kind of like removing your shoes to ride a plane - a necessary necessity to make you feel safe. But are you!

Agreed in most respects. Having a policy that you don't govern is the tail wagging the dog. DCI would have to implement a disciplinary body which would be able and willing to take sweeping actions and the corps would have to allow that kind of control to be taken out of their hands. That won't happen as long as any corps has the attitude of "We can handle things ourselves and we don't have an issue here." The forward thinking attitude of doing it in case an issue WERE yo occur is something that corps leadership overall hasn't happened. Maybe one day it will, but I ain't gonna hold me breath.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Agreed in most respects. Having a policy that you don't govern is the tail wagging the dog. DCI would have to implement a disciplinary body which would be able and willing to take sweeping actions and the corps would have to allow that kind of control to be taken out of their hands. That won't happen as long as any corps has the attitude of "We can handle things ourselves and we don't have an issue here." The forward thinking attitude of doing it in case an issue WERE yo occur is something that corps leadership overall hasn't happened. Maybe one day it will, but I ain't gonna hold me breath.

At their current rate one day they’ll be taken over by Varsity 

• Sad 1