Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IMHO DCI used the abuse allegations as a convenient excuse to get rid of a Corps that didn’t fit the brand. 
Cadets situation was a whole lot worse, and even after reorganization & new BoD there were ‘member on member’ accusations in Indy that are similar to those described above.  And nothing happened. What kind of message did  that send?

Because police did investigate the cadets issue and if I recall there were holes in the story that caused no charges to be filed

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is Drum Corps. Just because it is hard doesn’t mean you don’t try. 

If I never make the dci hall of fame I’ll sleep well. 

• Like 1

For what its worth, I participated in spirit's rookie talent night over a decade ago and can't remember anything questionable happening. There was no putting blankets over the cameras and especially no oral sex being performed. I'm not saying that this couldn't have happened last year, only that was far from my experience when I marched with soa. We had very strict vets and the drum major in particular was not afraid to kick your ### and get in your face if you acted out of line. 

Edited by Smug Trumpet Guy
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

For what its worth, I participated in spirit's rookie talent night over a decade ago and can't remember anything questionable happening. There was no putting blankets over the cameras and especially no oral sex being performed. I'm not saying that this couldn't have happened last year, only that was far from my experience when I marched with soa. We had very strict vets and the drum major in particular was not afraid to kick your ### and get in your face if you acted out of line. 

This is what you call competent leadership. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Yeah surprised me about what happened at rookie talent night. I certainly never experienced anything like what is being described and that's going back well over 30 years. I am certainly NOT saying that it didn't happen. It pisses me off to no end that it in fact even COULD have even happened. I'm not naïve by any means, but this makes me angry.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

We had very strict vets and the drum major in particular was not afraid to kick your ### and get in your face if you acted out of line. 

That's how drum corps worked 50 years ago too.  We policed ourselves.  

• Like 2

Just now, greg_orangecounty said:

That's how drum corps worked 50 years ago too.  We policed ourselves.  

And 30 years ago as well. How that changed, I simply don't understand. In this day of MORE and quicker ways to share information quickly and to a larger audience, you would think that things would not happen this way. Instead it seems like people have become MORE emboldened. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It pisses me off to no end that it in fact even COULD have even happened. 

This is what I'm having a hard time trying to understand as well. I believe a staff member is present on every bus, so I'm really not sure how they allowed oral sex to go down at the rookie talent night. And I've spent a great deal of this morning trying to call upon ANY memories of that night and nothing comes to mind. I don't even remember what my talent was, it's just so bizarre that this could have crept into the culture at SoA in the last decade. I know a couple years back there was an issue with the board and a woman that was overstepping her bounds but they voted her off. None of this makes sense to me. You see these stories with phantom and the cadets and you think this would have never happened where you marched, until a story like this comes out and completely shatters your entire feelings on drum corps. 

• Like 1