And the floodgates are opening

Suta and pickle will get exactly what they want, I have no doubt.  I see DCI throwing everything back to individual corps because so far, it's worked in their eyes.  The stories pop up, eventually die out, and then they just do the same thing the next time, and the next time, and the next time.  Nothing more than a way for DCI and member corps to be held accountable as little as possible. The fact that predators bounce from corps to corps is all any rational human needs to see to understand that systemic change is needed. 

All I can do is hope that this handful of brave people who are speaking out will encourage other victims to do the same.  The number of survivors who speak up about sexual assault is infinitesimal compared to the number of actual survivors, so that 74% number or whatever that pickle threw out is completely meaningless.  Sentiments like that are exactly why victims don't come forward and why things don't change at the organizational level for decades.  Just a vicious cycle.  It has to stop.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I always found it interesting how Steve Vickers and Drum Corps World have never (to my knowledge anyway) published anything concerning this plague. Probably for the same reasons DCI sits on their cans. Just follow the money. 

The same DCW that posted this skeevy old tour diary in October 2021? Sure. 

d2EDFzA.jpg

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Suta and pickle will get exactly what they want, I have no doubt.  I see DCI throwing everything back to individual corps, and all I can do is hope that this handful of brave people who are speaking out will encourage other victims to do the same.  The number of survivors who speak up about sexual assault is infinitesimal compared to the number of actual survivors, so that 74% number or whatever that pickle threw out is completely meaningless.  Sentiments like that are exactly why victims don't come forward and why things don't change at the organizational level for decades.  Just a vicious cycle.  It has to stop.  

Sooner or later lawyers will get involved.

Perhaps they already are.

I wonder what individual from DCI or Corps will be the first one asked when deposed  'When you knew or reasonably should have known that sexual assaults and harassment was occurring in Corps X, why did you not act so it would never happen again?  Why did you not contact Law Enforcement?  etc etc etc' 

There is a point where negligence becomes criminal.  It is called criminal negligence.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Lance said:

Suta and pickle will get exactly what they want, I have no doubt.  I see DCI throwing everything back to individual corps, and all I can do is hope that this handful of brave people who are speaking out will encourage other victims to do the same.  The number of survivors who speak up about sexual assault is infinitesimal compared to the number of actual survivors, so that 74% number or whatever that pickle threw out is completely meaningless.  Sentiments like that are exactly why victims don't come forward and why things don't change at the organizational level for decades.  Just a vicious cycle.  It has to stop.  

I certainly hope so Lance. What happened to the basic idea of “innocent until proven guilty” for both the accused and the accuser? None of us were there to corroborate any of these accusations. Burning down DCI will do nothing, but having the participating corps report their response to said allegations allowing the enforcement of transparency will hopefully resolve the issue. 

17 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

The same DCW that posted this skeevy old tour diary in October 2021? Sure. 

d2EDFzA.jpg

Remember seeing that and thinking how strange finally to be reading something bad. Then I saw the 1982 date and thought looked like a “look how bad things used to be” deflection.

I have been following these topics for days now. I don't doubt the accusers' stories and am broken hearted for them.  Having said that,  YES, lawyers  should be involved. And law enforcement.  People should be arrested, and charged,  and brought to court, and adjudicated and sent to prison if found guilty.  

It seems as though there is no shortage right now of righteous indignation on social media,  but perhaps instead  of suggesting that this corps or that or even all of DCI or all of the Marching activities be "burned down" , maybe we should give support to the accusers and allow the legal system to work. I think the hundreds of staff people who have great integrity and thousands of innocent corps members who work so hard for the experience deserve that.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Sooner or later lawyers will get involved.

Perhaps they already are.

I wonder what individual from DCI or Corps will be the first one when deposed asked 'When you knew or reasonably should have known that sexual assaults and harassment was occurring in Corps X, why did you not do act so it would never happen again?  Why did you not contact Law Enforcement?  etc etc etc' 

There is a point where negligence becomes criminal.  It is called criminal negligence.

If court is where the accuser and the accused want it to go, it will. 

Edited by Sutasaurus

3 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I certainly hope so Lance. What happened to the basic idea of “innocent until proven guilty” for both the accused and the accuser? None of us were there to corroborate any of these accusations. Burning down DCI will do nothing, but having the participating corps report their response to said allegations allowing the enforcement of transparency will hopefully resolve the issue. 

Well we’ve seen SoA response which is there was a problem and to promise to do what they should have done anyway. And what they will do is??????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well we’ve seen SoA response which is there was a problem and to promise to do what they should have done anyway. And what they will do is??????

That’s up to SoA not DCP.