And the floodgates are opening

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So we are actually hearing about abuse allegations? Any info on how USOC is going to investigate or handle it? 

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This isn’t exactly news.  Larry Nasser was the physician of the US women’s gymnastics team.  Sexual assault has been happening for a long time in that venue.

This is a new scandal with allegations about the snowboarding coach Peter Foley.  It's been turned over to the US Center for Safe Sports.  Maybe they should get MAAIN involved? :whistle: 

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/33267925/us-ski-snowboard-investigating-sexual-misconduct-racism-allegations

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/11/sports/olympics/peter-foley-snowboarding-coach-accusations.html

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

2 hours ago, craiga said:

So, there have just been some allegations of sexual abuse/harassment by one of the US Olympic team coaches.   That's it!  I am done. Time to burn it down. I will never watch the Olympics again.  They have not learned anything.   Time to ban all Olympics.   Actually, we should  ban all sports.  Come to think of it, we should just ban all college kids. That would solve it....when will DCI... I mean USOC...take action???!!!!!!  

Plenty of good reasons to hope for the demise of the Olympics and USOC

• Like 3

On 2/10/2022 at 5:21 AM, keystone3ply said:

Are you kidding me?  "Game Day Live" @Disney World this weekend?  A competition for HS Pep Bands based on "band chant", "situational sideline", "crowd leading", & "fight song"?  Is this really happening?  As a director, this is just a 'head scratcher".  I had no idea this was a thing. 😳🙄 

https://www.varsity.com/performing-arts/pep-band/ 

IHS Band; these guys were the "National Champs" last year:

https://www.independenceband.org/game-day-live-2021-national-champs/

this is weird 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

This isn’t exactly news.  Larry Nasser was the physician of the US women’s gymnastics team.  Sexual assault has been happening for a long time in that venue.

Oh I know… I was being sarcastic about comparing DCI hush hush to abuse that was out in the open and dealt with in the courts.

edit: posted this before I read the Pete Foley allegations 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

This is a new scandal with allegations about the snowboarding coach Peter Foley.  It's been turned over to the US Center for Safe Sports.  Maybe they should get MAAIN involved? :whistle: 

Wait… are you saying it has been turned over to an OUTSIDE agency. Wth are they thinking… (sarcasm). They should investigate themselves like Penn State did with Sandusky (oh wait… that blew up later). 
What are DCIs policies and procedures for investigating when they receive an abuse claim in one of the corps? At this point I really don’t know. Just thinking of the Spirit example of “punishment” which was “we’ll keep an eye on you so please don’t do anything wrong again” probation. (Supposedly Spirit took a year off on their own choice)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:43 PM, KVG_DC said:

Schools have state circuits and/or regional circuts to choose from.  There's BOA for those looking for more.  Yes these are fall circuits so maybe something in the Summer but most school districts aren't really doing much to support summer music programs, that's where the band booster fundraising really makes it happen in a lot of places.  So the capacity to travel and work on a competitive show in the summer are diminished (probably a large part of the demise of the old MBA summer championships). 

There is still US Bands as well, now run by the Blue Devils organization, plus Youth In Music up in Minnesota, run by Brent Turner of Minnesota Brass. There may be other scholastic regional circuits I'm not aware of for those groups who want to do more than just their state events but who don't want to commit to a major expenditure such as a BOA regional or Grand Nationals.

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/33267925/us-ski-snowboard-investigating-sexual-misconduct-racism-allegations

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/11/sports/olympics/peter-foley-snowboarding-coach-accusations.html

You almost had me until you dragged MAASIN into this. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, craiga said:

So, there have just been some allegations of sexual abuse/harassment by one of the US Olympic team coaches.   That's it!  I am done. Time to burn it down. I will never watch the Olympics again.  They have not learned anything.   Time to ban all Olympics.   Actually, we should  ban all sports.  Come to think of it, we should just ban all college kids. That would solve it....when will DCI... I mean USOC...take action???!!!!!!  

I wish there was a disgust reaction icon. Sexual abuse / harassment  by a coach is no laughing matter.

• Like 6