Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

46 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

The same zero tolerance policy needs to be in place at the DCI office and done for all DCI judges, show staff, co-ordinators and volunteers!

I’m not sure what this would accomplish. Most of the people who work at the DCI have little contact with the corps whether it be staff or marching members, even when finals are taking place. They are involved with ticket sales, merchandising, secretarial work, accounting, etc. Training on how to handle abuse reporting might be helpful. Someone with an allegation may press numbers to get a human voice and it won’t matter if it’s the main office or the person selling tickets. Judges should be trained and if an allegation arises from when they were on staff arises, it should be investigated and if guilty, the judge should be removed. Regarding show coordinators, staff and volunteers, that’s unnecessary. 

Edited by Tim K

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I agree,  but before we get to the bitd, I want to fix the now, NOW.  Immediate  training or retraining must be done at the earliest possible time for any corps participating in any tour in 2022.    Either a corps dedicates, during a camp time,  a focused day of this for the org., or dedicates Day #1 of ST for training.  No corps gets to hit the road this year, or participate in any DCI sponsored event without submitting to DCI, a certified doc proving implementation, execution and compliance with a training program.  DCI, on its website, should then  publish a link to these docs and outlines a season long monitoring program; with monitors names and their contact info along with an incident reporting process,  so current mm’s & parents, future mm’s & parents and all fans know of this.  Keep it open, keep it safe,  keep a light on it.

Honestly, we might be at the point where DCI has to shut things down for 2022 to address these issues. I have a feeling there are more ready to come I light. Hire the most reputable independent law firm with zero ties to DCI or the music community. Let them investigate and make recommendations. Then hold everyone’s feet to the fire. No one gets a pass. You have to prove to the world that you are worthy of a third chance. They’ve totally f’d up!

• Like 1

Thank you mods… you know why…

This whole thing is a lawsuit away from blowing up 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

This whole thing is a lawsuit away from blowing up 

Surprised this hasn’t happened already with all the stupidity shown by various corps. But noooooo ($1 to John Belushi) let’s do things the way we always have, enable the predators and shame anyone who speaks out or supports those who speak out. 
Corps always seem to be “crying poor”, well how about a nice fat lawsuit payout to deal with. I am #### surprised the insurance payments haven’t gone through the roof.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

One prominent SOA alumnus, who was recently inducted into their own HOF in 2021, is on their FB page decrying the “woke crowd” and “belly moaning to DCI.” And continually referring to her as “victim.” (Using quotes around the word.) And telling people they don’t know the facts. As I said before, I hope this is the minority view among their alumni.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, year1buick said:

One prominent SOA alumnus, who was recently inducted into their own HOF in 2021, is on their FB page decrying the “woke crowd” and “belly moaning to DCI.” And continually referring to her as “victim.” (Using quotes around the word.) And telling people they don’t know the facts. As I said before, I hope this is the minority view among their alumni.

And therein lies the problem. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I never thought I would ever say this, but I hope the entire activity gets blown up. And I’m not part of the “woke” crowd… I’m an alumni and parent. 

I’m not sure if I am woke or not … I’m retired so I get up late, and then wonder if I need a nap or not. 

• Haha 4