And the floodgates are opening

3 hours ago, craiga said:

Why do some folks on here assume that individual corps DON'T have written sexual harassment policies and procedures,  along with reporting processes,  specific people to whom to report, and sexual harassment training for all members and staff? Look, the SOA situation is horrendous and seems to become more grotesque by the day, but is it fair to paint everyone with the same broad brush?

Five DCI corps (three World Class, two Open) in the last six years have either disbanded / taken years off due to compliance issues, or had George Hopkins as their director.  I can also name another top 12 whose Board Chair and DCI HOF'er during this time who had to resign due to inappropriate conduct, one who has now hired a director accused of covering up for a charged predator, and yet another who has been accused of letting a director skate after being accused of a relationship with a member.  

It may be unfair to assume *every* corps has a hidden issue, but I would submit it's not something to wave away, either.

Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Five DCI corps (three World Class, two Open) in the last six years have either disbanded / taken years off due to compliance issues, or had George Hopkins as their director.  I can also name another top 12 whose Board Chair and DCI HOF'er during this time who had to resign due to inappropriate conduct, one who has now hired a director accused of covering up for a charged predator, and yet another who has been accused of letting a director skate after being accused of a relationship with a member.  

It may be unfair to assume *every* corps has a hidden issue, but I would submit it's not something to wave away, either.

Mike

Mike, I am not suggesting that any organization has a perfect record in this regard; my point was that I do believe that some if not most drum corps do follow best practices in terms of sexual harassment education, reporting, and follow through. I am disheartened to hear people say that because of the revelations,  they would not allow their son or daughter to march drum corps.  To me, that would be like telling them they can't participate in college band due to the Ohio State scandal of a few years ago, or college football due to the Penn State fiasco.  Just my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, craiga said:

Mike, I am not suggesting that any organization has a perfect record in this regard; my point was that I do believe that some if not most drum corps do follow best practices in terms of sexual harassment education, reporting, and follow through. I am disheartened to hear people say that because of the revelations,  they would not allow their son or daughter to march drum corps.  To me, that would be like telling them they can't participate in college band due to the Ohio State scandal of a few years ago, or college football due to the Penn State fiasco.  Just my opinion. 

Other than SoA, there are current discussions of harassment at Raiders, Battalion, & SCV new director from her time at Shadow.

I have not seen any of these organizations, nor DCI reply.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, craiga said:

Why do some folks on here assume that individual corps DON'T have written sexual harassment policies and procedures,  along with reporting processes,  specific people to whom to report, and sexual harassment training for all members and staff? Look, the SOA situation is horrendous and seems to become more grotesque by the day, but is it fair to paint everyone with the same broad brush?

having them and actually following up on it are two different things

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

having them and actually following up on it are two different things

That's  true, but having the protocols in place is at the very least a start, and something that didn't exist at all a decade ago.

11 minutes ago, craiga said:

That's  true, but having the protocols in place is at the very least a start, and something that didn't exist at all a decade ago.

That's also true, and I totally don't dispute that.  But this is also a great opportunity for everyone to recognize that the problem exists, review what you have in place, fix what you can and make sure everyone is on high alert, because it's not an isolated-issue-for-future-vigilance, as it was presented to corps back in 2017-18.  And while I freely admit that some corps are farther ahead than others in preparation, that doesn't mean there's not something there for each group that has yet to be reported.

Mike

• Like 2

Having protocols without enforcement is perfunctory.  Not just perfunctory, but intentionally perfunctory.  

My only question is will this last round of survivors speaking up be enough to get corps to actually choose to put real protections in place for members.  I guess we'll see.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

Having protocols without enforcement is perfunctory.  Not just perfunctory, but intentionally perfunctory.  

My only question is will this last round of survivors speaking up be enough to get corps to actually choose to put real protections in place for members.  

No! They’re more interested in protecting their livelihoods first. Members come and go yearly. 

17 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

No! They’re more interested in protecting their livelihoods first. Members come and go yearly. 

Wouldn’t it be in the job security / financial interest of those in the Drum Corps business to weed out the predators who are a threat to the existence of the Drum  Corps business?

30 minutes ago, Lance said:

My only question is will this last round of survivors speaking up be enough to get corps to actually choose to put real protections in place for members.  I guess we'll see.  

I’ve been watching “Cheer” on @Jurassic Lancerrecommendation.  The enforcement was sorely lacking in cheerleading.  The mom of the twins called the FBI though and they got it done.   And Jerry Harris is in jail in Chicago where he belongs. 

• Like 1