Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

12 minutes ago, anomaly said:

And before anyone squawks my thank you icon is thanking her for keeping us informed 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And before anyone squawks my thank you icon is thanking her for keeping us informed 

Ditto 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, anomaly said:

I am impressed that you had the courage and resolve to do the right thing.  I fear that a lot of anger will now be coming your way, esp. from members who had planned to march in 2022 - keep in mind that, again, you did the right thing - it was the response from SoA that led to the demise of the 2022 season.

A bigger issue is whether SoA (in particular) or DCI/other Corps (in general) will finally get it through their collective skulls that they need to once and for all cut out the cancer that is member abuse.  I hope the answer is yes, but, based on previous incidents the answer will be no.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agreed Jim. SoA is my family. But right now my family is broken and needs to be fixed starting from the top down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Ditto 

Ditto X's 2

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I am impressed that you had the courage and resolve to do the right thing.  I fear that a lot of anger will now be coming your way, esp. from members who had planned to march in 2022 - keep in mind that, again, you did the right thing - it was the response from SoA that led to the demise of the 2022 season.

A bigger issue is whether SoA (in particular) or DCI/other Corps (in general) will finally get it through their collective skulls that they need to once and for all cut out the cancer that is member abuse.  I hope the answer is yes, but, based on previous incidents the answer will be no.

You are probably right about anger from mm’s. As misplaced as that would be.  The situation having escalated to inactivity for 2022, has been brought on by the 2021 membership, along with adults enabling bad behavior or directly participating in bad behavior.  And I’m not talking being a little “naughty” here.  This was and is serious bad behavior.

anyone being mad at this young lady needs a major moral compass adjustment.  If ANYONE had stepped or spoken up sooner, backing up this young lady, SoA wouldn’t be in this position.  The fact that anyone could be mad at her, confirms to me there is little hope correcting this group.  A total organizational shut down is in order.  Any management personnel, instructors, volunteers, general admin’s., who were in a position to help this young lady and didn’t,  should be banned from participating in ANY marching arts program be it DCI, DCA, BOA;  for life.

• Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

You are probably right about anger from mm’s. As misplaced as that would be.  The situation having escalated to inactivity for 2022, has been brought on by the 2021 membership, along with adults enabling bad behavior or directly participating in bad behavior.  And I’m not talking being a little “naughty” here.  This was and is serious bad behavior.

anyone being mad at this young lady needs a major moral compass adjustment.  If ANYONE had stepped or spoken up sooner, backing up this young lady, SoA wouldn’t be in this position.  The fact that anyone could be mad at her, confirms to me there is little hope correcting this group.  A total organizational shut down is in order.  Any management personnel, instructors, volunteers, general admin’s., who were in a position to help this young lady and didn’t,  should be banned from participating in ANY marching arts program be it DCI, DCA, BOA;  for life.

Next statement from SoA should be interesting. Let us hope they have learned from previous ones this week. And let us hope they use the next statement to deflect anger from the young lady and to where it should be directed.

Edit: statement is up but my last sentence not addressed 😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Following a corps meeting held today with 2022 Spirit of Atlanta corps members, staff, volunteers and board members, the organization released the following statement:

As Spirit of Atlanta has examined the task ahead of us to provide the safest and best experience to members, staff, and volunteers, and also in consultation with DCI, we have made the decision to go on hiatus and reorganize during the 2022 season. Spirit of Atlanta believes that this is the best path forward to serve our mission, build the infrastructure that we know that we need for our future success, and to build the corps that we want to be. We believe that stepping back will allow Spirit to deeply analyze the changes that will help this organization and activity make the improvements needed to provide the highest standards for the health, safety, and social-emotional needs of our participating youth. Spirit of Atlanta and DCI collectively believe that it is in the best interests of all to complete this important work and return as a competitive corps in 2023.

https://dci.org/news/spirit-of-atlanta-withdraws-from-2022-dci-tour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Following a corps meeting held today with 2022 Spirit of Atlanta corps members, staff, volunteers and board members, the organization released the following statement:

As Spirit of Atlanta has examined the task ahead of us to provide the safest and best experience to members, staff, and volunteers, and also in consultation with DCI, we have made the decision to go on hiatus and reorganize during the 2022 season. Spirit of Atlanta believes that this is the best path forward to serve our mission, build the infrastructure that we know that we need for our future success, and to build the corps that we want to be. We believe that stepping back will allow Spirit to deeply analyze the changes that will help this organization and activity make the improvements needed to provide the highest standards for the health, safety, and social-emotional needs of our participating youth. Spirit of Atlanta and DCI collectively believe that it is in the best interests of all to complete this important work and return as a competitive corps in 2023.

https://dci.org/news/spirit-of-atlanta-withdraws-from-2022-dci-tour

I think this is the best decision that they could have made. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, anomaly said:

sad...saw the announcement. if they had only done the right things from the beginning.

Never forget YOU did the right things here, not them. And anyone that tries to blame you for this is WRONG

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 7