And the floodgates are opening

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

My encounter with a sexual predator when I was nine resulted in a call from my mom to the police, and a court hearing.  But people can do whatever they want.  Insanity is doing the same thing, the same way, but expecting different results.  

I don't disagree that a call to police is the right course of action in some cases, and am appreciative of the fact that it worked in your case.  My fear is that a member calls 911 to report something they feel is criminal.  A local officer arrives and conducts a preliminary investigation.  Using the training they have received (which isn't always adequate or specialized enough), the officer determines that a crime didn't occur.  The officer leaves with no substantive action taken.  The reporting member is left to their own devices, and is potentially the target of even more bullying and/or harassment (all unethical & inappropriate, but falling under the levels defined as criminal).  Who steps in at that point?  That's the part of the equation that needs to be worked out.  There can't be any gaps in the reporting/response system(s) that will potentially allow the reporter to be victimized even more.

Just to be clear - I'm not looking to do things the same way.  If anything, I'm looking to make sure that all of the previous mistakes are avoided in the future... and all of the holes plugged that make the current state of the activity so insane.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and as for letting those involved sorting it out, well...here we are 4 years after the story that rocked drum corps to its core, and this is still happening. Sorry i have little faith in those involved 

Seeing it as DCI thinking they can get away with trying to keep things quiet and lip service when something comes out. IOW the way they’ve always handled things except now they have a policy. The policy is nothing more than words on paper however.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

17 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

Using the training they have received (which isn't always adequate or specialized enough), the officer determines that a crime didn't occur.  The officer leaves with no substantive action taken. 

You know this to be true? How! Our men and women in blue once praised now vilified.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

I don't disagree that a call to police is the right course of action in some cases, and am appreciative of the fact that it worked in your case.  My fear is that a member calls 911 to report something they feel is criminal.  A local officer arrives and conducts a preliminary investigation.  Using the training they have received (which isn't always adequate or specialized enough), the officer determines that a crime didn't occur.  The officer leaves with no substantive action taken.  The reporting member is left to their own devices, and is potentially the target of even more bullying and/or harassment (all unethical & inappropriate, but falling under the levels defined as criminal).  Who steps in at that point?  That's the part of the equation that needs to be worked out.  There can't be any gaps in the reporting/response system(s) that will potentially allow the reporter to be victimized even more.

Just to be clear - I'm not looking to do things the same way.  If anything, I'm looking to make sure that all of the previous mistakes are avoided in the future... and all of the holes plugged that make the current state of the activity so insane.

It really didn’t work out because the judge released the guy due to the fact that he had a pregnant wife.  But the happy ending is that my dad was teamster and the guy suddenly had two broken legs and he moved.  All’s well that ends well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Special issue with harassment/abuse cases is if they take place on a moving bus. How would jurisdiction be handled. Same as if an incident takes place at one location but victim not able to contact police until in another location.
And how would a victim know which police force handles where the incident occurs. At my college there were 3 police forces involved (college, town, township just outside of town). Within a block or two you could be in all 3.

DCI policy to handle these issues? IMO an outside agency with a hotline number. Let them handle who to contact and members only have to call the number on the card. (Yes all people connected to the corps get these)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It really didn’t work out because the judge released the guy due to the fact that he had a pregnant wife.  But the happy ending is that my dad was teamster and the guy suddenly had two broken legs and he moved.  All’s well that ends well. 

Horrible it had to come to that.

Something like that is at start of Godfather book that (IIRC) didn’t make it in the movie. Scary line is “I don’t want him out of the hospital for less than 2 months”.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

so after 4 years and how many corps with stories coming out is ok to "let them handle it?"

sorry, that train rolled out of the station in say oh 2019.

And you’re going to change it???? Really? Harping about it here isn’t doing anything go to DCI directly and demand answers.

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I’ll take the high road, but let’s not pretend there isn’t or has never been questionable conduct. 

Now that’s kinda a convenient answer. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

IMO, the only way for probation to have teeth is financial pain for the offender. 

Then quit DCI.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Special issue with harassment/abuse cases is if they take place on a moving bus. How would jurisdiction be handled. Same as if an incident takes place at one location but victim not able to contact police until in another location.
And how would a victim know which police force handles where the incident occurs. At my college there were 3 police forces involved (college, town, township just outside of town). Within a block or two you could be in all 3.

DCI policy to handle these issues?

Boston College’s campus includes Newton, Brookline, and Brighton (a section of Boston) which happen to be in three different counties. The campus police handle issues, but if it is something that ends up in court, it depends on where the incident takes place. 

Regarding the moving bus, the best bet would be to call law enforcement when the bus stops. They can take the initial complaint and determine jurisdiction. 

• Thanks 1