And the floodgates are opening

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there needs to be one place to go that sits outside of DCI's office.

Honestly just let WGI manage that office since they are already so far ahead.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slingerland said:

This is not accurate. DCI doesn't automatically receive whistleblower reports that are filed with the individual organizations (there is a separate line to DCI that can be used, but just like the corps don't get those reports, DCI doesn't get the corps' reports). 

We can argue that the policy needs changing (I would agree that it does), but the unbelievable mishandling of the SOA situation from this past summer lies squarely in SOA's laps. They failed their own members. 

Fair. Let me phrase it another way.

Who oversees whistleblower reports to the individual corps? Who determines legality at the corps level? Who determines legality at DCI? This is a black box.

Who oversees whistleblower reports to DCI? EquitAbility is contracted for investigations, but I don’t believe they audit the whistleblower complaints. Who does? Does that happen now? Should it?

Is anybody happy with how either of these reporting mechanisms are working? Are they serving the members well? Are they serving the activity well? If not, how is change brought about?

Recently, a student reported a very serious situation to DCI and WGI. 4 months into the investigation, an anonymous Instagram account reached out, asking specific questions about the situation, a situation only a few people were made aware of. There’s major mishandling of these incidents and they get bungled at every step, it seems.

My point is, the mechanisms in place are manned by woefully untrained, probably well-meaning people, who have no idea how to actually handle these complaints. We’ve only heard about some of the mishandling. I’d expect there’s a LOT more. Btw, WGI asked this student to keep the situation “hush-hush” after determine the offending instructor (active in BOA, DCI, WGI, and multiple Winterguard circuits) was egregiously wrong,  which is victim silencing, a HUGE no-no. That person slithered under their rock and might still be consulting programs - who knows?

The floodgates have been open for a while now. The 2 sandbags are not enough. We need more sandbags.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i have said it before, and i will say it again:

the only way to truy affect any change whatsoever is give $0 to DCI or its corps in any way...tickets, donations, souvies, flo, media...you name it.

i actually did that for a few years after amps were made legal...disbanded a Friends group i was in, everything.

and yet starting in 08, i was back.

So it did not work for you... and that proves it is the only way?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

Fair. Let me phrase it another way.

Who oversees whistleblower reports to the individual corps? Who determines legality at the corps level? Who determines legality at DCI? This is a black box.

Who oversees whistleblower reports to DCI? EquitAbility is contracted for investigations, but I don’t believe they audit the whistleblower complaints. Who does? Does that happen now? Should it?

Is anybody happy with how either of these reporting mechanisms are working? Are they serving the members well? Are they serving the activity well? If not, how is change brought about?

Recently, a student reported a very serious situation to DCI and WGI. 4 months into the investigation, an anonymous Instagram account reached out, asking specific questions about the situation, a situation only a few people were made aware of. There’s major mishandling of these incidents and they get bungled at every step, it seems.

My point is, the mechanisms in place are manned by woefully untrained, probably well-meaning people, who have no idea how to actually handle these complaints. We’ve only heard about some of the mishandling. I’d expect there’s a LOT more. Btw, WGI asked this student to keep the situation “hush-hush” after determine the offending instructor (active in BOA, DCI, WGI, and multiple Winterguard circuits) was egregiously wrong,  which is victim silencing, a HUGE no-no. That person slithered under their rock and might still be consulting programs - who knows?

The floodgates have been open for a while now. The 2 sandbags are not enough. We need more sandbags.

Edit after reading Terri’s post below. This is for (non-physical) harassment.

I’ve posted before but bares repeating. At my old DoD job..

1st report to supervisor, if not comfortable with that (or boss is problem) then

2nd report to person in agency, if that’s a problem then

3rd report to outside agency that handles all DoD cases

For here

1st corps

2nd DCI

3rd group outside of DCI

Without that outside agency there will be no trust and no chance to help correct

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

1st report to supervisor, if not comfortable with that (or boss is problem) then

For here

1st corps

2nd DCI

3rd group outside of DCI

Without that outside agency there will be no trust and no chance to help correct

I’d call 911 if I was sexually assaulted while on tour with a drum corps. But I’m not telling anyone else what to do.

There was a member on drumcorps Reddit a couple of years ago who said that when she called DCI about being sexually assaulted, the woman on the other end told her she’d have to find a way “to get over it”.  Very helpful.  Getting right down to it.  🙄

I have ZERO confidence in them doing the right thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I’d call 911 if I was sexually assaulted while on tour with a drum corps. But I’m not telling anyone else what to do.

There was a member on drumcorps Reddit a couple of years ago who said that when she called DCI about being sexually assaulted, the woman on the other end told her she’d have to find a way “to get over it”.  Very helpful.  Getting right down to it.  🙄

I have ZERO confidence in them doing the right thing. 

Agree on calling 911 for assault. I should have been clearer that I was referring to (non-physical) harassment. 
I have no confidence in any group policing themselves like DCI is doing. Especially since hitting a corps in the $$$$ will hurt DCI in the $$$$.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For here

1st corps

2nd DCI

3rd group outside of DCI

I worked under same system in DoD.  

The difference is that in DoD there is teeth to the policy, and the organization is more than willing to use the teeth when needed.

It has been proven time and again that DCI/Corps cannot, or do not want, to discipline themselves.  It only happened with Cadets, Pioneer, Crossmen, & Troopers when news media picked up the story.  With SoA nothing happened until a brave victim came forward (after hiring a law firm).  All of this happened in public.  And the publicity debacle is what forced action, not DCI/Corps doing the right thing for the right reasons.

There are current allegations against Raiders, Battalion, & SCV new director.  What is DCI doing about this?  It would appear NOTHING.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I worked under same system in DoD.  

The difference is that in DoD there is teeth to the policy, and the organization is more than willing to use the teeth when needed.

Navy started being serious when Operation Tailhook scandal hit the press (people can google that as 🤮). Have seen people in my building being shown the door from not complying.
DCI takes hits, says what sounds good but really SSDD (same “stuff”, different day).

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Navy started being serious when Operation Tailhook scandal hit the press (people can google that as 🤮). Have seen people in my building being shown the door from not complying.
DCI takes hits, says what sounds good but really SSDD (same “stuff”, different day).

IIRC what  got the Tailhook scandal rolling was a 60-minutes piece; they had the female helo pilot who was assaulted, etc.

And I suspect you, having lived it as well, know how big a deal it turned out to be (in USAF the same reforms happened; but the spotlight was on the Navy).   People got fired; careers were ended; people lost their livelihood - All for good reason.

Where I get confused is whether:

1  DCI/Corps don't really care that abuse is happening?, or 

2  DCI/Corps want to stop the abuse but don't know how to do it?, or

3  DCI/Corps want to stop the abuse but don't have the courage to do it?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 5:35 PM, Sideways said:

This one needs more context. DCI is an intense activity and sometimes a younger person needs the proverbial swift kick to find motivation.  Definitely not saying that is the case here but have seen things like this before.  

I don't know this particular marcher, but I was aware of the concussion issues and the pseudo-family culture of Shadow DBC.

Edited by BaritoneFan17
Edited for acronym clarity.