And the floodgates are opening

26 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

The irony of this statement speaks volumes.....

How is bringing up the fact that not all victims are ready to go to the authorities right away ironic? Same with saying a victim didn’t do the right thing, and then saying what the victim “should have done” is hurtful to victims. I’d rank it up there with telling someone with depression to “just get over it”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Have a nice summer everyone. It’s been an interesting discussion but one I’m afraid won’t move the needle as far as DCI is concerned.

if so, then the written press releases from Corps and DCI that state they promote and maintain a " safe and healthy" environment for marchers and that they " have a zero tolerance " level for abusers in Drum Corps are in reality mere empty and hollow words. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I’m not sure why first hand knowledge is needed to name the corps if it isn’t needed to accuse them of doing it at that corps.  But perhaps you meant to just say you heard they did it again there.

Are they not still at that next corps?  Are they not still at that high school?  It seems like we should be concerned about their presence there for sure if they are, and maybe even if they are not.  

Dear glob, you're one of those. 

• Confused 1

I don't post here, or follow stuff here, much at all anymore.

But from what I've read about these various situations, here and on FB... I'm actually glad I am, at best, minimally involved with drum corps now. 

I hate to say it. And up until not too long ago, never thought I would. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I don't post here, or follow stuff here, much at all anymore.

But from what I've read about these various situations, here and on FB... I'm actually glad I am, at best, minimally involved with drum corps now. 

I hate to say it. And up until not too long ago, never thought I would. 

Same. But I just can’t turn a blind eye anymore.   

• Like 6

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Same. But I just can’t turn a blind eye anymore.   

Yep.

And I hope no one takes my post as self-important... "geez... who cares if you're involved or not? Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Because I know I'm not important. LOL. In the big picture, I'm barely a blip on the radar screen. But just saddened by the current state of the activity. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep.

And I hope no one takes my post as self-important... "geez... who cares if you're involved or not? Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Because I know I'm not important. LOL. In the big picture, I'm barely a blip on the radar screen. But just saddened by the current state of the activity. 

I know they’ll do fine without me.  It’s a personal choice.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How is bringing up the fact that not all victims are ready to go to the authorities right away ironic? Same with saying a victim didn’t do the right thing, and then saying what the victim “should have done” is hurtful to victims. I’d rank it up there with telling someone with depression to “just get over it”.

The handful of people you're responding to would never ask these questions of real victims they were face to face with.  Imagine any of them sitting face to face with the dozens of USA gymnastics survivors who didn't speak up for decades, both minors and over 18, now well into adulthood, and telling them "Well young lady/man, you should have gone to the police or adult supervisor or blah blah blah".  Wouldn't happen because they wouldn't be behind the safety of a keyboard.  Think of that instead of responding to them.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lance said:

The handful of people you're responding to would never ask these questions of real victims they were face to face with.  Imagine any of them sitting face to face with the dozens of USA gymnastics survivors who didn't speak up for decades, both minors and over 18, now well into adulthood, and telling them "Well young lady/man, you should have gone to the police or adult supervisor or blah blah blah".  Wouldn't happen because they wouldn't be behind the safety of a keyboard.  Think of that instead of responding to them.  

Sorry Lance but I think of my friends who also went through it. And I think if I keep quiet it would seem that I condone what they say or at least don’t think this is important. So I squawk knowing full well the only difference between that and yelling at a brick wall is…. With a brick wall I might get an echo.

29 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep.

I sure don’t take it as self-important.  I think it is an honest assessment that likely represents how a lot of valuable DCI supporters have begun to feel.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1