Open letter to ALL CORPS DIRECTORS

58 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree, but DCI would need legal counsel, and easily could be called in as a witness.   And there could be discovery as well, which would have its own expense.  

It could easily turn into a ‘the process is the punishment’ situation.  Even if DCI isn’t at fault they could easily rack up thousands in legal fees.  

Absolutely true. ON the upside, there are two attorneys on the Board, including the Chair, so at least they'd have access to some free legal advice to start. 

Edited by Slingerland

I think many presumptions are being made, with almost none of within the realm of coming to fruition. Where I believe reality sits at the moment:

• It's going to take time, y'all, and we're probably going to see other issues and problems arise before we get close to getting it right. There are a lot of outstanding, responsible educators and volunteers in this activity who are incredibly concerned about these issues and working hard to make the activity safer for everyone involved. They are all probably just as frustrated as we are. 
  • I doubt any civil or legal action will be taken from any of these incidents. That doesn't mean that the parties involved aren't finding solutions, but I don't know that lawsuits benefit anyone. They can become quite expensive and sometimes counterproductive on the plaintiff's side. 
  • The mainstream media has enough on their plate to deal with stories based on hearsay. Usually, media outlets do not touch a story like this until it's in the court's hands or there is an official criminal investigation. 
Edited by Newseditor44

44 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I think many presumptions are being made, with almost none of within the realm of coming to fruition. Where I believe reality sits at the moment:

• It's going to take time, y'all, and we're probably going to see other issues and problems arise before we get close to getting it right. There are a lot of outstanding, responsible educators and volunteers in this activity who are incredibly concerned about these issues and working hard to make the activity safer for everyone involved. They are all probably just as frustrated as we are. 
  • I doubt any civil or legal action will be taken from any of these incidents. That doesn't mean that the parties involved aren't finding solutions, but I don't know that lawsuits benefit anyone. They can become quite expensive and sometimes counterproductive on the plaintiff's side. 
  • The mainstream media has enough on their plate to deal with stories based on hearsay. Usually, media outlets do not touch a story like this until it's in the court's hands or there is an official criminal investigation. 

How many more times do you think the activity will need to go through a situation like this before it is finally fixed?

7 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

As Illianalancercontra mentions, this training is in response to the issues and lawsuits BSA faced/faces.  Nothing wrong with learning from those who’ve been through the same problems and using the tools that they have established.  Simply having the training won’t solve all the problems but the training combined with procedures and policies that are followed and enforced will significantly reduce the number of future issues.  The corps need to foster an environment of prevention first and then being swift and thorough to take appropriate actions when issues do arise.

exactly. we all now drum corps doesn't do well learning from past mistakes

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree, but DCI would need legal counsel, and easily could be called in as a witness.   And there could be discovery as well, which would have its own expense.  

It could easily turn into a ‘the process is the punishment’ situation.  Even if DCI isn’t at fault they could easily rack up thousands in legal fees.  

oh man can you imagine discovery?

my hope is somewhere in Indy and at various corps directors offices/residences around the country, there are a whole lot of sphincters tightening up, and finally starting to get serious about this

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

DCI is running out of time, because honestly, as connected as kids are now, i think them not showing up to audition may be the warning signal they need

That episode of Cheer should be more than enough of a wake up call…yuck.

• Thanks 1

In a sense DCI should be thankful they are such a niche activity that there has already not been greater exposure.

4 minutes ago, Sideways said:

That episode of Cheer should be more than enough of a wake up call…yuck.

Especially with how Jerry Harris had been hyped all season one and the prior episodes of season two. There is definitely a lesson there.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

Especially with how Jerry Harris had been hyped all season one and the prior episodes of season two. There is definitely a lesson there.

I don’t believe for one hot minute that they didn’t know.  Everyone acting so shocked and clutching their pearls. Just like people acting like they didn’t know what was going on in Allentown.  Yeah.  Sure.  Right.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 2