Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

true but you have to do it for all staff and volunteers...unless you make the individuals pay for it, it adds up.

remember these are not multimillion corporations here. These are drum corps that live off of whatever shows they can hold and alumni begathons. And as we have seen when it comes to fiscal reality, well.....this is DCI

Understood. But this is a once a year deal. Changing a splash screen to an individual corps logo on the first page of an elearn takes literally 15 minutes. 

The hitch in the giddyup is that it would have to be ONE training that the corps agree on. Additional specifics could be something a corps does separately in their own docs. 

The cost isn't minimal but it also isn't astronomical. Divide the cost between all member corps and that's it. They would save time writing their own branded materials.

well being married to an elementary teacher, i see the trainings she goes through. staggering

The amount of training that we go through as a band director & elementary teacher is approaching the absurd, but a necessity in our society today .  My wife has actually been subpoenaed a couple of times to testify on the behalf of her students.  (Some of the things she witnesses at that level is depressing.)  We are required by our state law to report any & all issues to our principal, DHR, and law enforcement if necessary.   If we fail to do so, we as educators can be charged for "dereliction of duty".         

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

true but you have to do it for all staff and volunteers...unless you make the individuals pay for it, it adds up.

remember these are not multimillion corporations here. These are drum corps that live off of whatever shows they can hold and alumni begathons. And as we have seen when it comes to fiscal reality, well.....this is DCI

The training that WGI offered was $17 per person.  Spirit has ~80 on staff (I counted by hand, on multiple pages).  That would have been an investment of under $1,500 for the year.  Isn't it kind of worth it to not have to deal with what they're dealing with now?  Isn't it more disruptive and costly for the members to change travel plans the weekend before a camp because schools might not want them on-premise?

It's a fraction of one member's yearly dues to ensure the safety of all and longevity of the corps.  They seem to be able to buy speakers.  Seem to be able to buy props.  $1,500.  WGI must have ~300 competitive units.  Also, many local circuits made the same requirement.  Winterguards aren't exactly rolling in the dough, either. As a percentage of operating budget, the cost was higher for guards, winds groups, and drumlines.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well being married to an elementary teacher, i see the trainings she goes through. staggering

Yep.

Brenda is a student aide in her district... and there is extra training for all the aides.

Heck... I  have a part-time gig, with a private company, driving special-needs people to and from their workplaces... and our code of conduct rulebook is pages long.  

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

The training that WGI offered was $17 per person.  Spirit has ~80 on staff (I counted by hand, on multiple pages).  That would have been an investment of under $1,500 for the year.  Isn't it kind of worth it to not have to deal with what they're dealing with now?  Isn't it more disruptive and costly for the members to change travel plans the weekend before a camp because schools might not want them on-premise?

It's a fraction of one member's yearly dues to ensure the safety of all and longevity of the corps.  They seem to be able to buy speakers.  Seem to be able to buy props.  $1,500.  WGI must have ~300 competitive units.  Also, many local circuits made the same requirement.  Winterguards aren't exactly rolling in the dough, either. As a percentage of operating budget, the cost was higher for guards, winds groups, and drumlines.  

All true, but staff & membership needs to actually do as they were trained for the system to work.

SoA had a handbook ('that all of them signed') but still didn't do the right thing.

This is why, at a bare minimum, the staff that didn't act on the member's complaints need to go.  And never come back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

All true, but staff & membership needs to actually do as they were trained for the system to work.

This all day.

At a certain point, an adult (or a young adult, which is what all the members are) need to instinctively know that certain behavior is requiring of action to protect themselves and others. All the training in the world wouldn't have made a corps director or tour director who was notified of repeated unwanted touches to do something if their instinct was to ignore it, which is what happened. Training shouldn't be necessary for members who see sexual acts being performed on their busses as part of a "talent show" to know that the acts were unacceptable and to step in to stop the proceedings.

Being an essentially decent human doesn't really require training, does it?

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

from https://spiritofatlanta.org/calendar/

Call Back Camp - ALL Brass and Percussion

WhenJan 14 – 17, 2022
WhereTBA (map)

more details»  copy to my calendar»

FYI: A parent has asked in the friends/family (public) group about receiving a refund ($200) for the camp scheduled for this weekend.  Another parent expressed their disbelief that they would still hold the January camp.  Both parents stated that they had both just received the SOA 'packing list" info email for the camp.  This entire event & what's about to follow is really sad.  😢 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, Daave said:

Minus Genesis and Music City? 

As I recall, both were scheduled to be voted on for full membership and voting "privileges"; and then the year off happened followed by last year?  I never heard or saw any such announcements if that had ever been addressed; too include last weeks meetings?

Oh I figured they got in, but who knows?

49 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

The hitch in the giddyup

I like this.

7 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Being an essentially decent human doesn't really require training, does it?

There is a whole section of Philosophy dedicated to to this subject. Seriously.  And the philosophers have a 2,500 year head start on us delving into this subject.

On the other hand, a Drum Corps show titled 'Being an essentially decent human doesn't really require training, does it?' could be either wonderful or horrific depending on the approach.