And the floodgates are opening

24 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Agreed that today's statement should have been the first note, but it should have come in November, after the EquitAbility report was given to the DCI Board.  The timing now seems a mea culpa in response to being publicly called out rather than a proactive statement of findings and plan for improvement. 

notice i just said the first statement they should have made. i never put a date on when it should have happened specifically for the reason you mentioned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

you were the voice of DCA, the voice several generations came to know and listen for. you're more important than you give yourself credit for, and the way you were pushed out sucks.

which makes it better when corps keep reaching out to you to record their introductions

Thank you, my friend!!!

It was my decision to retire from working DCA shows (admittedly,  one factor was that I felt the winds of change were swirling behind me, I'll put it that way...LOL)... but it was not  my decision to leave before that year's championship. That decision was made for me.

Oh well. Back to our regularly scheduled topic. 🙂

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

SOA released a statement today also giving some timelines. IMO today's statement should have been the first statement they made. Again, everything they do is reactionary as opposed to grabbing the bull by the balls and being proactive

Just read the latest statement from BOD Chair & Ex Director.  Then there's the numerous comments underneath on their FB.  The SOA family are fighting in real time on social media.  The website administration/staff page has also been wiped clean.  It's a mess & really sad...  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

4 hours ago, NakedEye said:

My initial thought, and I saw this mentioned by someone else also, is I don't see how DCI has any choice but to make World Class 18-22 only. That's largely the case with the upper tier anyway, with just a few younger in the mix. When stuff is being thrown around about illegal interactions between adults/minors (all being members, not staff involvement), there is a very messy situation. The reality is, there may just be a few months separating the individuals involved, and the younger may even be the more mature party, but the legal definition is what it is.

I see.

"DCI - All our victims are at least 18 years old."

That will fix it!

6 hours ago, year1buick said:

The problem is that the assaults and talent night events occurred at all, not in her not escaping them soon enough, FFS.

I agree whole heartedly and I admire the thought you put into your posts. The point I’m trying to make here is that each unfortunate case has it’s own set of circumstances and a blanket “burn down the activity” mindset will only end an activity we all cherish deeply. 

Regarding the SoA case, decisions were made that many here feel did not do enough to punish the organization. The level of punishment is between the organization and DCI, not DCP. Do I think this young lady was treated fairly? Of course not. But it is between her and SoA to come to a mutual settlement….again, not DCP. Do I think said punishment went far enough? It will depend on how true to their word DCI is. How will DCI enforce this probation? Destroying SoA financially will prove nothing and deny prospective members any opportunity.

As for DCI, the only way to get them to pay attention is to present a unified front of DCP posters and others saying this behavior must stop or risk a significant boycott. Demand a WGI style anti harassment/abuse program be established or else. If that doesn’t move the needle, then those of us who believe drum corps should survive need to create an alternative to DCI and present that alternative to the participating organizations. Not an easy task. Better to improve the wheel with direct input to DCI than start from ground level. The infrastructure is in place. What can we as drum corps people do to make it better?

Edited by Sutasaurus

2 minutes ago, scout9193 said:

It does not need to be recreated.  

Agreed. Read my edited response. Thank you for reading my post.

Edited by Sutasaurus