Sexual Assault: Spirit of Atlanta 2021

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Someone mentioned title IX on the reddit thread & that gets me wondering.  

Title IX only applies to educational organizations that receive federal funding.  DCI & the Corps) claims to be educational organizations, & DCI & some Corps received federal funding as part of the Covid response.  So, would TitleiX apply?

I do not believe Title IX would apply to drum corps. Drum corps sees its mission as educational, but drum corps is not an educational institution where it does not grant degrees, etc. Back in the day when Spirit was Spirit of JSU, the accusations against the corps could have endangered Title IX funding for Jackson State since it was affiliated with a university. Yes, Spirit was an extracurricular activity, but a few years back there was a public situation where Harvard has troubles with Title IX funds with the Hasty Pudding Society being all male. I would imagine that other than history, one of the reasons universities do not officially recognize fraternities and sororities is due to Title IX. 

Regarding Covid funding, some corps got PPP loans, but I can’t think of how a PPP loan would have any bearing on this discussion. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Of course Jim. And let's be absolutely transparent. There are and will always be those vets who circle the wagons and do/say whatever to try to protect the corps from negative optics. Politics is alive and well in drum corps. But those few are not the majority. This is probably true in every corps that goes through this. 

True in more than drum corps too. Have seen and heard it first hand.

Come to think of it believe it’s been 25 years since church council I was on told a guy to quit being “huggy” with the high school girls he was working with. He flipped and things were interesting for a while (still waiting for my defamation lawsuit).

6 minutes ago, ContraBugle said:

The OP just posted this to twitter https://twitter.com/kenzeegh/status/1480292823903711233?s=20 if any of you wanted to see it. 

Ughhhhhhh. "Nothing leaves the bus?!?!?!" SERIOUSLY?!?!?! This is NOT kind the of guiding principles that this or any corps was founded on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It occurs to me that because DCI is based in Indianapolis, perhaps the Indianapolis Star should start an investigation.  They have the expertise concerning the investigation of sexual assault in a competitive artistic youth activity- it was their reporters that broke the Larry Nassar/USA Gymnastics story.

FWIW, Tricia Novolny's team member at USA Today (one of her partners in the Varsity cheer investigations) is former Indianapolis Star investigative reporter Marisa Kwiatkowsk. Marisa was one of the key Nassar reporters. 

Edited by mingusmonk
Clarification

Spirit is deleting comments and untagging themselves on social media posts.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Spirit is deleting comments and untagging themselves on social media posts.   

So THAT is their response?

REALLY?

Dan Acheson needs to enact Policy 321 right now.

If this gets into the public eye.. ie: outside of the infinitely small drum corps universe, Dan may not need to act as I cant imagine a single school or housing site that would want to potentially open themselves up to this sort of risk. Problem is, that every OTHER corps will be tarnished by this as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I had two quotes from two different people.  The other person said the "send a message" part... not you.  You are free and clear.

Thanks I’ll rest better 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cainan said:

If this gets into the public eye.. ie: outside of the infinitely small drum corps universe, Dan may not need to act as I cant imagine a single school or housing site that would want to potentially open themselves up to this sort of risk. Problem is, that every OTHER corps will be tarnished by this as well.

Once all the other corps untag themselves in social media posts, they will have no trouble finding housing.  Problem solved!