The Cavaliers 2022

Boston took 2nd plac and they deserved it. They are a new force to be reckoned with . I would not be surprised if they beat BD. Their show has it all. BD is same ole same ole BD. We will see. Cavies went backward a little. 

• Thanks 1

Cavaliers are not capitalizing on some design elements that could be tweaked for greater effect.

Visual is lacking majorly. GE is suffering.

I've disengaged from the scoring aspect of all the corps this year,  and I'm just going to try and enjoy the season the way i did last year.  There's too much I disagree with to do anything else.

There's too many design issues, even at the top that are being ignored.

Edited by jjeffeory
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Cavaliers are not capitalizing on some design elements that are could be tweeked for greater effect.

Visual is lacking majorly. GE is suffering.

I've disengaged from the scoring aspect of all the corps this year,  and I'm just going to try and enjoy the season the way i did last year.  There's too much I disagree with to do anything else.

There's too many design issues, even at the top that us being ignored.

This season reminds me of 2018 for the Cavaliers. IMHO it was a huge design miss. The whole summer I was thinking when are they going to add/change…and it never happened. It felt forced and incomplete.They were lucky that year to finish 6th and this year they’d be lucky to finish in 6th. 

on a side note I’m not sure why they created a show evolving around the music of Bent Knee. One piece would’ve been enough. Is someone friends with the members of the band? I know they came to a rehearsal. The music seems very fragmented with too many selections.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

This season reminds me of 2018 for the Cavaliers. IMHO it was a huge design miss as well. The whole summer I was thinking when are they going to add/change…and it never happened. It felt forced and incomplete.They were lucky that year to finish 6th and this year they’d be lucky to finish in 6th. 

on a side note I’m not sure why they created a show evolving around the music of Bent Knee. One piece would’ve been enough. Is someone friends with the members of the band? I know they came to a rehearsal. The music seems very fragmented with too many selections.

All the writing is too dense and too on the nose. The music is expertly written, but dense. The drill is too dense, and too confined. The props seem like an afterthought and aren't as interesting as other corps, which seems like is a problem in today's DCI. 

There's little subtlety in the design. It just comes across as everything they do being brute forced.  Even the technical stuff is brute forced.  They have one of the best hornlines, but they're being used as a blunt instrument of power and intensity. The hornline is getting credit for their abilities much in the same way that the Cadets were dumped on in 2016. Caption bleed and all of that....

I'm over the mashup design. Honestly, they're trying too hard to be BD, when they should be the Cavaliers. The marching style changed. The type of drill they do has changed. It is obvious that they're not leading, they're following.

I am sick of every middle tier corps trying to emulate BD in one way or another, either through costuming, drill, writing density, or whatever combination of this and more. 

2019 was fresh and worked, but 2018 was a big miss even though their performance captions were doing better. 2017 worked ok with the current design paradigm, and 2016 was ok, for me, but this era from 2016 to now feels like it should run its course.

Boston has figured out how to be Boston, well maybe a bit of a mashup between old Cadets and old Crown from a design standpoint, but they're also trying to lead.

SCV has figured out finesse and power while still being modern SCV.

Blue Stars are being themselves, which is fresh.

Mandarins are taking BIG risks, and it is paying off, even if they are a little BD 'ish' at times.  

Cadets are back to being Cadets with modern updates and ideas that seem to be working well for them.

I really feel sorry for the missing bass drummer, too. I'm sure that is really hurting their drums and music scores right now.

I'm sorry, it is not the performer's fault, and it's not really Covid either. Even if they end up in 6th, they need some more fresh eyes at the design table. The design team comes up with mid tier ideas that are polished into upper tier shows. I hear Pete Weber is pretty good at writing drill.

Anyway, flame away. I love my corps, but the design could be better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

This season reminds me of 2018 for the Cavaliers. IMHO it was a huge design miss. The whole summer I was thinking when are they going to add/change…and it never happened. It felt forced and incomplete.They were lucky that year to finish 6th and this year they’d be lucky to finish in 6th. 

I agree about the music. Cavies have been known to mash up pieces from contrasting genres, but in the past, those mash-ups have actually worked both to highlight the uniqueness of each piece and managed to came together with a synergy that was not anticipated. In addition, the music seemed to fit the visual and the overall design--they all meshed. I know that these guys are working hard to recover two weeks and I am very proud of their resilience, but the design does not seem to be gelling for this year overall, despite some typically cool Cavies moments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

All the writing is too dense and too on the nose. The music is expertly written, but dense. The drill is too dense, and too confined. The props seem like an afterthought and aren't as interesting as other corps, which seems like is a problem in today's DCI. 

There's little subtlety in the design. It just comes across as everything they do being brute forced.  Even the technical stuff is brute forced.  They have one of the best hornlines, but they're being used as a blunt instrument of power and intensity. The hornline is getting credit for their abilities much in the same way that the Cadets were dumped on in 2016. Caption bleed and all of that....

2019 was fresh and worked, but 2018 was a big miss even though their performance captions were doing better. 2017 worked ok with the current design paradigm, and 2016 was ok, for me, but this era from 2016 to now feels like it should run its course.

Boston has figured out how to be Boston, well maybe a bit of a mashup between old Cadets and old Crown from a design standpoint, but they're also trying to lead.

Blue Stars are being themselves, which is fresh.

Mandarins are taking BIG risks, and it is paying off, even if they are a little BD 'ish' at times.  

Cadets are back to being Cadets with modern updates and ideas that seem to be working well for them.

I'm sorry, it is not the performer's fault, and it's not really Covid either. Even if they end up in 6th, they need some more fresh eyes at the design table. The design team comes up with mid tier ideas that are polished into upper tier shows. I hear Pete Weber is pretty good at writing drill.

Anyway, flame away. I love my corps, but the design could be better.

Showed up to Cavies thread. Was not disappointed.

SCV has figured out finesse and power while still being modern SCV.

:worthy: Big praise. Thank you. I can't help but embarrass myself over how proud I am of 22.

Honestly, they're trying too hard to be BD, when they should be the Cavaliers. The marching style changed. The type of drill they do has changed. It is obvious that they're not leading, they're following.

It always hurts to read or hear when an alum can't see the characteristics that define their corps. I'm not immune to this, so it really resonates. I've seen some of the best alum instructors get pushed out/fall away of my house and can't help but feel it's connected. Also, when our friends across the bay keep winning, it makes sense to emulate. I suppose our rivalry prevents a lot of that for us?

I'm genuinely excited to watch this Cavies show progress. This is my first time tuning into a season in a very long time and I know my mentor, a Cavies alum would be proud.

He'd be proud and every bit as sharp with the feedback as you are. I appreciate that.

I really feel sorry for the missing bass drummer, too. I'm sure that is really hurting their drums and music scores right now.

My partner noticed it too. I know what losing a bass drummer means and have been thinking of holes as phantom limbs. Wishing them a safe and thorough recovery.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Showed up to Cavies thread. Was not disappointed.

:worthy: Big praise. Thank you. I can't help but embarrass myself over how proud I am of 22.

It always hurts to read or hear when an alum can't see the characteristics that define their corps. I'm not immune to this, so it really resonates. I've seen some of the best alum instructors get pushed out/fall away of my house and can't help but feel it's connected. Also, when our friends across the bay keep winning, it makes sense to emulate. I suppose our rivalry prevents a lot of that for us?

I'm genuinely excited to watch this Cavies show progress. This is my first time tuning into a season in a very long time and I know my mentor, a Cavies alum would be proud.

He'd be proud and every bit as sharp with the feedback as you are. I appreciate that.

My partner noticed it too. I know what losing a bass drummer means and have been thinking of holes as phantom limbs. Wishing them a safe and thorough recovery.

I just want them to be at their full potential, and be unique. 

It's NEVER about the members, it's ALWAYS about the design.

What works for the Academy, Colts, Avon, Chino Hills, doesn't really work for Cavaliers, imho. Even the drill in the 2019 show was dense and cut the field up way too much. It was better than this effort, but still not as good as it should be. It's a big issue, imho.

I'll just leave it at that.

I'll go and root for all the corps, no matter what, but at the same time, I'll call a spade a spade.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I just want them to be at their full potential, and be unique. 

It's NEVER about the members, it's ALWAYS about the design.

Yes, apologies. I never meant otherwise. But that further illustrates both of our points: that design choices that don't quite line up with the soul of the corps can obscure the potential of the MMs.