Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

3 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I keep waiting (hoping!) for a post or few with evidence that events did not unfold as badly as described by the member who originally posted. Or with evidence that Spirit staff and leaders acted much more appropriately than is indicated.

Looks like those posts are not going to appear.

There are people in the reddit thread who came forward with a conflicting account of the events, even implying that the serial harasser was arrested in front of the corps. Who knows what to believe at this point

56 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

As a person on the brass bus, there were zero staff members present. What happened, also happened on the brass bus. It was horrible. Staff didn't handle it. 

Why weren't there any staff members on the bus? Admittedly its been a while but when I was there the entire brass staff rode on the brass bus with us

11 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

There are people in the reddit thread who came forward with a conflicting account of the events, even implying that the serial harasser was arrested in front of the corps. Who knows what to believe at this point

Yeah I am getting a bit confused and hating Reddit overall isn't helping my focus much. I'm curious about this supposed zoom meeting. That being said, not one person is denying that what was reported actually occured. The only contradiction seems to be in the reported response by the corps. While fundamentally important, I'm still ###### that it happened at all. 

15 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Why weren't there any staff members on the bus? Admittedly its been a while but when I was there the entire brass staff rode on the brass bus with us

We always had them as well but it was also the 80s. There should be staff on EVERY vehicle where members are present. It is the responsibility of every staff member to ensure the health and safety of every MM. Surely that has not changed over the decades. 

As I think back to my DCI days, yeah we probably cursed too much, drank too much, smoked too much. We even had a blow up doll that hung out in the perc trailer. Our captions heads sometimes got a little hot headed and probably said some things that would raise an eyebrow now. It was wrong and shouldn't have happened. What I NEVER saw was rampant, clear, divisive behavior and sexual assault. THAT pisses me the #&:# off. I'm also smart enough to realize that I probably was sheltered from seeing stuff by my own youth and ignorance to the world and by being absorbed in just trying to hack it in DCI.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

Unsure. There was zero staff on any kind of member bus. The staff had their own bus. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

The conflicting information about the assaulter is false. I will vouch for the OP. The police had zero involvement and there were no police at the housing site. When tour ended, several of the hornline members attacked the OP for the reputation of SOA and made lies. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Someone mentioned title IX on the reddit thread & that gets me wondering.  

Title IX only applies to educational organizations that receive federal funding.  DCI (& the Corps) claims to be educational organizations, & DCI & some Corps received federal funding as part of the Covid response.  So, would TitleiX apply?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

1 minute ago, ContraBugle said:

The conflicting information about the assaulter is false. I will vouch for the OP. The police had zero involvement and there were no police at the housing site. When tour ended, several of the hornline members attacked the OP for the reputation of SOA and made lies. 

From an old Contra player to a much younger one - I am proud of your standing up for the OP and shedding additional light on this dark topic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ContraBugle said:

Unsure. There was zero staff on any kind of member bus. The staff had their own bus. 

Recipe for disaster Chapter 1, 1st paragraph. That's pure insanity. Even if you trust your membership 101%, you HAVE to be present when young adults are involved. I'm sorry that you weren't given the leadership presence that you cats deserved. 

• Like 1