And the floodgates are opening

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

was there twice at nearing the  two extremes of daylight… Early December and over Memorial Day. “Holy crap suns up I overslept.” Nope about 4am and sun is up already.

When I was there for work I was told it takes about 7 years for a non-native to master Icelandic. Used to keep car radio on Islandic music station and learned two things. One sounds like they don’t pause between words. Two they censor NOTHING on the radio 😳

I lived there.  Tutor 9 hours a week plus speaking it on the job.  The language is a beast.  But on a related note. while I was there they had a cultural shift.   6 year old kids could walk safely   5 blocks to home in pitch black and alone.  I think it as my 2nd year there they instituted sports safety rules and public safety campaigns.  like don't get in the car with strangers,  it's not ok for old men to sit and watch young girls training, BUT, there was the whole "Free the ******" campaign here everyone fought for the right to be topless.  Talk about awkard coaching teenage girls then!  Yes, swear words are aloud in most countries I've been too as is nudity on TV.  It's intent that matters to them. Puritan values here in the states not there.

Having said all that, I really hope they put some kind of BOD in DCI and in individual corps that have business sense, maybe an HR background... so many resources other than people in the activity.  You need people that aren't entrenched in pageantry to move it ahead. 

Edited by bldbrkr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

I agree... but I'll just offer that when literally the most powerful people in DCI are involved in this (eg, multiple widely celebrated corps directors), how can any victims possibly think that they will be protected? Junior and mid-level staff can look up in the activity to the very best and see that these actions are tolerated at the top, which means there's no reason for the "next generation" to think that they will face any consequences. 

At some point there will be a lawsuit regarding sexual assault / harassment / abuse  in Drum Corps.  Maybe this year, maybe next, maybe further out.  But it will happen unless DCI / Corps surgically remove the cancer that is sexual assault / harassment / abuse.  It will be painful for DCI to do this.  But it has to be done, and soon - or the pain of not removing offenders / enablers is going to exceed the pain of keeping them on.

I have been to depositions.  What will the DCI Executive Director or a Corps Director is asked, under oath (& therefor at risk of Perjury, a felony):

"When did you become aware that Instructor X at Corps A was sexually abusing members?" 

When you become aware that Instructor X at Corps A was sexually abusing members why didn't you remove them from the activity?" 

"Why was Instructor X allowed to teach youth at Corps B when DCI knew there were credible accusations during their tenure at Corps A?"

Discovery will be interesting as well.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

And this is not the 1st SCV director to have issues with performing members.

28 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Background please on a previous issue.

I'm not comfortable naming names if I don't have first-hand knowledge.

I have no first-hand knowledge but have heard rumors (the rumors a lot of us have heard).  Others will know more & may  be able to clarify.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - attributed to both Edmund Burke & John Stuart Mill in 18th-19th Century respectively

I was filling my kiddo (former DCI DM) in on this story, and it struck me hard that we've had, just in the last 6 years: 2017 Cadets / probation, 2018 Pioneer / functionally disbanded, 2019 Oregon Crusaders / disbanded, 2021 Shadow / hiatus, and 2022 Spirit / hiatus due to compliance issues. (I know, that's a euphemistic term.)  

Mike 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I'm not comfortable naming names if I don't have first-hand knowledge.

I have no first-hand knowledge but have heard rumors (the rumors a lot of us have heard).  Others will know more & may  be able to clarify.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - attributed to both Edmund Burke & John Stuart Mill in 18th-19th Century respectively

I think (or at least hope) that we can agree that every corps and DCI itself needs to refocus zero tolerance for bad actors and follow through on these people, as they belatedly seem to have done with SOA.  Having said that however, for our part we should not allow ourselves to devolve into nothing more than a rumor-mongering abyss. It is so easy to post on DCP (anonymously, mind you) that some staff person, director or even member from the Santa Clarita Cadets Regiment may have done this or that.  If we go down that road, it devalues the valid complaints of the actual victims and ends up with about as much credibility as the Salem Witch Trials.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 5

On 1/13/2022 at 9:01 AM, Cainan said:

What is important is HOW it is handled and dealt with by those that are supposed to be in charge

I’d take this further and say that corps are also responsible for setting the expectations up front.  While corps members do sign contracts that include expectations of behavior, that isn’t enough. There should be training for members on appropriate behavior that includes sexual harassment, assault, illegal and criminal behavior, etc.  This could be online training that has to occur before a prospective member gets their finalized contract but should also be followed up by in-person training either in winter camp or very beginning of Spring training.  You are correct that inappropriate and/or illegal acts are going to occur but the corps is responsible for both setting the expectations and taking swift and appropriate action when problems arise, including getting police involved ASAP when an illegal behavior appears to have occurred.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IMO part of the problem is that we don't have any Sie Luryes these days.  

but....

reading Warrens book and some of the stories alumni celebrated.....that #### wouldn't fly today

• Like 2

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I think (or at least hope) that we can agree that every corps and DCI itself needs to refocus zero tolerance for bad actors and follow through on these people, as they belatedly seem to have done with SOA.  Having said that however, for our part we should not allow ourselves to devolve into nothing more than a rumor-mongering abyss. It is so easy to post on DCP (anonymously, mind you) that some staff person, director or even member from the Santa Clarita Cadets Regiment may have done this or that.  If we go down that road, it devalues the valid complaints of the actual victims and ends up with about as much credibility as the Salem Witch Trials.

Salem Witch Trials worked out pretty well for BAC.

• Haha 1