DCI’s 50th Anniversary

5 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

One of DCI's problems (among many) is their lack of transparency and communication. There has been virtually nothing from them about special events/performances they are planning for the 50th. Isn't is time for Mr. Acheson to step down?  DCI needs a major shake-up, starting at the top. 

maybe not everything is finalized. I know Bluecoats alumni is to be there

4 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

I heard that they have just over 500 people, including a 300 person hornline!!

well they had a ton of registrations but who knows what the final count will be. 

13 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

One of DCI's problems (among many) is their lack of transparency and communication. There has been virtually nothing from them about special events/performances they are planning for the 50th. Isn't is time for Mr. Acheson to step down?  DCI needs a major shake-up, starting at the top. 

I would give them a bit of a break (we're still in the middle of a pandemic). My guess is the lack of revenue for the past two years has put them in a bit of a hole and they've had to scale back plans dramatically. They're probably just starting to get their feet underneath them. I'm sure we'll begin to see more come to life the closer we get to the summer.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I can recall hearing about four years back that there were plans in the works for gathering those who marched in 1972, various reunion corps, an alumni gathering like 2012 only farther reaching, and special events at Atlanta, San Antonio, and Allentown. These were concrete suggestions with actual names attached as to who would be doing what. No surprise the late Michael Boo was featured prominently. Most likely many of these plans have been scrapped if for no other reason than Covid-19. My guess is we’ll see video montages at finals that recall the history of DCI, and perhaps a traveling exhibition of the story of DCI, but not anything that could not be canceled easily.

I marched in prelims there.  I still have my prelim participant pass and finals ticket.  I wrote the finals scores on the back of my ticket.  My corps was 29th place.  It was a fun day.  Lots of finalist corps had fields lined in the back behind the stadium rehearsing.  You could walk from corps to corps and watch.  I was so young then. 😂 

I think the first corps ever to perform at DCI prelims was Hawthorne.  The second day, the first corps was Queen City Cadets from Cincinnati.  I think Dan Acheson may have been in the corps that year.  I know his brothers were. 

Somewhere in a box, I still have ticket stubs from both 1972 and 1973. I think tix were $5 or $6 then. 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was in section f.  It was only $4.50. 

Hard to imagine, huh? That won't even buy you a soda at finals now or any other event, for that matter. 

No kidding about being so young at that time. How my parents ever let me travel alone to Whitewater at age 15 and 16 with other older corps kids is astounding. Of course when I was that age, they probably were hoping that I'd get lost or kidnapped or something. 

• Haha 2