And the floodgates are opening

2 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

Found this comment on the DCI Facebook post announcing Spirit won't be participating:

(posted by a male)

Exhibit A.  Actually, probably Exhibit Z and we should be getting into the Greek alphabet like they do hurricanes. 

2 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

Found this comment on the DCI Facebook post announcing Spirit won't be participating:

(posted by a male)

Not directing this at Soccerguy but responding to his attachment of a FB post.

So when I see a comment like that, I wonder why names aren’t named?  Is it because of inability to prove?  Lack of corroboration?  Was it reported and buried?  This is where the anonymity protects the offenders (and orgs) enabling them to continue being involved in this activity (DCI) and others. And my guess is that was likely not the first time that request was made and just as likely has been made more times since.

My hope is that the enabling and continuance of bad behaviors will be exposed and actions taken by ELIMINATING ANONYMITY! 
Get proof and corroboration and help and name names and orgs so the stopping can begin.

Just now, cixelsyd said:

Remember when people formed drum corps to keep kids OUT of trouble?

I do.  I remember Don Warren going to the juvenile detention center to get color guard members to give them a second chance.  I remember Sie Lurye giving at risk kids jobs in his flat lots in the city and getting them in the drum corps.  I have friends to this day who have told me that those two men saved their lives.  And I’ve heard similar stories  hundreds of times about lesser known corps directors around the Midwest.  They did noble, unselfish work and not only didn’t they not make a dime from it, they usually lost money.  Sie Lurye sold all of his flat lots to keep the drum corps going.

i could go on and on but I’m sure you know the same stories as I do. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Exhibit A.  Actually, probably Exhibit Z and we should be getting into the Greek alphabet like they do hurricanes. 

Icelandic has a crap load of extra letters. To me they all look like “O” with a squiggle added. 

• Haha 1

I think that when corps moved from neighborhoods to DCI and auditioners  could come from anywhere in the world, the talent got better but perhaps the desire to serve kids became subordinate to winning..At least BITD we knew who the scumbags were and where they came from..Jumping from corps to corps for a gold medal is okay if that's what you want, but at what price to your humanity..peace

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bldbrkr said:

Well, there is ð, æ, þ, and ö and yes, I passed my Icelandic language test to get my citizenship there. 

was there twice at nearing the  two extremes of daylight… Early December and over Memorial Day. “Holy crap suns up I overslept.” Nope about 4am and sun is up already.

When I was there for work I was told it takes about 7 years for a non-native to master Icelandic. Used to keep car radio on Islandic music station and learned two things. One sounds like they don’t pause between words. Two they censor NOTHING on the radio 😳

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I do.  I remember Don Warren going to the juvenile detention center to get color guard members to give them a second chance.  I remember Sie Lurye giving at risk kids jobs in his flat lots in the city and getting them in the drum corps.  I have friends to this day who have told me that those two men saved their lives.  And I’ve heard similar stories  hundreds of times about lesser known corps directors around the Midwest.  They did noble, unselfish work and not only didn’t they not make a dime from it, they usually lost money.  Sie Lurye sold all of his flat lots to keep the drum corps going.

i could go on and on but I’m sure you know the same stories as I do. 

IMO part of the problem is that we don't have any Sie Luryes these days.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Not directing this at Soccerguy but responding to his attachment of a FB post.

So when I see a comment like that, I wonder why names aren’t named?  Is it because of inability to prove?  Lack of corroboration?  Was it reported and buried?  This is where the anonymity protects the offenders (and orgs) enabling them to continue being involved in this activity (DCI) and others. And my guess is that was likely not the first time that request was made and just as likely has been made more times since.

My hope is that the enabling and continuance of bad behaviors will be exposed and actions taken by ELIMINATING ANONYMITY! 
Get proof and corroboration and help and name names and orgs so the stopping can begin.

I agree... but I'll just offer that when literally the most powerful people in DCI are involved in this (eg, multiple widely celebrated corps directors), how can any victims possibly think that they will be protected? Junior and mid-level staff can look up in the activity to the very best and see that these actions are tolerated at the top, which means there's no reason for the "next generation" to think that they will face any consequences. 

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 2