DCI’s 50th Anniversary

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Hard to imagine, huh? That won't even buy you a soda at finals now or any other event, for that matter. 

No kidding about being so young at that time. How my parents ever let me travel alone to Whitewater at age 15 and 16 with other older corps kids is astounding. Of course when I was that age, they probably were hoping that I'd get lost or kidnapped or something. 

I was 14.  I’m surprised my parents even let me be in drum corps.  They didn’t like it at all.

my finals ticket in 2019 was $125. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well they had a ton of registrations but who knows what the final count will be. 

FWIW, these registrations required a financial deposit that would indicated a relatively serious commitment.

As to the topic, DCI did have a lot of 50th anniversary plans being made before Covid. Many of them may even still be in place. But I think one of the lesson learned from 2020 was not to get the cart ahead of the horse during a pandemic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

No kidding about being so young at that time. How my parents ever let me travel alone to Whitewater at age 15 and 16 with other older corps kids is astounding. Of course when I was that age, they probably were hoping that I'd get lost or kidnapped or something. 

My first year (I was 16) my mom made me ride with “responsible” adults who were on corps BoD (they lived nearby). Learned a lot about bringing back an inactive corps, most discussions held in a local bar after practice. 🙄 I just sat there, drank my free cokes and listened.

After that rode in equipment truck… two of us sat on a metal trunk as there wasn’t a passenger seat (or seat belts). 😱

Edited by JimF-LowBari

[Thinks back to how I rode in cars and the toys we played with as kids]

How are any of us even alive?

• Haha 3

Yah i'm just remembering things like Jarts...and having one go errant and lodge itself into the neighors fence to the point dad had to pull it out, i could not.  Then were they considered unsafe to throw while the other team was standing behind their hoop?  nope. "hahaha, neat, try again!"

Or the build your own electronics set complete with metal parts and actual electrical hook up.  I mean...like "plug this in and then see if it works!"  ZAP. hahahaha!  cool!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I would give them a bit of a break (we're still in the middle of a pandemic). My guess is the lack of revenue for the past two years has put them in a bit of a hole and they've had to scale back plans dramatically. They're probably just starting to get their feet underneath them. I'm sure we'll begin to see more come to life the closer we get to the summer.

That makes sense, but they were sure on it in terms of merchandizing!  

I would just hate to see DCI waste the milestone.  It's an opportunity to celebrate the activity despite it's problems; self-inflicted and otherwise.  We could all use some celebrating, plus it could help re-engage some of the older alumni (e.g. the kind that donate).  

8 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Yah i'm just remembering things like Jarts...and having one go errant and lodge itself into the neighors fence to the point dad had to pull it out, i could not.  Then were they considered unsafe to throw while the other team was standing behind their hoop?  nope. "hahaha, neat, try again!"

Or the build your own electronics set complete with metal parts and actual electrical hook up.  I mean...like "plug this in and then see if it works!"  ZAP. hahahaha!  cool!

Jim threw a jart at his brother and it stuck in his stomach.  I shouldn’t laugh but 😂 

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim threw a jart at his brother and it stuck in his stomach.  I shouldn’t laugh but 😂 

I feel bad for laughing now.  

• Haha 1