Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

45 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

1st - let's stop attacking each other, this is a situation that could end the activity and we should all be focused on how make sure the kids are being cared for.

2nd - this has been happening for decades, i know I saw it in the 90's and if we had transparency like  they do now, there would be hundreds of reports. This is nothing new, however that does not excuse the horrible things happening in the activity right now. 

Until compliance officers are required, this will keep happening. 

Compliance officers will need to have authority to kick out offending member, fire offending staff, & if need be shut down the Corps mid-tour.  Anything less will be lip service. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I do have second hand knowledge of one. Jim’s Dad sent him home because he was hitting on the members. DCI hall of famer. That was in the early 80’s when Pride of Cincinnati was still a drum corps.  The guy is dead now so bringing up the name serves no purpose because the dead won’t hurt you.  It’s clearly the living you need to worry about. 

Yup

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Compliance officers will need to have authority to kick out offending member, fire offending staff, & if need be shut down the Corps mid-tour.  Anything less will be lip service. 

Completely agree...they need to be beyond reproach, independent, open to everyone (Staff, members, volunteers)...with sweeping powers to call out violations and take action immediately and file a report to the proper person(s) and make it public. 

These are the terms DCI requires of SoA.  Aren't these just a rehash of policy put in place after the Hopocalypse?  Shouldn't Corps be doing this anyway?

The terms of the probation require, among other things, that Spirit of Atlanta:

• Demonstrate that it can comply with the DCI Code of Conduct in all areas of its operation.
  • Engage an independent third-party consultant to review Spirit of Atlanta’s organizational and training processes, clarify its accountability structure, and create and implement policies and procedures that ensure Spirit of Atlanta’s code of conduct and other policies align with or exceed the requirements of the DCI Code of Conduct.
  • Create a senior leadership position whose principal focus is to ensure that staff, volunteers and performers are provided with a positive working environment and have appropriate training and resources to ensure the health and welfare of all involved.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

Completely agree...they need to be beyond reproach, independent, open to everyone (Staff, members, volunteers)...with sweeping powers to call out violations and take action immediately and file a report to the proper person(s) and make it public. 

Where do I apply?  I am retired military O-5; I could do this.  I used to deal with behavior BS daily.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
further pontification

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

You may have misunderstood. From what I gathered the ringleader of the rookie talent night was a guard member at Spirit and is now a contracted guard member at BD, not staff. 

The person at BD who led Rookie Talent night is a trumpet player. Marched spirit in 19 as well 

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

These are the terms DCI requires of SoA.  Aren't these just a rehash of policy put in place after the Hopocalypse?  Shouldn't Corps be doing this anyway?

• Demonstrate that it can comply with the DCI Code of Conduct in all areas of its operation.
  • Engage an independent third-party consultant to review Spirit of Atlanta’s organizational and training processes, clarify its accountability structure, and create and implement policies and procedures that ensure Spirit of Atlanta’s code of conduct and other policies align with or exceed the requirements of the DCI Code of Conduct.
  • Create a senior leadership position whose principal focus is to ensure that staff, volunteers and performers are provided with a positive working environment and have appropriate training and resources to ensure the health and welfare of all involved.

You'd be surprised the bare minimum Spirit can't do. The staff especially. 19 medical staff all walked out. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brian Tuma said:

No, I was referring to the ringleader of the talent night. The trumpet player was the the perpetrator of the assault. There’s two separate incidences in the complaint and I think people here are losing sight of that. 

The veteran member that assaulted her was a baritone. The person who led rookie talent night was a trumpet. He was the Georgia soloist. Staff didn't penalize him because he was a soloist. 

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Seems like the punishment boils down to "this time we really mean it. Or else."

Hopefully SoA Board of Directors leadership is willing to make tangible changes beyond DCI's non-punishment.

• Like 1