DCI’s 50th Anniversary

30 minutes ago, ironlips said:

The last few postings are quite interesting to me. (I was teaching one of the top 3 in '78.)

If I am reading the gist correctly, the posters are implying that the outcomes would have been quite different, and perhaps more accurate, under the current system of adjudication as opposed to the 'tick' scheme employed in '78.

That's pertty much the reason why the tick had to die.

I would say that's a fair statement. 

The only reason I liked the tick system is, I really believe some sort of measurement of precision and execution needs to be in there. And maybe it is to some degree now. I'm still to this day trying to figure out today's judging. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is because that it is recorded as a penalty (which any field judge (not just M7M)  could mark & then give the dropped rifle back).  It indeed counted as 1/10 anywhere else, but it was listed as a penalty & that drew attention to it.

If someone dropped a piece of equipment it was .1 penalty, and if the person picked up the dropped piece of equipment (e.g. rifle) it was an additional full point (1.0) penalty!  You had to wait for a field judge to pick it up and hand it back.

I seen it!  🙂 

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

If someone dropped a piece of equipment it was .1 penalty, and if the person picked up the dropped piece of equipment (e.g. rifle) it was an additional full point (1.0) penalty!  You had to wait for a field judge to pick it up and hand it back.

I seen it!  🙂 

Yes - & the judge marked it on the bottom of the sheet as a penalty.  Whichever judge picked it up marked the penalty- example if field brass judge gave rifle back there was nowhere on brass execution sheet for dropped equipment, so it was marked at bottom as a penalty.  

4 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The only reason I liked the tick system is, I really believe some sort of measurement of precision and execution needs to be in there. And maybe it is to some degree now. I'm still to this day trying to figure out today's judging. 

I agree. I don’t think we’d see a huge change in which places where. Blue Devils competed based on the sheets in 1976 when they won their first title. The did in 2019 too. If you’re going to compete in a judged show, that’s what you do. However there would be some variation from night to night. At some shows a corps is spot on, at other times no. 

I know one judge who has judged drum corps and bands for about 40 years who believes that a problem with the tic system is that top corps were more sophisticated than the sheets that were used and as the corps improved, judging became more arbitrary which has been stated on this site many times. That being said, this judge also said there should be some infractions that deserve deductions. This is in keeping with other judges activities. Too much of a splash is a deduction in diving. Not completing a jump is deducted in figure skating. Not making a landing hurts in gymnastics. These deductions are in addition to lower scores. Personally I believe dropped equipment is one area that should be penalized.  I also think if audio systems do not work that are not the fault of the venue, there should be a deduction. There have been some audio failures that have had no impact on the scores even though it impacted the show. I don’t see it happening and I don’t think we celebrate the 50th by reinstating tics. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

1 dropped rifle could be the difference between winning and losing a show.  

Or a 17th place drum line (which placed 19th in Quarters).

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Does DCI have any special plans to celebrate its 50th anniversary?  So far, all I can find is merchandising.  

Maybe that’s it?

Do you know what’s interesting and sad for the amount of creativity we see on the field in this activity there is zero creativity when it comes to celebrations and hosting milestones. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

Marking ticks was a woefully inaccurate method of judging performance levels, as percussion instrumentation expanded, visual designs became less linear and more complex, and brass charts became more horizontal and less vertical.

Also, deciding what was and was not a tick was 100% subjective. How many ticks to assign in a group tick situation was also subjective. Field placement if the judge also played a role. A judge was supposed to be directly in front of the group being evaluated. If I was in front of the snares I was not supposed to mark a tenor tick, even if I heard something that might have warrented it. 

As to deciding what was and was not a tick…

I taught and judged in the Garden State Circuit starting in 1976. The circuit was a class “B” circuit. The directors decided at the winter meetings to have judges use a “national linear” judging standard. That meant all corps were evaluated as if they were competing against the Blue Devils, SCV, Bayonne, Muchachos, etc…even the very beginners. That lasted 2 or 3 weeks into the season, as corps zeroed out on captions, and total scores tanked. They quickly reverted to a circuit linear concept, and scores went back up.

• Like 3

"... there is zero creativity when it comes to celebrations and hosting milestones. "

If so, that's a big tick.

There are several very creative folks on this thread. If any of them were in charge of planning for the 50th I'm certain fascinating suggestions would be offered.

Suppose it were up to you. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

"... there is zero creativity when it comes to celebrations and hosting milestones. "

There are several very creative folks on this thread. If any of them were in charge of planning for the 50th I'm certain fascinating suggestions would be offered.

A giant 50th anniversary party for all alumni from all of Drum Corps the past 50 years.  Wear your corps jacket, or even your uniform if you have it and it fits.  Live bands, dancing, no-host bar, food trucks from the area, montages of Drum Corps throughout the decades on the big screen at Lucas.  

At Finals, bring out a representative (e.g. Drum Major, Color Guard Captain) from every corps that won DCI the past 50 years, preferably in uniform.  Let them hand out the medals. 

Drum Corps alumni parade in downtown Indianapolis the weekend of DCI.  Pass out 1 song for everyone to learn.  Post 1 color guard routine for flags and rifles (could even break this up into different eras to illustrate style differences).

Promote, promote, promote.  Film short snippets of alumni and let them speak on what Drum Corps meant to them.  This could be done NOW for free and posted on DCI's social media pages leading up to the season.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ironlips said:

I think what the poster above says would be great BUT I believe it could possibly  have to much focus on the past and not inclusive of the present and future. 

My opinion would be : Do all said above BUT include current members with an Olympic type beginning to championship week with opening ceremonies, 50th T shirts in corps colors, entering LOS corps by corps, entertainment. Make current members feel like they are part of something way bigger than their own corps or even them selves. That they are part of a long history and how they, are now part of that history.

A closing ceremony for all

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1