And the floodgates are opening

16 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

Not true - this individual still judges high school marching band competitions (as recently as 2021).  Still goes to drum corps shows, as well.  

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wow.  I don’t live up there anymore but I had no idea when I did.  Wow again. 

I didn't know that.

Thank you for the update.

38 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not one survivor will speak publicly about this.  I understand why considering what has happened to survivors who have come forward in the past.  The ostracism is soul-crushing.  It is frustrating, though, considering the horror stories heard by just about everyone. 

Yes - the ostracism is bad enough when a member/victim is in a perennially13th or lower placed Corps.  I can only imagine what it would be like for a member/victim of two multi-year champions & perennial contenders came forward.  Granted, that happened w/ Cadets, but there were so many victims, plus an investigative reporter & a district attorney involved that is blunted some of the victim-shaming.  And even then there were attempts at it.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english & speling
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes - the ostracism is bad enough when a member/victim is in a perennially13th or lower placed Corps.  I can only imagine what it would be like for a member/victim of two multi-year champions & perennial contenders came forward.  Granted, that happened w/ Cadets, but there were so many victims, plus an investigative reporter & a district attorney involved that is blunted some of the victim-shaming.  And even then there were attempts at it.

Safety in numbers.  If a group of survivors came together like the Cadets women, there wouldn’t be as much of a feeling of isolation. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Safety in numbers.  If a group of survivors came together like the Cadets women, there wouldn’t be as much of a feeling of isolation. 

I agree - but do individual victims know how to contact other victims?  We are talking a period of 30+ years and (at least) 2 Corps.  There would need to be someone like Tricia Nadolny to help connect the dots.  And I know she tried but evidently there wasn’t enough material to publish.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I agree - but do individual victims know how to contact other victims?  We are talking a period of 30+ years and (at least) 2 Corps.  There would need to be someone like Tricia Nadolny to help connect the dots.  And I know she tried but evidently there wasn’t enough material to publish.   

She’s covering abuse in cheerleading with Marisa Kwiatkowski at USA Today now. I would think a much larger issue due to sheer numbers.   

• Like 2

Just read a local story of a woman who does in home health care. She knew kids in one home she visited were being abused (no details given) but said nothing. As she is a mandated reporter, charges were filed against her. 
That story needs to go to DCI, the corps with a three word message “don’t #### around”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just read a local story of a woman who does in home health care. She knew kids in one home she visited were being abused (no details given) but said nothing. As she is a mandated reporter, charges were filed against her. 
That story needs to go to DCI, the corps with a three word message “don’t #### around”.

Every public educator (not sure about private schools) in my state is subject to the same.  Failure to report is a crime.  Again, it's not just about training, it's about accountability to act.  The extent of the reporter's responsibility is to, you know, report.  From there, experts in various field regarding abuse take over.  It's actually a huge relief to know that my "personal judgment" or "intuition" or whatever other things people who fail to act use as an excuse needs to be excluded from the process completely.  Notice how blaming the victim for not speaking up has absolutely nothing to do with it?  Yep, that's because it's irrelevant and disgusting. 

• Like 1

DCAF interview dropped today anywhere you get your podcasts. lotta good info on there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCAF interview dropped today anywhere you get your podcasts. lotta good info on there

I didn’t even know DCAF was back! I see they dropped an episode on January 1.