Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

And there is Jerry Harris, of course.  I remember hearing about that. 

Wait until season 2 episode 5 when that all comes tumbling out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think the most exercise I ever got outside of blocks was trying to wander around a find a place to hide so I could smoke LOL. I don't get the whole competitive cheer thing. It's too dangerous for my blood. And for what payoff...a spot in a college cheer program? I am not bashing the participants by any means, but the trade off seems a little skewed to me. That being said, people could say the same thing about modern drum corps with props and tarps.

It's kinda hard not to see the parallels between cheer and drum corps..both niche activities. they have their Superstar instructors and followers who revere them as well as increasingly creative content that demands great stress on the body..But like you said, competitive cheer is too dangerous ..IMO also

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

It's kinda hard not to see the parallels between cheer and drum corps..both niche activities. they have their Superstar instructors and followers who revere them as well as increasingly creative content that demands great stress on the body..But like you said, competitive cheer is too dangerous ..IMO also

Except they show Cheerleading championships on ESPN.  All we get is Flo.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

It happens in figure skating and hockey as well.  No matter how much Safesport training we go through. Mandatory yearly education, liability insurance and so on.  Some jerks have to make it rough for the rest of us who try to do our best for the athletes.  Is there any place that hasn't been troubled by all this crap?? Ok,,,,, maybe curling... maybe... not sure about that. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Except they show Cheerleading championships on ESPN.  All we get is Flo.

Cheerleading gets better ad revenue 

Edited by Jeff Ream

14 minutes ago, bldbrkr said:

It happens in figure skating and hockey as well.  No matter how much Safesport training we go through. Mandatory yearly education, liability insurance and so on.  Some jerks have to make it rough for the rest of us who try to do our best for the athletes.  Is there any place that hasn't been troubled by all this crap?? Ok,,,,, maybe curling... maybe... not sure about that. 

Something has to change. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Barneveld said:

Following a corps meeting held today with 2022 Spirit of Atlanta corps members, staff, volunteers and board members, the organization released the following statement:

As Spirit of Atlanta has examined the task ahead of us to provide the safest and best experience to members, staff, and volunteers, and also in consultation with DCI, we have made the decision to go on hiatus and reorganize during the 2022 season. Spirit of Atlanta believes that this is the best path forward to serve our mission, build the infrastructure that we know that we need for our future success, and to build the corps that we want to be. We believe that stepping back will allow Spirit to deeply analyze the changes that will help this organization and activity make the improvements needed to provide the highest standards for the health, safety, and social-emotional needs of our participating youth. Spirit of Atlanta and DCI collectively believe that it is in the best interests of all to complete this important work and return as a competitive corps in 2023.

https://dci.org/news/spirit-of-atlanta-withdraws-from-2022-dci-tour

Finally! adults acting like adults, making adult decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Something has to change. 

It has.  I don't want to stir the pot, but my years in drumcorps were filled with MANY inappropriate happenings.  I think that even with all the things going on now, it pales in comparison.  So often, the abused became the abusers.  The list of things that need to be changed is huge.

Even zero tolerance hasn't prevented abuse in other sports and arts.

Edited by bldbrkr