Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

You have been following me around the forums trying to call me out because I didn’t blindly defend Phantom. It’s clear to see.  

Mr. Ream, don’t flatter yourself. I have better things to do with my time than follow you around.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

That was Morgan Larson.  Tricia covered that story in her article in the Philadelphia Inquirer “A Failure to Protect”. He went to prison and is a lifetime registered sex offender. 

I marched in the early 1980s & there were rumors about other individuals, some who are/were well known in the activity having inappropriate relationships with members.  But I have no first-hand knowledge.   If I did I would report it 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Mr. Ream, don’t flatter yourself. I have better things to do with my time than follow you around.

As demonstrated by your having a back and forth with him on a Monday morning :ph34r:

• Haha 2

1st - let's stop attacking each other, this is a situation that could end the activity and we should all be focused on how make sure the kids are being cared for.

2nd - this has been happening for decades, i know I saw it in the 90's and if we had transparency like  they do now, there would be hundreds of reports. This is nothing new, however that does not excuse the horrible things happening in the activity right now. 

Until compliance officers are required, this will keep happening. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I marched in the early 1980s & there were rumors about other individuals, some who are/were well known in the activity having inappropriate relationships with members.  But I have no first-hand knowledge.   If I did I would report it 

I marched in the mid90's, I know some shady things were happening in front of my eyes. Most of it happened in the open.  We didn't have the reporting platforms they have now. 

• Like 1

Probation without requiring the release of the corps director and / or tour director who should have taken action is unacceptable. I appreciate that DCI wanted to verify all of the info before they took it to the membership, but the 5 month time lag also wasn't acceptable. It could have been addressed in September, before any kid auditioned for the 2022 corps.

Primarily curious to find out what their Board knew and when. Most of the major corps have whistleblower lines now that go to a Board member in addition to the Exec Director so that at least one person with fiduciary responsibility is in on the report. If SOA didn't have that mechanism in place, it's something that needs to be fixed today. Like literally, today.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I do have second hand knowledge of one. Jim’s Dad sent him home because he was hitting on the members. DCI hall of famer. That was in the early 80’s when Pride of Cincinnati was still a drum corps.  The guy is dead now so bringing up the name serves no purpose because the dead won’t hurt you.  It’s clearly the living you need to worry about. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Probation without requiring the release of the corps director and / or tour director who should have taken action is unacceptable. I appreciate that DCI wanted to verify all of the info before they took it to the membership, but the 5 month time lag also wasn't acceptable. It could have been addressed in September, before any kid auditioned for the 2022 corps.

Primarily curious to find out what their Board knew and when. Most of the major corps have whistleblower lines now that go to a Board member in addition to the Exec Director so that at least one person with fiduciary responsibility is in on the report. If SOA didn't have that mechanism in place, it's something that needs to be fixed today. Like literally, today.

Agreed and even IF the corps and DCI didn't come to an understanding on what action was to be taken until literally yesterday 3 hours after the OP posted her concerns (and let's face it...that is NOT what happened,) the release that SOMETHING was going on was a good 5 months late. 

In my 50 trips around the sun, I haven't noticed many cosmic coincidences of the magnitude that would align so perfectly that they had the appearance of pure scrambling to improve optics.