And the floodgates are opening

21 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Am I? To clarify…I was referring to the posters here who are calling for the demise of DCI. As for marching members, these are young college age men and women. They are old enough to know and walk away from inappropriate/ inexcusable behavior from staff (stranger danger). If they feel they aren’t being treated properly…leave the situation immediately and seek assistance, legal, if need warrants. But to ride out the season and then months afterward go public…..that’s where I question the accuser. To repeat, I don’t condone the alleged behavior but I do question the reaction here without knowing all the facts…from all sides of the story.

This is possibly the worst post I've seen in 15+ years on DCP... which says a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

This is possibly the worst post I've seen in 15+ years on DCP... which says a lot. 

Great! Thanks for sharing. Please expound. A one sentence response doesn’t give me a enough feedback. If you read my post in context of the whole discussion it may make more sense to you.

thank you.

Edited by Sutasaurus

23 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

It says you haven’t been around DCP much the last couple of years.  

This is a discussion board and works best if people are free to think aloud here, even if they have thoughts that seem misguided or assumptions that appear incorrect.  That gives us some idea how others see things, at least initially, and the opportunity to provide them with facts or alternative perspectives that cause them to reconsider.  

In the instant case, some excellent points were made in response to Suta’s post that might not have been considered otherwise.  These may help us better understand the circumstances that victims face, which is a good thing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, skevinp said:

This is a discussion board and works best if people are free to think aloud here, even if they have thoughts that seem misguided or assumptions that appear incorrect.  That gives us some idea how others see things, at least initially, and the opportunity to provide them with facts or alternative perspectives that cause them to reconsider.  

In the instant case, some excellent points were made in response to Suta’s post that might not have been considered otherwise.  These may help us better understand the circumstances that victims face, which is a good thing.  

Thanks. Gotta hear and respect all sides of a discussion. 

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It is true I have been around less in the last couple years b/c... there was no drum corps.

Absolutely people should be allowed to post their thoughts! It tells a lot about who they are as a person :) 

15 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

It is true I have been around less in the last couple years b/c... there was no drum corps.

Absolutely people should be allowed to post their thoughts! It tells a lot about who they are as a person 🙂

There was no drum corps? Why? Honestly, why did you tune it out? Just asking, not attacking. This is why DCP is here I think. To exchange viewpoints, not berate them.

How does that speak to who I am as a person?

Edited by Sutasaurus

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

notice i just said the first statement they should have made. i never put a date on when it should have happened specifically for the reason you mentioned

This would not have been a good initial statement either.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scout9193 said:

It does not need to be recreated.  

Thousands of people had a wonderful experience in Drum Corps.  I would even dare say the vast majority! Life-long friendships were made, long-term relationships/marriages occurred, life skills learned, careers skills advanced, learning how to be other focused, etc. etc. etc.  Those are concrete benefits of the activity.

Obviously Drum Corps needs a reformation to better protect its members, but to throw it all away and view it as irredeemable?  I couldn't disagree more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mod hat here....

Please refrain from making personal comments about posters. People are entitled to post their opinions without being attacked or belittled by other posters.

This is an important topic; we want to keep it open and allow for discussion all around the issues. 

• Like 4

Just now, greg_orangecounty said:

Thousands of people had a wonderful experience in Drum Corps.  I would even dare say the vast majority! Life-long friendships were made, long-term relationships/marriages occurred, life skills learned, careers skills advanced, learning how to be other focused, etc. etc. etc.  Those are concrete benefits of the activity.

Obviously Drum Corps needs a reformation to better protect its members, but to throw it all away and view it as irredeemable?  I couldn't disagree more. 

Add to that the victims often don’t want to throw it all away either.  As one example, some of GH’s accusers were very reluctant to come forward because they didn’t want to hurt the Cadets name and all that it means to so many people.

• Like 3