DCI’s 50th Anniversary

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think that...30 years ago we froze our ##### off in Madison, and many people left and missed the Kilties because most didn't know they were going to perform.

DCI never made THAT mistake again

30 years ago, I learned how much of a difference one tenth of a point was... 👀

20 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

1 dropped rifle could be the difference between winning and losing a show.  

HMMM I remember thinking and even saying the same BITD  BUT really thinking about that...how dumb was that. If a show was lost why would it have been a dropped rifle causing that  and not a bad interval, a dropped stick, a soloist cracking etc etc or even a bad judge who didn't have to account for their decision .....I guess you get my point...lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

HMMM I remember thinking and even saying the same BITD  BUT really thinking about that...how dumb was that. If a show was lost why would it have been a dropped rifle causing that  and not a bad interval, a dropped stick, a soloist cracking etc etc or even a bad judge who didn't have to account for their decision .....I guess you get my point...lol

I do.  All those mistakes you mentioned were also eligible for a .1 penalty.  I just mentioned rifles cuz ours never dropped.  It wasn't allowed  🙂

By the way, "bad judges" today don't have to account for their decisions either.  It was subjective then as it is now.  Just a different type. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

The famous dropped rifle is used as an example due to the dropped rifle in the runner up’s performance in 1978 that caused a penalty and a tic which according to many cost the title. I would have to say I agreed, but I watched finals from the comfort of the living room thanks to WGBH, Channel 2, Boston so my view was limited.  

To get back to the 50th anniversary and recalling the early PBS broadcasts, I would love to hear the discussions between Peter Emmons and Gene Rayburn and his lovely wife Helen who cohosted the show. I recall they were a bit off the wall with Emmons not being amused, but I’d love to hear it again. No matter how crazy, Rayburn was a major television personality at the time. I can recall hearing he did it as a favor (though I’m sure it was a paid favor) for the President of WGBH in Boston who knew Rayburn. Both were members of the ultra exclusive Oyster Harbors Yacht Club in Osterville on Cape Cod. A friend of mine who caddied at Oyster Harbors claimed the old money WASPS/Mayflower descendants were embarrassed a game show host was a member of Oyster Harbors but also wanted pictures taken with him so they could say the hobnobbed with celebrities.

45 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The famous dropped rifle is used as an example due to the dropped rifle in the runner up’s performance in 1978 that caused a penalty and a tic which according to many cost the title. I would have to say I agreed, but I watched finals from the comfort of the living room thanks to WGBH, Channel 2, Boston so my view was limited.  

To get back to the 50th anniversary and recalling the early PBS broadcasts, I would love to hear the discussions between Peter Emmons and Gene Rayburn and his lovely wife Helen who cohosted the show. I recall they were a bit off the wall with Emmons not being amused, but I’d love to hear it again. No matter how crazy, Rayburn was a major television personality at the time. I can recall hearing he did it as a favor (though I’m sure it was a paid favor) for the President of WGBH in Boston who knew Rayburn. Both were members of the ultra exclusive Oyster Harbors Yacht Club in Osterville on Cape Cod. A friend of mine who caddied at Oyster Harbors claimed the old money WASPS/Mayflower descendants were embarrassed a game show host was a member of Oyster Harbors but also wanted pictures taken with him so they could say the hobnobbed with celebrities.

A penalty was nothing more than just another mistake. Avoidable? Yes just like any mistake. BUT thats was also the mindset of the day or times I think. AS I was as guilty of that thinking also back then. I would like to think over 50 years of DCI and before we learned alot, explored alot, grown alot and not forget that what comes before us contributes to who we are now..Now ,one can also say the good and bad of that...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I do.  All those mistakes you mentioned were also eligible for a .1 penalty.  I just mentioned rifles cuz ours never dropped.  It wasn't allowed  🙂

By the way, "bad judges" today don't have to account for their decisions either.  It was subjective then as it is now.  Just a different type. 

I've judged as well as taught under both times and I do believe there is much more accountability now. Gone is the mentality of " I call it as I see it and case closed " Now are all battles won? no of course not but criteria alone does , or at least is supposed to keep those who judge in line within those guidelines of criteria. Does it always work? naw , never  does. And yes subjectivity is present now as it was then but hopefully most ( we hope) at least stay within criteria.

Watching your old rile line was a treat for sure and for me was a good part of the reason I went from being in a hornline from a very young age to decades of being in the visual and guard part of the activity. That and having George Z, Bobby Hoffman, Pete Emmons and a few others as mentors.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So how did a DCI tick (have no idea) compare to a DCA tick (knew them well)? Or a ICA Sr circuit tick? Or ye olde Sr circuit Red Carpet Association (RCA) tick? Ok I did all those Sr circuits 🤪
Fun idea thought…

DCA judges didn't even agree on what was and wasnt a tick

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

actually pretty much circuit in the world has a review process in place for judges. with the digital systems used, a caption head or administrator can access any judges sound file from anywhere and listen to it. i know several band circuits were recordings are monitored regardless of protests from groups or not. There is some accountability there, just some places are more demonstrable in how they enforce things than others

• Like 1