If the DCI organization went away???

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

…. How would it affect the individual corps?

For you Marvel comics fans, gonna play “What If?”

What If? DCI got clobbered with a major lawsuit that zeroed out the books. Or What If? The board decided to disband the organization. 

How would it affect the individual corps in both WC and OC? IOW time for the alternate history

(getting popcorn)

Now for the real answer...

I honestly believe that a new organization - even if it were simply a polished mirror of DCI - would quickly be born to pick up the pieces and move on in a manner similar to what we currently see right now.  Perhaps that organization would fall under the auspices of a current entity (ex. Varsity, Music for All, etc...) or maybe it would be completely independent.  Either way, the model itself needs serious adjustments, but I would argue that it's not completely broken.  With a relatively complete reset/refresh, it could be more successful and be better equipped to handle incidents that will inevitably occur on occasion in any type of group activity.

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

If Drum Corps would continue at all it would just re- org. Gone are the days of the local support groups, So before any one says go back to whatever, IMO that would never happen . Corps formed DCI to decide their own path and IF it were to continue would do the same.

be like a former organization in the east...rebrand, maybe new location, and skip debts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjohn76 said:

Roman Blenski would fire up the Winnebago, round up the old DCM cones, and ride onto the scene in a cloud of dust/smoke to announce the launch of a new organization that would be succeed DCI and be "better every day".

til a kid needed to go to the hospital

21 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Happens all the time😉

oh i know, some were just better at it more often

• Like 1

Most of the corps would have to walk away and call it a day, because it'd be too much work to start over, and there'd be too much division of opinion on how to re-organize to make it effective (5 or 6 of the WC corps would want to be marching bands with woodwinds, the others wouldn't, and the complexities of trying to manage the competitions and the diffuse message would make it a mess)

It was a fortunate turn of events that the leaders that founded DCI did so when they did - they escaped from the vets organizations just before they both started tanking, and found a visionary leader who could help mainstream the product to a larger audience. The fact that it has lasted 50 years is a testament to their vision and their timing. But minus the brand awareness that DCI has built up, it'd be a hard slog to create anything equally specific. Some might find a way to put together a summer band circuit (hey, Bluecoats could have as many woodwinds as their little hearts desire! 😄), but it's unlikely they'd be able to grow their number, so after a season of 10 or 12 shows, performing to modestly sized audiences, they'd have to fold it up, since you can't run a real league with just a handful of teams.

Edited by Slingerland

My opinion ...... Whatever the organization is, they should take total control! Don't let designers and directors decide what is judged. Think about selling to the fans as well as bring in new fans. ENTERTAINMENT!!!! The organization should have final say on what staff members are being hired by each corps, thorough background in vestigation on ALL staff members and volunteers for ALL corps. That's just some ideas

• Like 1

There were discussions about this very topic in 2020. My understanding is that these conversations were centered around regional participation ending with a shorter touring schedule. Perhaps that what was actually used last season. I do remember that the goal was to imitate/mirror the WGI performance model within a summer seasonal footprint. It will be interesting to watch the partnership between DCI and Varsity develope the next few seasons.

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, mjoakes said:

If DCI went away, someone or group with $$$ should consider the NFL model. Corps would freak out over loss of control until they might later experience a bit of liberation to focus more on what they can do best - develop and manage their corps to educate and perform.

I have been saying this since the Hopacolypse -DCI needs a strong, empowered executive director that is willing to make the hard calls, rather than leaving it to the individual Corps.  In the NFL, the owners pay Roger Goodell to deal with TBI, off-field assaults, deflated footballs, etc.so the owners don't have to.   And when the NFL speaks, that is that.  Yes, deflate-gate was litigated in court, but I doubt any Corps in DCI has the resources to go that route.

• Thanks 2

The activity needs a National Governing Body.  Any other replacement would go through the same things DCI is going through.  

The *individuals* in the activity need to be the members of the NGB, not just the corps.  

Example: Are you a volunteer for a corps?  You must abide by rules from the NGB on how volunteers prepare meals, etc.  

• Like 1