And the floodgates are opening

With each passing day and new accusation, it is painfully obvious that, when it comes to Drum Corps and DCI, "the inmates are running the asylum".

Again, without a true Governing Body with investigative and enforcement powers, including uniform penalties ,these kinds of things are going to keep happening.

I also like the idea of restructuring to address the issues with the age differences with corps members.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2

Reminded of the project leader I had whose daughter was in Cadets around 2010 during the you know who era. Part way through tour had breathing problems (allergies?, asthma?) and had to drop out. Dad picks her up at the corps site and NO ONE talks to them. No info on what happened and no checking this person picking her up is actually her dad. Later saw two Cadets on social media saying “well she dropped out so she wasn’t Cadets material anyway”. Later had two posters here say dad must have been lying. My response was I trusted the Marine who had been honest over the years I knew him.
Drum Crops is a family…. 🤮

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would prefer something more like this.   But same end result.

I like the “ships sinking” “then we’ll sink together “. Thought of DCI honchos sinking gives me a warm fuzzy feeling at this point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cainan said:

. Perhaps it is time for more women to be in charge (how many female corps directors are there? How many women are board chairs an and how many women have been in charge of DCI? Not many and NONE on that last one). Boards perhaps need to be more representative of the memberships... younger, more diverse, more in touch with how things work TODAY. 

AND EVERY SINGLE CORPS MUST HAVE A COMPLIANCE OFFICER WITH ULTIMATE ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITY... ABOVE AND BEYOND THAT OF THE CORPS DIRECTOR. I'D EVEN SAY THAT EVERY CORPS SHOULD HAVE AN ACCOUNTABILITY OFFICER THAT REPORTS TO NOBODY BUT DCI DIRECT.

My two cents there...

Terri - I think I have discovered the ideal job for you.  And I am more than semi-serious.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I think the entire model for both the Open & World Classes should be restructured.  I just told my wife that the thought of having a 14 year old early HS female student tour with a 21 year old college student ( and according to their birthday could tour as a 22 year old) causes me to scratch my head.  (And I was heavily involved as a corps staff member in my college & early band director years.)  As a band director, I've always encouraged our students to wait until their senior year, right after graduation, to march.  I've always thought that they would be more mature & would appreciate the content of their experience.  Most students followed my advice except for one or two.

My question is could DCI restructure the age limits for open & work class to help off set these vast age differences?  Open Class 14-17 with 'high school" style oversight & world class 18-22 college age students?  I forget the age limits for open class but it could be used as a 'feeder' format for world class?  (I realize that it's already being used for that purpose but just speculating.)  

I, as a father, would not allow my 14 year old daughter to march in the current format unless I was on the bus with her as a staff member or volunteer.  And I think any form of "Rookie Talent Night" should be in an open format in front of the entire corps plus staff.  We have something similar at band camp every year but it's an open format & we're able to control the events.  (All section leaders must show our staff the content, gag gifts, etc that will be presented.)  

I don't know, just thinking out loud.  On a forum... 🤔🧐     

And I love the drum corps experience & product...      

These are good points, but why make a distinction for gender?  Don’t you think a 14 year old male student can be a victim?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The tune was played by Guardsmen & 27 BITD.

And Reading Buccaneers 1980(?) when they won DCA

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

These are good points, but why make a distinction for gender?  Don’t you think a 14 year old male student can be a victim?

Yes, I thought of that later.  I Guess that was skewed by the thought of a 14 year old daughter.  But you're correct; it should apply to any gender 14 - 21.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Yes, I thought of that later.  I Guess that was skewed by the thought of a 14 year old daughter.  But you're correct; it should apply to any gender 14 - 21.    

My Department of Defense training only covered male harassing female for years. Then they woke up it could go other way. When I left it covered same gender harassment.

When female harassing male wasn’t covered my agency covered it with an additional video one year… and got into trouble. People in the agency acted it out and had two women making sexist remarks about a male co-worker who was out of earshot. Next year no video and the male involved told me “one of the remarks went too far and people complained”. Something about being able to carry two cups of coffee and donuts. (Mods can delete that if I went too far also)

Edited by JimF-LowBari