Jump to content

DCI’s 50th Anniversary


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I've judged as well as taught under both times and I do believe there is much more accountability now. Gone is the mentality of " I call it as I see it and case closed " Now are all battles won? no of course not but criteria alone does , or at least is supposed to keep those who judge in line within those guidelines of criteria. Does it always work? naw , never  does. And yes subjectivity is present now as it was then but hopefully most ( we hope) at least stay within criteria.

Watching your old rile line was a treat for sure and for me was a good part of the reason I went from being in a hornline from a very young age to decades of being in the visual and guard part of the activity. That and having George Z, Bobby Hoffman, Pete Emmons and a few others as mentors.

 

Thank you for faithfully contributing to the activity all these years!  👍

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually pretty much circuit in the world has a review process in place for judges. with the digital systems used, a caption head or administrator can access any judges sound file from anywhere and listen to it. i know several band circuits were recordings are monitored regardless of protests from groups or not. There is some accountability there, just some places are more demonstrable in how they enforce things than others

Thank you Mr. Ream.  I really shouldn't have implied I know a thing about modern Drum Corps judging as the last competitive show I marched was DCI Finals 1974.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Thank you for faithfully contributing to the activity all these years!  👍

Thank You🙂

Your corps DID influence an abundance of creativity, change to this day people who one way or another set an example for many aspects of the activity. AS I said in another post, we do have to look back and respect the past for who and what it was because all great things evolved from it. Without it and those from BITD there would be nothing today.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA judges didn't even agree on what was and wasnt a tick

One of Hershmans quotes that will be with me until the end “we have a DCA show this weekend… execute ###### execute” ( insert volume and emphasis on certain words as needed 😬)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

The famous dropped rifle is used as an example due to the dropped rifle in the runner up’s performance in 1978 that caused a penalty and a tic which according to many cost the title.

It was bad enough that just going around by word of mouth through the years. Can you imagine if DCP was around in 1978? That dropped rifle was the most unfair portrayal of a lost championship ever.  I can't even imagine how that young lady felt. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

It was bad enough that just going around by word of mouth through the years. Can you imagine if DCP was around in 1978? That dropped rifle was the most unfair portrayal of a lost championship ever.  I can't even imagine how that young lady felt. 

I think there may be a thread about this incident in the historical section. I know it has come up many times over the years.

At that time, finals was broadcast live, at least in Boston. It took place on a Friday  and there was a CYO or Eastern Mass circuit show the following day and a CYO show on Sunday. I’m sure every drum corps, band, and drill team competing those days heard about the incident as a warning, and it was the talk in the stands too. The first place finish was controversial and many thought the 1978 champion should have placed 3rd. The other big topic in the stands those two days was how the newly coed Kilties made finals over Boston Crusaders and Garfield Cadets. For most of the season it did look like Boston Crusaders would comfortably edge into finals. I’m sure in California Freelancers discussions,  who may have still been Capital Freelancers, replaced BAC and Garfield and a few summers ago a Cavalier alum claimed  they were the ones who were robbed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The first place finish was controversial and many thought the 1978 champion should have placed 3rd. The other big topic in the stands those two days was how the newly coed Kilties made finals over Boston Crusaders and Garfield Cadets. For most of the season it did look like Boston Crusaders would comfortably edge into finals. I’m sure in California Freelancers discussions,  who may have still been Capital Freelancers, replaced BAC and Garfield and a few summers ago a Cavalier alum claimed  they were the ones who were robbed.

3rd if for no other reason, the way they butchered Bottle Dance. That was pretty ugly. PR had beaten SCV fairly soundly that year in Whitewater. 

I don't remember too much about Boston, but I do remember the Kilts really surged and seemed to have peaked in Denver. Kilts had already beaten Garfield more than a couple of times. Cavaliers, I thought, were placed in prelims where they should have been. They were kinda stinky. 

 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

3rd if for no other reason, the way they butchered Bottle Dance. That was pretty ugly. PR had beaten SCV fairly soundly that year in Whitewater. 

I don't remember too much about Boston, but I do remember the Kilts really surged and seemed to have peaked in Denver. Kilts had already beaten Garfield more than a couple of times. Cavaliers, I thought, were placed in prelims where they should have been. They were kinda stinky. 

 

Cavies were a mess in 78.  I almost felt bad for them.  Almost. 😜

The Kilts were almost three points behind 11th place…my corps.  I kind of laughed because we had a lot of people who left us to march there.  Didn’t seem to hurt us much. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

HMMM I remember thinking and even saying the same BITD  BUT really thinking about that...how dumb was that. If a show was lost why would it have been a dropped rifle causing that  and not a bad interval, a dropped stick, a soloist cracking etc etc or even a bad judge who didn't have to account for their decision .....I guess you get my point...lol

It is because that it is recorded as a penalty (which any field judge (not just M7M)  could mark & then give the dropped rifle back).  It indeed counted as 1/10 anywhere else, but it was listed as a penalty & that drew attention to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

The last few postings are quite interesting to me. (I was teaching one of the top 3 in '78.)

If I am reading the gist correctly, the posters are implying that the outcomes would have been quite different, and perhaps more accurate, under the current system of adjudication as opposed to the 'tick' scheme employed in '78.

That's pertty much the reason why the tick had to die.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...