And the floodgates are opening

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Special issue with harassment/abuse cases is if they take place on a moving bus. How would jurisdiction be handled. Same as if an incident takes place at one location but victim not able to contact police until in another location.
And how would a victim know which police force handles where the incident occurs. At my college there were 3 police forces involved (college, town, township just outside of town). Within a block or two you could be in all 3.

DCI policy to handle these issues? IMO an outside agency with a hotline number. Let them handle who to contact and members only have to call the number on the card. (Yes all people connected to the corps get these)

First off, if a member is raped, as some say they were, then 911 is the immediate and only acceptable response.   Law enforcement knows how to deal with this, including medical documentation of the crime, detention of the alleged perp, working with DA, etc.   

As far as a number to call - DCI has something like that now.  Only works if the people on other end are willing to intervene.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

IMO You’re coming across as an apologist who believes that if we don’t agree with your opinion, there’s something wrong with us and we need to be shouted down. There is clearly a cesspool of shady characters infesting this activity - membership included. 

I’m not apologizing for anything. Don’t misconstrue or misrepresent my opinion. I’ve afforded you the same courtesy.  Not shouting down anyone but asking people to take a breath, step back and listen to both sides. Do I deserve the wrath of DCP for this? I hope not. 

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all. First time posting in at least two years. I checked out because, for me, DCI had already jumped the shark so I was done. Anyway just signed in to say Sutasaurus is right. The only thing they’ll listen to is $$. So, y’all need to stop spending your hard earned money on DCI. Now. Today. No more going to shows. No more DVDs etc. No more Flo. If you are serious in your anger I see no other options.  Empty stadiums will send the message that nothing else will. God bless you. A big thank you to the kids with the bravery to speak up. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Horrible it had to come to that.

Something like that is at start of Godfather book that (IIRC) didn’t make it in the movie. Scary line is “I don’t want him out of the hospital for less than 2 months”.

He lived two blocks away.  I was afraid to go to the bus stop.  He just wanted him to move.  He needed convincing.

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As far as a number to call - DCI has something like that now.  Only works if the people on other end are willing to intervene.  

And who answers that number.. DCI or outside group? 
Pretty sure I can figure it out but let’s get it on the record here

We’re all better than this. There seems to be more focus on saving organizations and livelihoods instead of protecting those who are supposed to be benefiting the most from the drum corps experience. The bad actors need to be held accountable. Probation is not acceptable. SoA should face the consequences of their behavior and inaction. Suspension from competition will force them to compliance of the guidelines. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And who answers that number.. DCI or outside group? 
Pretty sure I can figure it out but let’s get it on the record here

Thanks! If you are not happy with the way government is handling/mishandling current issues…Call your representatives! Don’t expect them to troll obscure websites. If DCI’s “switchboards” were to light up with calls from the concerned, it might hasten change. Ya gotta try.

5 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Thanks! If you are not happy with the way government is handling/mishandling current issues…Call your representatives! Don’t expect them to troll obscure websites. If DCI’s “switchboards” were to light up with calls from the concerned, it might hasten change. Ya gotta try.

I’m asking who handles the abuse “hotline”, DCI or someone else. 

3 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

We’re all better than this. There seems to be more focus on saving organizations and livelihoods instead of protecting those who are supposed to be benefiting the most from the drum corps experience. The bad actors need to be held accountable. Probation is not acceptable. SoA should face the consequences of their behavior and inaction. Suspension from competition will force them to compliance of the guidelines. 

I respect where you’re coming from Poppycock and I agree that we’re better than this which is why we need to demand more transparency from DCI and it’s member organizations going forward. The spotlight has laser focus on SoA now and will be dealt with if new allegations arise? Isn’t that enough? 

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m asking who handles the abuse “hotline”, DCI or someone else. 

If there’s enough activity on the hotline….whomever is in charge. It will be noticed and dealt with.

• Haha 2