Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Did some digging. Seems a lack of action for months prompted this to get to this stage. It’s going all over social media. 

Reached out to some old friends. I'll see what they have to say if they know anything. SOA will go into damage control but I hope that they at the very least acknowledge the fact that this is out there. I am physically angry right now and shocked, but I know I shouldn't be. It can happen at ANY corps and at ANY time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

What in this situation suggests that we should permanently shut down an institution, instead of identifying and disciplining the people who committed bad acts?  Asking for a friend.

Keep the corps but also get rid of anyone who IGNORED the bad acts. And none of them should interact with a corps (physically or otherwise) PERMANENTLY

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Keep the corps but also get rid of anyone who IGNORED the bad acts. And none of them should interact with a corps (physically or otherwise) PERMANENTLY

I’m afraid I have to disagree with you.  

Many other Corps have fired staff, written policies etc.  Yet this type of abuse continues.  
It is time for bold action.   The staff firings & policing apparently do not work.

SoA needs to be shut down.  As well as permanent staff ban.  If after a few years off if, under completely new management, perhaps they could be allowed too reapply.  As open class, just like every other new Corps. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

What in this situation suggests that we should permanently shut down an institution, instead of identifying and disciplining the people who committed bad acts?  Asking for a friend.

The rules dci used to force Pioneer into its current status?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

We need to nominate her for DCI Hall of Fame.  

I have a better chance of getting in and those odds are negative 10000000000000000000000000%

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’m afraid I have to disagree with you.  

Many other Corps have fired staff, written policies etc.  Yet this type of abuse continues.  
It is time for bold action.   The staff firings & policing apparently do not work.

SoA needs to be shut down.  As well as permanent staff ban.  If after a few years off if, under completely new management, perhaps they could be allowed too reapply.  As open class, just like every other new Corps. 

To be clearer I’m talking more than staff firings. If anyone on corps management (including BoD) knew or even suspected but hid things or did nothing… permanent ban.

And after reading your post… corps banned from any DCI activities until house is cleaned, new management in place and all procedures followed through. IOW Pioneer….

DCI needs to redo their procedures and thought process as this “let the corps worry about it” is going to kill the activity 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The rules dci used to force Pioneer into its current status?

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

To be clearer I’m talking more than staff firings. If anyone on corps management (including BoD) knew or even suspected but hid things or did nothing… permanent ban.

And after reading your post… corps banned from any DCI activities until house is cleaned, new management in place and all procedures followed through. IOW Pioneer….

IMHO DCI used the abuse allegations as a convenient excuse to get rid of a Corps that didn’t fit the brand. 
Cadets situation was a whole lot worse, and even after reorganization & new BoD there were ‘member on member’ accusations in Indy that are similar to those described above.  And nothing happened. What kind of message did  that send?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

22 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IMHO DCI used the abuse allegations as a convenient excuse to get rid of a Corps that didn’t fit the brand. 
Cadets situation was a whole lot worse, and even after reorganization & new BoD there were ‘member on member’ accusations in Indy that are similar to those described above.  And nothing happened. What kind of message did  that send?

I can’t use that type of language here to describe my feelings over Cadets… and others…  getting away with this. Every incident reported and ignored is convincing me DCI will be the final nail in the activities coffin. And if that what it takes to keep people from becoming victims I will not shed a tear.

And oh yeah “DCI is the corps”… talk about clueless leading the clueless

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2