And the floodgates are opening

22 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

That person leaves tour and reports said incident to the authorities.  Mms are sent home from tour all the time for various reasons.

Have a nice summer everyone. It’s been an interesting discussion but one I’m afraid won’t move the needle as far as DCI is concerned.

Dang ain’t it east to tell other people what they should have done…

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Reread the last twenty pages of this hot mess. I’m not the only poster guilty of telling others what should/should have been done.

Have a great summer whichever way you choose to spend it.

Respectfully,

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

...They are old enough to know and walk away from inappropriate/ inexcusable behavior from staff (stranger danger). If they feel they aren’t being treated properly…leave the situation immediately and seek assistance, legal, if need warrants. But to ride out the season and then months afterward go public…..that’s where I question the accuser...

Do you realize what you just said is a textbook example of "blame the victim?"

• Thanks 6

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

will it be dealt with? Have you rad the young lady from Spirit's timeline of events? 

Spirit of Atlanta 2021 Police Report Update
When I came forward, I wanted to be 100% transparent on the actions and inactions with Spirit of Atlanta. Today, we spoke with the Dora Police Department regarding my assaulter and we have gained more information. I wanted to share with the community so everyone is kept aware and up to speed on what is happening.
On July 25, 2021 the individual who assaulted me was removed from Dora High School and from Spirit of Atlanta, but there is no record of an arrest or report made that day. My parents called Dora Police Department and Walker County Sheriff’s Department January 9th, 2022 and we were advised there were no calls to dispatch nor was a report filed on July 25, 2021. We did not look any further, but with the continued statements by Spirit of Atlanta parents and members that Walker County Sheriff’s Department was seen at the school and they “heard” this individual was arrested, it prompted my parents to call again today, January 13th, 2022. The first call went to the detective’s division of Walker County Sheriff’s Department. Per a female detective on duty, they did receive a call but didn’t provide the date the call came in and did mention the person who called was advised to contact the Dora, Alabama Police Department.. The detective advised my parents that we need to speak with Chief Jared Hall with the Dora, Alabama Police Department. The next call we made shortly after was to the Dora Police Department, and my parents spoke with Chief Hall who stated there is a report on file and it was filed by a Spirit of Atlanta attorney October 29th, 2021. We were never made aware by Spirit of Atlanta that they had reported this. Unfortunately without a subpoena by an attorney, Chief Hall can NOT release it to us. In order to provide full transparency to the marching arts community, here’s the full administrative timeline:
8/19/21 Ethics Report sent via email
8/29/21 First email from EquitAbility Consulting
9/23/21 Update from EquitAbility Consulting which stated : “I have completed my interviews and will be submitting a summary report to DCI in the next one to two weeks. After reviewing the report, DCI or I will be in touch with you to follow up.”
10/19/21 Update from Drum Corps International : “Thank you for your inquiry about the status of this matter.
We want to assure you that DCI and Spirit of Atlanta leadership are carefully reviewing the investigation report prepared by the investigator in this matter. I expect that the review will take several weeks.
When the reviews by DCI and Spirit are concluded, we will provide you with information regarding the findings and outcomes.
Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention and for your patience as we address the important issues that were raised in your complaint.”
10/29/21- Spirit of Atlanta’s attorney filed the police report
12/7/21- Zoom meeting with Spirit of Atlanta
12/8/21- Zoom meeting with Drum Corps International
12/9/21- Email sent to Spirit of Atlanta requesting a copy of all recommendations and police reports.
1/9/22 - Statement of my Spirit of Atlanta 2021 Experience released
1/9/22 - Statement released by Spirit of Atlanta and Drum Corps International
I appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding as more information comes to the surface. I want to make some major points very clear. The Dora, Alabama Police were NOT involved when the assault was happening, nor through any part of the summer. The Police did NOT remove my assaulter from the premises. The Dora, Alabama Police were not even contacted until 3 months later. The Mandatory Reporters on Spirit of Atlanta staff team failed to follow policy, guidelines, and the law. They took no action when I was being assaulted. “According to Alabama Law, any person who knows or has reasonable cause to believe or suspect that a child has been abused or neglected or who observes any child being subjected to conditions or circumstances that would reasonably result in abuse shall be required to report orally, either by telephone or direct communication immediately, followed by a written report, to DHR, law enforcement, or the District Attorney. Mandatory reporters are: Employees of hospitals/clinics/sanitariums Doctors/physicians/surgeons Medical examiners/coroners Dentists Osteopaths Optometrists, chiropractors, podiatrists, physical therapists, nurses Public and private K-12 employees School teachers and officials Peace officers/law enforcement officials, pharmacists Social Workers and mental health professionals Child care workers or employees Employees of public and private institution” - Alabama Department of Child Abuse & Neglect Prevention (https://ctf.alabama.gov/.../Mandatory-Reporting-Brochure...) . They knew this member was dangerous from previous seasons and still allowed him back. They waited 96 days to go to any kind of law enforcement. It’s still just as unacceptable. It should NEVER take that long to do the right thing. I truly question, if it weren’t for the recommendation made, would they have even filed a report to begin with? I appreciate the community's diligence and hard work on accountability. We are truly making an impact. Thank you again for your patience and keep fighting. #DoBetterSOA
Lots of love,
McKenzee Grace

not much urgency there.

What does it say about DCI, SOA and the activity at-large when young adults who are the victims in these situations are the ones being the most transparent and honest?

McKenzee - I can't imagine the mental roller coaster you have been forced to ride. It is not fair and I admire your strength and courage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Reread the last twenty pages of this hot mess. I’m not the only poster guilty of telling others what should/should have been done.

Have a great summer whichever way you choose to spend it.

Respectfully,

Dave

You’re the only one I see telling a VICTIM what they should have done. Having worked with and being friends with two ladies who were victims and seeing what it took for them to heal..(stopping there)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tim K said:

My thoughts on lawyer involvement: when the original accusations were posted, lawyers were probably not yet involved. The victim may have had assistance with writing the complaints which has nothing to do with credibility as much as support and assuring clarity, but I don’t think a lawyer was involved. I think most lawyers would not recommend posting an accusation on Facebook to be picked up by DCP and Reddit as well as other FB durum corps pages and be debated thoroughly by drum corps fans. DA’s find prosecuting cases difficult when the media is involved and social media makes matters worse. Often it is a victim’s lawyer who makes public statements not the actual victim and that’s across the board no matter what the crime. It’s defense lawyers who love the “court of public opinion.

As far as Spirit is concerned, I think their silence is a sign lawyers are involved. That being said, one thing that baffles me a bit is why Spirit as of last night still had its FB page open. Common sense would be to close the page, even if it is temporary.  

Clarification - 

I agree with you w/r/t criminal charges - hard to try a criminal case when public media is analyzing every move.

Civil charges are another matter - example look at Prince (still correct term?) Andrew - all the media piling-on may well lead to an out-of-court settlement.  SoA case - the idea may be to pressure SoA into painful actions that ensure that there is never any more abuse, and to do it before the 2022 season gets underway (potentially cancelling their season).  And it seems that it may be (maybe, not is) working.

100% certain SoA has lawyers involved - Mack stated that SoA lawyers contacted Alabama law enforcement.

I am also 99 & 44/100 %  certain that there is stuff going on under the DCI aegis (Corps and/or DCI headquarters) that we can't see on DCP, reddit, tweeter, et al.  I'm nut sure what it is (or even if it is the morally correct things), but I I am confident that it is happening.  We are also now right in the middle of this.  There are things we don't know that, over time, will become public knowledge.  One month from naw (14 Feb), I predict we will know more and this may shift perception from what we see now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Continental said:

What has happened to you lately?

Other than typing “east” for “easy” in my post? 😫

Nothing to me but as I later posted I know two ladies who were victims. For some reason they felt comfortable enough to talk to me about it (maybe because they knew my wife also). This idea of “oh something happened so quick report it” doesn’t always work. For some it takes a while for various reasons. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, inbetween said:

I have first hand knowledge from crown. Not from the second corps. Only what I was told. The person at crown admitted to it in a conversation in which I was involved.

22 hours ago, inbetween said:

They did it at crown then again at the next corps and high school they worked at. This person simply moved again and is working in another state. 

I’m not sure why first hand knowledge is needed to name the corps if it isn’t needed to accuse them of doing it at that corps.  But perhaps you meant to just say you heard they did it again there.

Are they not still at that next corps?  Are they not still at that high school?  It seems like we should be concerned about their presence there for sure if they are, and maybe even if they are not.  

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The irony of this statement speaks volumes.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1