And the floodgates are opening

I have heard for many years, from many sources that DCI IS the corps. I didn't really think about it when I marched but I was just a dumb kid who hit stuff repeatedly with sticks. NOW I get it. It's more symbiotic than than I ever thought.

But doesn't the concept of "DCI is the corps" then actually give DCI a level of control that they have but have been simply hesitant to express effectively? DCI controls the tour, books and manages the events, helps arrange housing. Without DCI the corps would have no way to generate the revenue needed to survive. 

My opinion (and this is the best I can mister after teaching 12 hours to a group of 23 managers who I can only describe as being at "the snozzberries taste like snozzberries" level in regards to skill set,) is that the pressure mostly needs to be directed at DCI to step up and control this ####. The member corps can't survive without DCI. Put the pressure on them and the corps have to follow. 

Sorry if this makes no sense. Ill come back and edit later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

They don’t want that.  I’ve been around too long and know where all the bodies are buried. 😂 

Time for an exhumation.  The cancer of member abuse will never go away unless a complete and permanent removal of the offenders, dead or alive, whether they are a DCI HOF-member or assistant potato peeler on the food truck are permanently banned from the activity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

The list of shady characters involved in this activity dates back 50 years. The list of names would not be surprising to some and would be shocking to others. The level of arrogance increases with every new pageantry leach carving out a livelihood. 

Well, if they can't carve out a livelihood in pageantry, around here (coastal Virginia) there are plenty of job opportunities for fast-food workers.  Unfortunately, that could provide them with a new group of potential victims.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Punct.u.action
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

But doesn't the concept of "DCI is the corps" then actually give DCI a level of control that they have but have been simply hesitant to express effectively? DCI controls the tour, books and manages the events, helps arrange housing. Without DCI the corps would have no way to generate the revenue needed to survive. 

Kind of, but not really.  Dan as ED has exactly as much control as the Board of Directors authorizes him to have.  The Board, of course, is made up of several corps directors, as well as a few non-corps members.  That always has been, still is, and always will be the rub.  After the Cadets scandal, they authorized Dan to use much more authority to compel compliance in dealing with member health and safety issues. In other areas, he (and DCI The Office) still has no to little scope in which to act.  

For the most part, the Board (and by extension the corps, who make up the membership) are content for DCI to act as "the activity" for branding purposes, while as previously mentioned they're just the show promoter and booking agency when push comes to shove.  

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I have heard for many years, from many sources that DCI IS the corps. I didn't really think about it when I marched but I was just a dumb kid who hit stuff repeatedly with sticks. NOW I get it. It's more symbiotic than than I ever thought.

My opinion (and this is the best I can mister after teaching 12 hours to a group of 23 managers who I can only describe as being at "the snozzberries taste like snozzberries" level in regards to skill set,) is that the pressure mostly needs to be directed at DCI to step up and control this ####. The member corps can't survive without DCI. Put the pressure on them and the corps have to follow. 

Sorry if this makes no sense. Ill come back and edit later.

DCI is the corps is a way to avoid having any one person with too much power. and right now, what they need is a person with power. Dan has a fancy title, but he does the boards bidding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Time for an exhumation.  The cancer of member abuse will never go away unless a complete and permanent removal of the offenders, dead or alive, whether they are a DCI HOF-member or assistant potato peeler on the food truck are permanently banned from the activity.

the problem is getting people to come forward. several names have been mentioned here over the years, but they get removed because no formal allegations were made. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There is certainly a number of MeToo stories with a happy ending over the last 50 years. Until the head is cutoff starting at the top, don’t expect any major changes to how these issues are handled by DCI or its member organizations. They simply don’t care, just upset that they got caught. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, inbetween said:

I'm waiting on some stuff from Crown to pop up. A few years ago it was pretty bad there as well. 

It would be a punch to the gut to learn the home corps is part of this too…but if it happened, I hope it all comes to light. 

I want every single person involved in the act and/or the cover up to be permanently banned from the activity. I don’t care how big the name. This **** is NOT ok and it needs to stop YESTERDAY or the activity we all love will die a painful death. 

• Like 1