And the floodgates are opening

I have not logged in to DCP in a while, and tonight I see this thread and I am extremely somber and depressed about the current state. This might just be the final nail in the coffin. I can't imagine a world without Drum Corps.  I marched for many years in the '70's and never saw any indication of anything inappropriate, but I'm sure there were situations that occurred. Has DCI addressed these accusations? Have they released a statement?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TenHut said:

I have not logged in to DCP in a while, and tonight I see this thread and I am extremely somber and depressed about the current state. This might just be the final nail in the coffin. I can't imagine a world without Drum Corps.  I marched for many years in the '70's and never saw any indication of anything inappropriate, but I'm sure there were situations that occurred. Has DCI addressed these accusations? Have they released a statement?

Statement for Spirit of ATL? Yes:  https://www.dci.org/news/dci-statement-january-9-2022

Additional news release:  https://www.dci.org/news/spirit-of-atlanta-withdraws-from-2022-dci-tour

5 hours ago, TenHut said:

Sad that this is what made me log back in too.

Is DCI run by DCI or by the Corps (Directors)?

The problems are with the individual corps. Does the DCI organization have any control over the individual corps? If not, why ask for anyone's resignation from DCI? I think it's really to late and this will fester in the next month. I was getting new eyeglasses the other day and the woman who waited on me has a son auditioning for a top 5 corps and she knows all about this. People are talking and it does not look well.

13 hours ago, Sideways said:

This one needs more context. DCI is an intense activity and sometimes a younger person needs the proverbial swift kick to find motivation.

You think threatening activity-wide blackballing is an appropriate motivational tactic for a youth activity?

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Is DCI run by DCI or by the Corps (Directors)?

The problems are with the individual corps. Does the DCI organization have any control over the individual corps? 

Exactly how DCI and member corps have played this game for decades.  And they're obviously trying to continue now.  DCI's default has been to say it's an individual corps problem.  Meanwhile, DCI has indeed put out "policies" that apply to all corps, but those policies are intentionally toothless and DCI avoids responsibility by saying it's up to individual corps to enforce those policies. 

One giant merry-go-round of avoiding accountability, and it works.  Why would DCI or individual corps need to change if it works so well?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lance said:

Exactly how DCI and member corps have played this game for decades.  And they're obviously trying to continue now.  DCI's default has been to say it's an individual corps problem.  Meanwhile, DCI has indeed put out "policies" that apply to all corps, but those policies are intentionally toothless and DCI avoids responsibility by saying it's up to individual corps to enforce those policies. 

One giant merry-go-round of avoiding accountability, and it works.  Why would DCI or individual corps need to change if it works so well?

I have said before & it (IMO) bears repeating - DCI needs to reorganize itself to have a strong Executive Director (ED), similar to the NFL model. 

The NFL ED (Goodell) is empowered by the team owners to deal with stuff that requires a consistent response that the individual owners don't want to individually deal with.  Examples would be domestic abuse by players, off-field behavior, traumatic brain injury protocols, etc.  

As far as a DCI ED would be concerned, it has to be someone who is empowered by the Corps and is also willing to make hard, unpopular decisions.  How much better would it have been if, mid-fall 2021 after investigation was complete, if DCI had shut down SoA for 2022, & thus freed up potential 2022 members to find other Corps at the beginning of audition season rather than the scramble we are now seeing (not to mention the unfolding PR disaster)?  I don't know if the current DCI ED has the personality to fill the revised 'strong-ED' paradigm.  This is not a slam on him, it is just that some people have personalities better suited to being an unpopular disciplinarian. 

The current setup also allows for DCI to receive all the whistleblower complaints.  Let that sink in for just a second....

Everything that gets reported goes through DCI.  It is in THIS respect that they maintain their control.  They know who's doing what, but do not identify as the NGB (National Governing Body).

You think they want that paradigm to shift?  They're going to hold on to that tooth and nail (otherwise, they'd be an NGB).

We're only hearing of the ones where the victims stood up and said, "DCI did nothing".  What about the other complaints?  Is DCI required to be audited by any federal agencies to prove they are handling whistleblower complaints correctly?  Have any whistleblower complaints led to no public action, but private decisions?

If I were a journalist, I know where I'd keep my microscope trained.

Edited by NewToPosting
Fixed grammar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1