Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

I just read SOA's most recent "statement".  Whereas there was nothing bad in the statement, I felt therewere glaring ommissions.  Here is what I feel is needed....and now.....

1.  Every adult who was named as not responding, or the response was inadequate, will be questioned thoroughly and         face termination.  

2. Every member involved in inappropriate activity involving "rookie talent night"....organizers, participants,etc.  will be           questioned thoroughly and will be subject to removal, banishment from SOA, and banned from participation in any            DCI corps.

3. Every member who threatened the victim, intimidated the victim, or showed any poor behavior toward the victim will       be removed from SOA, banished from SOA, and banned from participation in any DCI corps.

Due process is also important.....for example,  maybe not every act on "rookie talent night" stepped over the line......also,maybe a rookie was quite reluctant to "perform" but did so under pressure from those "in power".....maybe there were some in the "reporting chain" who did what they are supposed to do, but others didn't, thus it broke.....

I have to say this, too.......I do not necessarily believe that adding a bunch of people/positions/etc is the answer.  It is kind of like government.......too many cogs in the wheel can actually bog things down.......I am a retired school teacher.....I have seen 50 page packets handed out, yet still children become victims when they need help and do not promptly get it.......

The director or corps manager needs to be the one trained, the one to go to, and the one REQUIRED to respond IMMEDIATELY to the situation.  If the member feels uncomfortable speaking to the director (and also if per chance the director would be part of the probem), all members should have the phone number of a person on the board assigned to possibly field calls/concerns.  Finally, if the member does not feel comfortable with either of those two avenues, or there is a lack of a response, then DCI should have a hotline for PROMPT action.  Yes, their should be a talk in the Spring about expected member conduct with the members, also with it in writing, and a question and answer period.  That makes things pretty cut and dry......if you decide to break the rules, there will be consequences, including the possibility of immediate removal from the corps, and you will not be immune from the law as well.

In regards to minors in the corps, I have to say that I am against making WC corps only for 18-22 year olds.  I taught a WC finalist corps where a 12 year old made the snare line.  We had talented and mature 15 and 16 year olds make the corps.  Believe it or not, older members actually looked out for these younger members, and were kind of like "big brothers and big sisters" to them.  It will never be 100% perfect....just like it is not perfect in schools.  But expected behavior and consequences goes a long way here.  Should a young person who is talented have to wait?  IMO....no.  Should the parent of those children be able to enroll their child in the corps and expect them to be safe?  Yes.  Even in HS bands, you might have  18 year old seniors and 14 year old freshmen in the band, going on an extended spring band trip, going to contests every weekend, pro football games, etc......directors are fully aware, and make sure that things are handled.   Even with very high levels of precautions taken, there have been incidents.  However, in contrast to these drum corps incidents, band incidents are usually handled swiftly, efficiently, and those responsible for bad behavior are held fully accountable for their actions.

• Thanks 1

I just spent an evening with a grandchild confiding in me that not only is this allegation true, they are a victim as well. Not only has my grandchild been repeatedly raped after being groomed by a predator that was known to be a predator by leadership, at least two other young women were also victims.  This predator was removed from leadership but allowed to continue to participate in performing.  With the full knowledge and acquiesce of leadership. Those that complained were ridiculed for being overly sensitive and bullied if they didn't go along. The sad part is that these young people and their parents paid for the privilege of being exploited by careless, uneducated, ineffective leadership.  When a girl says," Blank keeps touching me", she is saying I DON'T FEEL SAFE.  And the response is Oh, he's just being friendly. Or Just Chill, he's not hurting you. That, people, is a rapist in your midst that just sexually assaulted a minor. And you told her that she's overreacting.   He has now gotten away with having sex with a minor and will never be charged because the minor was so afraid of saying anything that she refuses to discuss it.  How do I know this? My grandchild said, AND I QUOTE, "I won't say anything because now that I can say No, it's too late. It will just be a He said, She said situation because no one listened then. And nobody wants everyone pointing at them going,  Look, they said Blank raped them, do you think it's true?"  You've successfully continued to perpetrate a situation where dedication and the wish to improve musical talent results in exploitation and heartbreak.  And the number of people that wish to ignore the allegations are leaving the doors wide open for continued abuse.  

19 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Spirit should probably stop writing statements. They’re not really helping themselves here.

Mike (Whose job duties include writing statements)

They really are running out of feet to shoot…. 

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

WOW......and he is now Spirit's executive director......how can they not be aware......that's a serious number of complaints/allegations........you have to wonder about both the nature of the complaints (100+....inappropriate behavior).....that's alot of brushing under the rug.........it would explain his sudden exit from a huge and highly successful college band program.....would there be no concern from the parents and administration of the high school that he returned to?  I certainly hope that if there were cases of abuse, that those individuals will still come forward...it's also a bit hard to believe that there's "nothing to it"......

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

This stuff is from last August,  for crying out loud.  No one thought to query him about it?  Good find, Jeff.  Maybe you should be doing background work for DCI.  They seem to be completely inept at the job. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Wonder what the number of complaints is for DCI to suspend a organization from participation at DCI events? What's the Over/Under? IMO, how DA handles these rotten tomatoes in this activity will be how his success as ED will be measured. Collecting a paycheck while protecting his and others livelihoods at any cost is scary, not to mention a complete failure!

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Bob984 said:

WOW......and he is now Spirit's executive director......how can they not be aware......that's a serious number of complaints/allegations........you have to wonder about both the nature of the complaints (100+....inappropriate behavior).....that's alot of brushing under the rug.........it would explain his sudden exit from a huge and highly successful college band program.....would there be no concern from the parents and administration of the high school that he returned to?  I certainly hope that if there were cases of abuse, that those individuals will still come forward...it's also a bit hard to believe that there's "nothing to it"......

If it was one complaint there’s the chance that might be a problem, but 100+ complaint’s is a sure indication that there is a pattern of sick behavior. 

Edited by Poppycock