And the floodgates are opening

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Can’t watch anything Cosby is on or some other stars that I’ve found over the years were racist or did sick things.

As for tv, movies, sports or DCI as a whole. If eyes were closed or enabling occurred, could care less if they take a huge hit. Especially DCI which promotes itself as a YOUTH activity. And one that says it’s taken steps to protect members yet “probation” is the strongest thing they will do. Bottom line: this CANNOT continue

Unfortunately, misconduct will continue. What has to change are the consequences for misconduct. I’m for dropping the hammer on offending individuals AND their corps administration with a rifle shot approach… not just putting a brick of C4 in Indy and blowing up the whole activity. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Curiosity: If the precious and untouchable Blue Devils had something like this occur with a member and/or staff member, etc.; how many of you would look the other way? I ask this because back in 2000 a member was kicked out of that corps, before finals, and snuck back to perform with the corps on finals night. A lot of people seemed to find that funny and actually supported that individual for what he did because he was a Blue Devil. 

Did anyone say they thought it was funny and supported it “because he was a Blue Devil”?     I think it is an interesting story about how badly drum corps people want to march.  

Also, the Blue Devils themselves didn’t look the other way, they kicked him out.  People that disagreed with that decision were critical of BD staff.  People who agreed with it were critical of a BD member.    So I don’t see how that makes them “untouchable”.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Unfortunately, misconduct will continue. What has to change are the consequences for misconduct. I’m for dropping the hammer on offending individuals AND their corps administration with a rifle shot approach… not just putting a brick of C4 in Indy and blowing up the whole activity. 

And if DCI is unable or unwilling to drop that hammer? The “probation” of SoA with absolutely nothing said about what would happen if this occurs again killed it for me. Just sounds like “we’re watching so don’t do it again… please”. And thinking “because if it happens again… ahhh…. Oh #### yeah then what”.

31 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Can’t watch anything Cosby is on or some other stars that I’ve found over the years were racist or did sick things.

As for tv, movies, sports or DCI as a whole. If eyes were closed or enabling occurred, could care less if they take a huge hit. Especially DCI which promotes itself as a YOUTH activity. And one that says it’s taken steps to protect members yet “probation” is the strongest thing they will do. Bottom line: this CANNOT continue

I can't watch it either.

I do feel sorry for the actors who don't get any money from syndication fees because no channel will show Cosby reruns.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have said previously that heads SHOULD roll over the SOA situation, and any other similar situations.   But, I just don't understand the "burn it all down" mentality.  I am certain there is little chance that all the other corps have perfect histories in this regard, but why do some folks on here assume that all drum corps members and staff are criminally negligent and all corps do nothing when a problem arises?  Look, everyone is free to support the activity or not, but it almost feels as if there are a few who are just cheering for the demise of DCI. AMPS didn't do it, props didn't do it,  so now let's  hope sexual harassment does.   Jeez!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Curiosity: If the precious and untouchable Blue Devils had something like this occur with a member and/or staff member, etc.; how many of you would look the other way? I ask this because back in 2000 a member was kicked out of that corps, before finals, and snuck back to perform with the corps on finals night. A lot of people seemed to find that funny and actually supported that individual for what he did because he was a Blue Devil. 

Blue Devils have a pretty comprehensive youth protection policy and "safe space" policy, so I would hope that their response would be appropriate in relation to whatever has been reported.  Likewise, I would hope that the public reaction would be appropriate in the event that they mishandled whatever was reported to them.

I wouldn't put the 2000 incident on the same level as sexual abuse.  I was in the stadium that night, and most folks assumed that he was late getting to the field because of an equipment issue or some legitimate problem.  Very few people knew he had been kicked out the night before.  It wasn't until weeks/months later that the real story started to trickle out via RAMD and other means.  Interesting enough, I believe he was met by security and law enforcement after exiting the field after the show... which would hopefully preface how BD would react in a more serious situation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, craiga said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have said previously that heads SHOULD roll over the SOA situation, and any other similar situations.   But, I just don't understand the "burn it all down" mentality.  I am certain there is little chance that all the other corps have perfect histories in this regard, but why do some folks on here assume that all drum corps members and staff are criminally negligent and all corps do nothing when a problem arises?  Look, everyone is free to support the activity or not, but it almost feels as if there are a few who are just cheering for the demise of DCI. AMPS didn't do it, props didn't do it,  so now let's  hope sexual harassment does.   Jeez!

I also don’t get the “burn it down” perspective.  We have complained about the rise of cancel culture in society lately,  and I see “burn it down” as exactly that.  It is worth the effort to fix it rather than not.  The EASY solution is to burn it down.  I worked my tail off as I’m sure most on DCP have for their corps, I’ll be dxxxxd if I’d agree to “burning it all down” and see it all that effort walked away from.  These discussion cannot and should not ever stop.  If it stops, all the bad stuff continues.  Solutions must be found.  Pressure to all orgs, DCI as an org included must be exerted and amplified.  Now there’s an amplification people can agree on.

Do the hard work of fixing the mess,  If you love the activity as you say.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Do the hard work of fixing the mess,  If you love the activity as you say.

Serious question: what can the fans do? Especially when there is such pushback from corps “supporters” who literally go after anyone who reports or agrees with the reporter. (Thinking of SoA FB comments)

I’d say clean out DCI “leaders” and put in people who do not have conflict of interest when punishing corps. CoI is DCI hurt $$$ when they punish corps. And will any corps leader push for a hard penalty without thinking “if my corps is next will payback be a b-word”. No wonder “punishment” is probation 

Edited by JimF-LowBari