And the floodgates are opening

15 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

We’re all better than this. There seems to be more focus on saving organizations and livelihoods instead of protecting those who are supposed to be benefiting the most from the drum corps experience. The bad actors need to be held accountable. Probation is not acceptable. SoA should face the consequences of their behavior and inaction. Suspension from competition will force them to compliance of the guidelines. 

This. All Of this!!!! Saving their collective ##### is what put us in this position. The only way any of this will stop is drastic change, and it’s going to hurt. But for the sake and well being of the kids, it needs to be done. Anything less shows that none of us are serious about protecting the students. 

• Like 4

Very rarely do I have patients who are happy to hear me say that I need to take out a bad tooth. But it’s my job. Sometimes, there’s just no saving them.

I don’t know if DCI is too far gone, yet, (e.g. “non-restorable” in my world) but it definitely has an infection that needs to be cleared. Immediately.

I also agree with what others have been saying in regards to having some sort of impartial oversight responsible for protecting member health and safety. (One that also doesn’t lick the boots of the DCI membership.)

Each corps should be required to have a compliance officer and some sort of direct chaperoning on the busses and in the gyms.

And there should be prescribed penalties for non compliance. None of this double secret probation ########.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

This. All Of this!!!! Saving their collective ##### is what put us in this position. The only way any of this will stop is drastic change, and it’s going to hurt. But for the sake and well being of the kids, it needs to be done. Anything less shows that none of us are serious about protecting the students. 

And which one of us is ready/willing to recreate DCI? 

40 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Hi all. First time posting in at least two years. I checked out because, for me, DCI had already jumped the shark so I was done. Anyway just signed in to say Sutasaurus is right. The only thing they’ll listen to is $$. So, y’all need to stop spending your hard earned money on DCI. Now. Today. No more going to shows. No more DVDs etc. No more Flo. If you are serious in your anger I see no other options.  Empty stadiums will send the message that nothing else will. God bless you. A big thank you to the kids with the bravery to speak up. 

I was going to subscribe to flo this summer but I won’t be doing that this year.  

27 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

If there’s enough activity on the hotline….whomever is in charge. It will be noticed and dealt with.

Missing my point. Some victims may not feel comfortable calling DCI to report a problem with a DCI corps. They might be less likely to report. That’s why my work place had an outside agency’s number if someone didn’t feel right dealing within the agency. 
And IMO DCI policing it’s own corps is a conflict of interest.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

And which one of us is ready/willing to recreate DCI? 

Maybe it doesn’t deserve to be recreated. The fact that this question is even asked is disgusting. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING should ever come before the well-being of a person or group of people, especially a young person who has been sexually assaulted. If DCI can’t lead responsibly, they don’t deserve to be around. Period. 

Having a backup plan to start a new orginzation is the least of my concerns. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And who answers that number.. DCI or outside group? 
Pretty sure I can figure it out but let’s get it on the record here

Either, but whoever it is needs authority and desire to act.  Victim’s need to be taken seriously, treated with compassion & respect, & not be bullied by members or staff.   I am stumped by the fact in SoA numerous staff failed to help members with serious, valid complaints.  There would have to be someone along with the Corps who is contacted by the hotline (or maybe they answer the phone).  They need the authority to dismiss members, fire staff, and if need be shut down the corps for the season.  So they can’t be part of the Corps staff - they report to DCI or some compliance organization who backs them up.  

I recall working on some stuff in Pentagon where we came to the conclusion that we want is a product (for Drum Corps a member safety process) that is quick, inexpensive, and high-quality. The problem is you can only have 2 of those - I.e., if you want quick and high-quality it won’t be inexpensive, if you want quick and inexpensive it won’t be high-quality, and so forth.  

Sorry for the rambling- I’m just trying to think this through.   Maybe there is a nugget in this somewhere.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Very rarely do I have patients who are happy to hear me say that I need to take out a bad tooth. But it’s my job. Sometimes, there’s just no saving them.

I don’t know if DCI is too far gone, yet, (e.g. “non-restorable” in my world) but it definitely has an infection that needs to be cleared. Immediately.

I also agree with what others have been saying in regards to having some sort of impartial oversight responsible for protecting member health and safety. (One that also doesn’t lick the boots of the DCI membership.)

Each corps should be required to have a compliance officer and some sort of direct chaperoning on the busses and in the gyms.

And there should be prescribed penalties for non compliance. None of this double secret probation ########.

Perhaps bring back a requirement for parent-chaperones, say 2-3/bus?   That could be something that could be implemented rather quickly. 

Edit: the difficulty with this idea is that members now come from all over - parents aren’t involved w/ running the Corps like they were BITD 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Missing my point. Some victims may not feel comfortable calling DCI to report a problem with a DCI corps. They might be less likely to report. That’s why my work place had an outside agency’s number if someone didn’t feel right dealing within the agency. 
And IMO DCI policing it’s own corps is a conflict of interest.

Am I? To clarify…I was referring to the posters here who are calling for the demise of DCI. As for marching members, these are young college age men and women. They are old enough to know and walk away from inappropriate/ inexcusable behavior from staff (stranger danger). If they feel they aren’t being treated properly…leave the situation immediately and seek assistance, legal, if need warrants. But to ride out the season and then months afterward go public…..that’s where I question the accuser. To repeat, I don’t condone the alleged behavior but I do question the reaction here without knowing all the facts…from all sides of the story.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Maybe it doesn’t deserve to be recreated. The fact that this question is even asked is disgusting. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING should ever come before the well-being of a person or group of people, especially a young person who has been sexually assaulted. If DCI can’t lead responsibly, they don’t deserve to be around. Period. 

Having a backup plan to start a new orginzation is the least of my concerns. 

Then you don’t care about all the good this activity does?  Asking for a change in the status quo is disgusting? Just asking.

If you believe in the activity and want to see it continue then you have to take ownership and create a replacement to DCI. If that’s beyond your ability then maybe it’s time to go to DCI directly and ask for answers….otherwise “burn it down” then where are we without a back up plan? 

Edited by Sutasaurus