And the floodgates are opening

22 minutes ago, crownisking said:

It would be a punch to the gut to learn the home corps is part of this too…but if it happened, I hope it all comes to light. 

I want every single person involved in the act and/or the cover up to be permanently banned from the activity. I don’t care how big the name. This **** is NOT ok and it needs to stop YESTERDAY or the activity we all love will die a painful death. 

They did it at crown then again at the next corps and high school they worked at. This person simply moved again and is working in another state. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Drum corps has run its course. It’s so self-serving compared to 50 years ago. What’s the value and who are they really serving? Hundreds audition and the cream of the crop receives a contract. What service is being provided to the local community? NONE! 

Drum corps shouldn't exist if they can't have a system where these horrific issues of abuse are actually dealt with. 

That's as far as I'll go. 

The idea that drum corps should only exist if they serve local communities has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

It looks like someone from crown recently came out with an allegation against crown. This just keeps getting worse and worse

not the instance I'm speaking of, but I'm glad it is starting. The abuser in the situation I know of was a staff member. 

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Drum corps has run its course. It’s so self-serving compared to 50 years ago. What’s the value and who are they really serving? Hundreds audition and the cream of the crop receives a contract. What service is being provided to the local community? NONE! 

You know what's interesting... we've all become so caught up in the competition aspect of drum corps that we've forgotten what the real purpose of the activity is. That's why last season was so incredible. No rule books, no competition. The kids performed to perform and the corps spoke to the audience. The shows weren't perfect, but they were fun with multiple standing ovations. It was more pure last season than its been in decades. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Cainan said:

It's getting to the point where when you try to find positives, it's merely trying to defend the indefensible.

Burn it all down.

Blow it up.  Not just DCI as a specific entity but the fabric, mindset & culture of this entire activity.  Including those making a living on this activity through a willingness to turn a blind eye to repugnant actions that may also be criminal in nature.   

Fold everyone.  Make "corps" payoff their debts or force them into bankruptcy and sell as many assets as possible (including their skateboard ramps, trampolines, hair metal era sound systems and scaffolding)

Perhaps... in a few years....some sort or reboot could be attempted focusing on local/regional involvement in community.  Don't make it a full time job to march or require young adults to have to get a full time job themselves just to be able to pay dues.  If it doesn't work then so be it.  

My approach sounds a bit biblical in its scale I suppose but perhaps profoundly extreme action is needed.  Otherwise, it will never truly change. 

Edited by scout9193
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

You know what's interesting... we've all become so caught up in the competition aspect of drum corps that we've forgotten what the real purpose of the activity is. That's why last season was so incredible. No rule books, no competition. The kids performed to perform and the corps spoke to the audience. The shows weren't perfect, but they were fun with multiple standing ovations. It was more pure last season than its been in decades. 

Abuse happened in 2021 as well.  The former SoA that started the current discussions marched in 2021. 

• Like 1