Open letter to ALL CORPS DIRECTORS

On 1/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jeff Ream said:

exactly. we all now drum corps doesn't do well learning from past mistakes

Isn’t it ironic that an activity where an entire competitive season is based on correcting mistakes to obtain the best performance possible, can’t fix these kinds of issues, even knowing what they are and what they should do to fix them.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Isn’t it ironic that an activity where an entire competitive season is based on correcting mistakes to obtain the best performance possible, can’t fix these kinds of issues, even knowing what they are and what they should do to fix them.  

Wow flashback as a 16 year old in a Senior corps. “Judges don’t care who you are or your age. You get judged the same as (30ish sop player on corps BoD)”. 
What was unsaid: so no excuses if you catch hell for screwing up

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t believe for one hot minute that they didn’t know.  Everyone acting so shocked and clutching their pearls. Just like people acting like they didn’t know what was going on in Allentown.  Yeah.  Sure.  Right.  

Thank You, 100%...Including the sanctimonious who now being praised at other places who spent decades there and not to leave out some of the so called " whistle Blowers " who were all on board for years until they were insulted when no longer needed or wanted or outlived their usefulness to ...well you know the rest. Selective morality I think

• Like 5

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Thank You, 100%...Including the sanctimonious who now being praised at other places who spent decades there and not to leave out some of the so called " whistle Blowers " who were all on board for years until they were insulted when no longer needed or wanted or outlived their usefulness to ...well you know the rest. Selective morality I think

All you had to do was look at the Glassdoor reviews of YEA to see what a toxic workplace it was …but we don’t want to talk about that.  Abuse is abuse.  Women were called derogatory names for being overweight as if that had anything to do with their work performance in an office environment.  It’s right there on Glassdoor.  Or at least, it was.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

All you had to do was look at the Glassdoor reviews of YEA to see what a toxic workplace it was …but we don’t want to talk about that.  Abuse is abuse.  Women were called derogatory names for being overweight as if that had anything to do with their work performance in an office environment.  It’s right there on Glassdoor.  Or at least, it was.  

Unfortunately, when you have a serial narcissist in charge who also happens to have toxic masculinity issues, it's just a breeding ground for all of the actions that should cause you to get your brakes beaten off you. And yet somehow, they seem to get away with it for more than people want to admit to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 6:10 AM, rpbobcat said:

I agree with the concept of changing the touring model.

I disagree with  "It just isn't going to work anymore in this day and age." 

As long as corps have enough MM ($$$$$)  and staff  to tour, and as long as DCI can keep selling tickets to their events, there's no  reason to expect anything to change.

Unless and until the corps and DCI feel a financial "pinch" it can, unfortunately ,continue to be "business as usual" .

What I meant was the days of months long tour driven seasons on buses and sleeping in schools/churches etc is over. Sure there will be DCI shows and selling of tickets. Just not long tours and any of that old under the radar off the grid lotsd of corps are just touring around and competing in the same volume of local regional and national shows like it used to be.

I mean any of us who actually toured know how it used to be. In this day and age? About as much of a chance as LSD and timothy Leery making a comeback in rooms of pillows and beads broadcast on you tube.  

Lots of quality staff have moved onto other similar vein artistic gigs and away from DCI. The liability and risk are simply too high and economically nobody is gonna work for nothing either if they can get a better gig doing the same thing.