Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not going to speak for Kathy but in my case it’s not confusion but lack of knowledge. So I asked and only got a bunch of heat and list of items of what teachers should not do with students. What was missing was looking for and reporting abuse which your post mentioned. Of course this is a big part of dealing with abuse.

Folks some of us are NOT educators so we need to ask in order to find out. At least we are taking the effort to find out. Is it too much to ask not to be insulted when we ask to be EDUCATED?

I know you come from an IT background so I will bounce this idea off you - perhaps DCI/individual Corps could construct some kind of flow-chart to to guide the reporting process?

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm not an educator, so i don't know all the ins and outs, plus every state has their own state specific rules, but teachers today are educated on this topic as well as so many others when it comes to issue that could affect kids in their care.

Just to judge, in which i rarely interact with students, i have to do all of the PA state background checks and some trainings.

Jim has to take a sexual harassment prevention course every year and he works from home.   

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Lance said:

Kathy is just confused.  The goal should be to train teachers/educators of any kind about issues of abuse, which is what we're talking about here.  

Mandatory reporting with proper training is something that's absolutely VITAL to adults who work with kids for a living.  If a good system is in place, teachers are one of the first steps in facilitating experts who will take over after the reporting phase.  Make it a crime to not report abuse in DCI, which is how it is in a lot of school districts across the country.  Or just expect more of these stories to get swept under a planet-sized rug. 

Theoretically, mandatory reporting is already put in place with Policy 122.

14 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

I wouldn't expect music educators to be experts in student conduct.  It's a complex and challenging field of work that people devote entire careers to mastering.  Music educators shouldn't have to possess that level of expertise.  Let the music educators do music education and let the people who are expert in handling sexual assaults, harassment and misconduct take care of those cases.  

Music educators is a broad category. States differ, but in Massachusetts if a music educator offered private lessons they would be considered mandated reporters just as classroom music teachers in any school setting whether it be public, charter,  or private are mandated reporters. 

I have often shared my experiences with mandated reporting. I am not a music educator and when I taught, I taught mostly middle school students and my subject areas were language arts and social studies. I can tell you if a student was a victim of abuse whether it be physical, emotional, or sexual, or suffered from neglect, I wouldn’t be able to teach that child in that day, and it wouldn’t  be any different if I was teaching about the Civil War or if I was a music teacher teaching the violin. Spotting abuse allows you to do your job. Spotting abuse and reporting does not take a great deal of expertise either. If you suspect something or learn of something you report it. The issue for many is that it’s not easy and people do not want to get involved. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JoeJoe_Trumpet said:

Theoretically, mandatory reporting is already put in place with Policy 122.

Here's a bit from that Policy....and it shows that it doesn't even approach what happens with the kind of reporting/action I'm talking about. 

...if the DCI Compliance Officer determines, in their sole and absolute discretion, that a report warrants further investigation, the Compliance Officer will conduct an investigation or appoint a disinterested party - depending on the nature of the possible allegation and those involved - to conduct an investigation. If it is determined that a violation occurred, a written finding will be presented to the appropriate individual, in consultation with the CEO, for appropriate corrective or disciplinary action. The decision of a supervisor, manager, volunteer coordinator, or board chair is final and not appealable.

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  This is feckless, toothless, and perfunctory.  It's not a mandatory reporting policy in league with anything I'm talking about, just some vaporous whistleblower policy.  A random, unnamed "Compliance Officer" within the org shouldn't be in charge of deciding what deserves to get acted upon.  I'm talking about a system where it's all automatic.  Educator reports suspected abuse without any type of retaliation possible, and then officials in whatever field of abuse we're talking about come in with the force of law to take next steps and/or refer up the chain of command/jurisdiction.  

It precludes choice/judgment calls on the part of the reporter to report, and then experts take over. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Lance said:

Here's a bit from that Policy....and it shows that it doesn't even approach what happens with the kind of reporting/action I'm talking about. 

...if the DCI Compliance Officer determines, in their sole and absolute discretion, that a report warrants further investigation, the Compliance Officer will conduct an investigation or appoint a disinterested party - depending on the nature of the possible allegation and those involved - to conduct an investigation. If it is determined that a violation occurred, a written finding will be presented to the appropriate individual, in consultation with the CEO, for appropriate corrective or disciplinary action. The decision of a supervisor, manager, volunteer coordinator, or board chair is final and not appealable.

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  This is feckless, toothless, and perfunctory.  It's not a mandatory reporting policy in league with anything I'm talking about, just some vaporous whistleblower policy.  A random, unnamed "Compliance Officer" within the org shouldn't be in charge of deciding what deserves to get acted upon.  I'm talking about a system where it's all automatic.  Educator reports suspected abuse without any type of retaliation possible, and then officials in whatever field of abuse we're talking about come in with the force of law to take next steps and/or refer up the chain of command/jurisdiction.  

It precludes choice/judgment calls on the part of the reporter to report, and then experts take over. 

DCI compliance officer…

Operative word DCI… not outside…