DCI’s 50th Anniversary

53 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Yah i'm just remembering things like Jarts...and having one go errant and lodge itself into the neighors fence to the point dad had to pull it out, i could not.  Then were they considered unsafe to throw while the other team was standing behind their hoop?  nope. "hahaha, neat, try again!"

Or the build your own electronics set complete with metal parts and actual electrical hook up.  I mean...like "plug this in and then see if it works!"  ZAP. hahahaha!  cool!

Or clackers; to tie into the 50th, I wonder if these were allowed on tour in the 70s?  DCI could add a "Clacker" event at the Sound Sport Festival.

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

14 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Or clackers; to tie into the 50th, I wonder if these were allowed on tour in the 70s?  DCI could add a "Clacker" event at the Sound Sport Festival.

Oh i totally had those.  "Hey! watch them bounce forever.  put your hand between them to stop them."  

Then we discovered how to throw them overhead across the yard and ringer them on small trees. Basically using them as bolas.  

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim threw a jart at his brother and it stuck in his stomach.  I shouldn’t laugh but 😂 

Way off topic but screw ball cartoon called Venture Brothers (satire on Johnny Quest). There was a challenge of bravery. Someone would throw a jart into the air and see who ran away first. (No one was allowed to look up.) Finally one guy waited too long 🤭

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Way off topic but screw ball cartoon called Venture Brothers (satire on Johnny Quest). There was a challenge of bravery. Someone would throw a jart into the air and see who ran away first. (No one was allowed to look up.) Finally one guy waited too long 🤭

Well…

at least he didn’t look up.

• Haha 1

i think that...30 years ago we froze our ##### off in Madison, and many people left and missed the Kilties because most didn't know they were going to perform.

DCI never made THAT mistake again

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Did he win?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Yah i'm just remembering things like Jarts...and having one go errant and lodge itself into the neighors fence to the point dad had to pull it out, i could not.  Then were they considered unsafe to throw while the other team was standing behind their hoop?  nope. "hahaha, neat, try again!"

Or the build your own electronics set complete with metal parts and actual electrical hook up.  I mean...like "plug this in and then see if it works!"  ZAP. hahahaha!  cool!

Jarts, chemistry sets (mine had mercury and both red and silver aresnic) you could buy black powder literally anywhere. We used to make pipe bombs out of PVC pipes and lead pellets from our pellet guns. 

I don't so much wonder how I survived as much as I wonder how everyone ELSE survived. And I won't even get started on the 80s.....

14 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Jarts, chemistry sets (mine had mercury and both red and silver aresnic) you could buy black powder literally anywhere. We used to make pipe bombs out of PVC pipes and lead pellets from our pellet guns. 

I don't so much wonder how I survived as much as I wonder how everyone ELSE survived. And I won't even get started on the 80s.....

Staying O.T.

One of the experiments in my chemistry set was getting the mercury out of mercurochrome.

The chemistry set also had the "recipe" for balck powder (sulphur ,salt peter  and charcoal).

In high school we used Mercury in Physics class to study wave motions.

Different world.

Speaking of "Different World"  : its a great song by Bucky Covington .

Since we're waxing nostalgic about the old days, here's an idea for DCI's 50th:

How about, just for this championship, returning to the time-honored adjudication technique, 'the tick system'? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

(Leave the pitchforks in the barn and hold the 'dinosaur' comments. I'm just kidding...really...mostly.)

• Haha 1