Jump to content

Open letter to ALL CORPS DIRECTORS


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And just to be clear my thought was age is no indicator of maturity. SoA incident great example as member blowing the whistle just out(?) of high school if I read right. And accused is in age out year(?).

Which of course has nothing to do with legal definitions.

My suggestioN has nothing to do with maturity, and everything to do with legalities. It’s blatantly clear that the corps have failed at managing these issues and created more liability for the activity and themselves. It’s only a matter of time before law enforcement gets involved, and then that scandals happens DCI will be forced to fold. If that happens it will impact the entire marching arts activity, and be extremely difficult to recover. Imagine the headlines - teacher accused of sexually assaulting 16 year old for months on band tour. The activity would never recover from that.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

My suggestioN has nothing to do with maturity, and everything to do with legalities. It’s blatantly clear that the corps have failed at managing these issues and created more liability for the activity and themselves. It’s only a matter of time before law enforcement gets involved, and then that scandals happens DCI will be forced to fold. If that happens it will impact the entire marching arts activity, and be extremely difficult to recover. Imagine the headlines - teacher accused of sexually assaulting 16 year old for months on band tour. The activity would never recover from that.  

Understood your point on legality concerning age. I had made the age doesn’t always equal maturity topic earlier and brought it up again. 
And yes when dealing with minors any abuse pushes ramifications off the chart.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve come to the conclusion the activity isn’t going to adopt or accept mandatory and enforceable violations of individuals or organizations.

IMO it’s only a matter of time before a reported incident gets brushed under the rug again that will shutdown the whole activity. National news and a family with disposable resources to hire the best legal representation will be all it will take. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Poppycock said:

I’ve come to the conclusion the activity isn’t going to adopt or accept mandatory and enforceable violations of individuals or organizations.

IMO it’s only a matter of time before a reported incident gets brushed under the rug again that will shutdown the whole activity. National news and a family with disposable resources to hire the best legal representation will be all it will take. 

It doesn’t matter anyway.  They’re selling tickets hand over fist this winter.  I heard you can’t get anything decent for Indy.  People are obviously fine with the status quo so us jawboning about it doesn’t make a #### bit of difference. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2022 at 6:24 PM, LabMaster said:

No maybe about it!  Train each corps exec team and key org leaders.  Include language in all mm contracts.  Legalese the $&?? out of it.  Penalize non reporters (this is a real thing in the non DC world. Don’t report a crime you are aware of and charges can be brought against you. There are things that are easy to do.  It’s got to start somewhere.  How about everyone go after the DCI execs to get action? Expose THEIR inaction.

In addition to the (IMO required) legalese, Include a very blunt phrase like 'Don’t report a crime you are aware of and charges can be brought against you.'

And make everyone sign a notarized version of this page.

Another thought - they (staff/instructors/whomever) are required to report the incident, not investigate the incident.  Leave the investigation to those whose job is to investigate.  I think part of the current problem is that staff/instructors/whomever was told of an incident decided to investigate it on their own, & then made the decision to not report the incident.

So, the above-mentioned legalese & blunt page also needs to spell out the report, don't investigate side of this.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
punctuatio.n
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I’ve come to the conclusion the activity isn’t going to adopt or accept mandatory and enforceable violations of individuals or organizations.

IMO it’s only a matter of time before a reported incident gets brushed under the rug again that will shutdown the whole activity. National news and a family with disposable resources to hire the best legal representation will be all it will take. 

I'm afraid you may be correct.  A family that has the cash to send a kid to DCI could have the cash to lawyer-up.

And before I get yelled at - I know that many marchers & their families scramble to find a way to afford DCI.  But not all of them - some members com from situations where money for DCI isn't an issue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I’ve come to the conclusion the activity isn’t going to adopt or accept mandatory and enforceable violations of individuals or organizations.

IMO it’s only a matter of time before a reported incident gets brushed under the rug again that will shutdown the whole activity. National news and a family with disposable resources to hire the best legal representation will be all it will take. 

Surprised it hasn’t been shutdown already with all the stupidity. Corps and DCI seem to be always crying poor, defending against a lawsuit should nail the budget.

Seriously wonder how this is affecting the insurance costs….

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Surprised it hasn’t been shutdown already with all the stupidity. Corps and DCI seem to be always crying poor, defending against a lawsuit should nail the budget.

Seriously wonder how this is affecting the insurance costs….

I’m surprised that between Covid and this stuff that they can find any schools for housing sites for tour. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m surprised that between Covid and this stuff that they can find any schools for housing sites for tour. 

Well Spirit did lose a housing site as announced a few days ago. Don’t think anyone took the legally scary step to say why:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well Spirit did lose a housing site as announced a few days ago. Don’t think anyone took the legally scary step to say why:

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that the dominos have fallen one after another for Spirit in this last week. I wouldn't be surprised if any housing that they had already secured pulled the plug by mid to late week. Whatever the background story is, we won't ever hear it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...