And the floodgates are opening

46 minutes ago, Smug Trumpet Guy said:

It looks like someone from crown recently came out with an allegation against crown. This just keeps getting worse and worse

This is sad on so many levels and is pretty much standard operating procedure for serial abusers. Victims often think it is somehow their fault because they’ve been gaslighted and threatened by their abusers. It also illustrates the fear of coming forward because victims don’t want to rock the boat or be seen as anything but a team player or in the case of so many women, a “people pleaser”. (“You need to smile more” ugh) Drum corps is the perfect environment for someone with predatory behavior. We’ve seen it played out in so many other institutions and now is the time to expose the filthy underbelly of drum corps. If that happens there may be a slim chance this activity we love can be salvaged. 

• Like 1

this activity is going to kill itself due to arrogance and ego...

My wife and I have expecting our 1st child in 6 weeks, and as much as I want that child to love this activity as passionately as I do, but i sure as heck would not want  them to participate if it is still a cesspool of disgusting people. The entirety pf DCI needs to be thrown aout and a new structure is required...if I had a child of age and talent, I wouldnt to send them to participate.

I am also ##'n mad as hell, contemplating pulling all of my donations for the remainder of 2022 (and beyond if I have to).  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Im absolutely heartbroken reading all of these statements. And I'm absolutely ###### as all hell. 

This may not come out the way I mean it to or it may sound condescending..if so I apologize as it's not my intent. 

To an extent I feel the same way; however, I think part of the problem is how much importance we as former members and fans have placed on the activity.  Similar to sporting events...my teams loses...the sun still comes up.  There's a fine line between being fully vested in the success of something you feel proud being part of vs. living & dying by how a group of people are performing on a given night.  I think we're to blame as well for what bandcorps has become.  

What happens if it all truly comes crashing down?  Will folks stop coming to message boards like this or Reddit?  Will friends lose contact (maybe)?  Will you feel a hole in your heart during the summer (probably at first but it can be filled with any number of other pastimes and hobbies).   The next day will still come and the real problems of my life being a husband, father, trying to stay healthy as I grow older will still exist.  

I think what's lacking- among several "big ticket items"- is perspective on how important bandcorps is.  We've lost sight of why this activity was started.  This is not an indictment of tear down vs. build up judging, dinosaur/get off my lawn guys (which admittedly I am certainly one of) vs. the new generation.  It's gotten too big, too much of a "keeping up with the Jones'" for the sake self-aggrandizement of a few haughty individuals.  By design (pardon the expression) it is now affording opportunities to people to stay employed (and dare I say idolized?) when they should actually be in jail, not working with young adults.  It needs to die if for no other reason to bring to light those who've been hiding in this activity for too long.  Those who are doing ill and those covering it up just so they can ensure their personal continued financial security. 

Anyway...

Edited by scout9193
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

This is sad on so many levels and is pretty much standard operating procedure for serial abusers. Victims often think it is somehow their fault because they’ve been gaslighted and threatened by their abusers. It also illustrates the fear of coming forward because victims don’t want to rock the boat or be seen as anything but a team player or in the case of so many women, a “people pleaser”. (“You need to smile more” ugh) Drum corps is the perfect environment for someone with predatory behavior. We’ve seen it played out in so many other institutions and now is the time to expose the filthy underbelly of drum corps. If that happens there may be a slim chance this activity we love can be salvaged. 

Most of the survivors who have come forward have been castigated by SOME of their fellow corps members.   I think we’ve seen examples in almost every case. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Everyone forgot about this. 

I always found it interesting how Steve Vickers and Drum Corps World have never (to my knowledge anyway) published anything concerning this plague. Probably for the same reasons DCI sits on their cans. Just follow the money. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Going forward…don’t report anything to the drum corps or DCI.  Call 911 and get the authorities involved.  I know of no other way to say it:  these people aren’t to be trusted with your well-being. 

I agree.  But I wouldn't let any child of mine near any corps right now.  Authorities getting involved should be automatic based on established protocols EVERY corps has to abide by, or the corps should go down.  

But I guarantee DCI and member corps are going to just lay low, maybe put out a perfunctory statement here and there with no real changes, and wait for this to blow over.

Then it'll be business as usual: turn a blind eye towards abuse, actively encourage abuse, tell victims they're going to handle it and then don't do anything, allow predators (both staff and performers) to shuffle from one corps. and on and on and on.  

It's at a point where I think only a national news story on par with USA Gymnastics/Michigan State will ever result in real change for DCI.  But the question of who is in charge and who is responsible for keeping this from happening is so INTENTIONALLY fragmented within DCI, I don't know if it's ever going to happen. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I always found it interesting how Steve Vickers and Drum Corps World have never (to my knowledge anyway) published anything concerning this plague. Probably for the same reasons DCI sits on their cans. Just follow the money. 

I agree w/ ‘Follow the Money’, but a legit question- how much money is there to follow?  I can think of a bunch of professions where one could make lots more money than I think exists within Drum Corps.  

To use a Poppycock term, there’s only so much blood for the pageantry leaches 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Was thinking that too and wonder if there would be a DCW if DCI told its people not to give info to Steve.

Rock/hard place but DCW could get out the full story IF DCI DECIDED TO BE OPEN ABOUT THIS WHOLE MESS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Going forward…don’t report anything to the drum corps or DCI.  Call 911 and get the authorities involved.  I know of no other way to say it:  these people aren’t to be trusted with your well-being. 

That would be a policy that would be very easy for DCI to implement.

Require every corps to give every MM, staff member a one page flyer saying something to the effect that :

If you are, or even suspect  you may be a victim of _______  ,call 911 and report it to the police, before you notify anyone else.

• Like 5